• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • THolland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I wanting to see what would be the best route to take so here we go:

I am wanting to turn one of 870's that I have into a 3 gun shotgun, since I'm new to the game I want to use what I have until I figure out if I want to go full tilt in and upgrade to a high end auto.

Could/Should I have the slug barrel milled and threads cut to accept choke tubes I already have or the field barrel cut down,milled and threads cut to accept the choke tubes that I already have?

Is there anybody on the board that has done this,Has the ability, knowledge, expertise to do this or could recommend a gunsmith to do this?

Would also need to do some work on the vent rib on the field barrel - removal preferabily.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Because he wants an 18" bbl that will take chokes.

That said, you can occasionally find 18" remchoke bbls with bead sight on gun broker.

THolland

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I have a smoothbore slug barrel for my 870's but didn't know if that would do the job for regular shot shells and it sounded to me that the standard was to have a 22" - 24" long barrel.

with the slug barrel i would think you would be at a disadvantage shooting at longer range targets(25+yard targets) with shot (#8 & buck shot) , I guess I may be over thinking the need for a barrel that you can change choke tubes for changing stages.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Factory slug bbls for 870's run 20" (21" for 1100's).

Smoothbore, it should have an Imp. Cylinder choke.

The 20" looks good with a corresponding length mag extension.
    They made/make rifle sighted slug bbls with Remchokes (also cantilever models).

To cut a bbl and go lesser length, that might make the barrel too thin for a Remchoke at that new muzzle position (the factory Remchokes go to a slightly thicker bbl area if you look close enough).

I did see an AOW that was done with Remchokes recently on the web, but then the bbl is very short and that position probably offers more material, maybe comparable to regular Remchoke bbl muzzles.

Installing chokes gets done all the time on thin bbls, Truchoke is one type.

IMHO if you want Remchokes, then get a 20" Remchoke deer bbl. Most places charge at least 100 (old price) to install chokes, then there's the off brand aspect.

Get a factory used bbl..........but please check it before purchase. Back in the 90's Remington put out a lot of crap, choketubes not concentric.

Dom at B&M Specialties in Speedway might just have what you need. With turkey season coming up that type of bbl might be in demand...........but then they made them in polished blue as well as matte, and that might hinder the value ;) I'd check with him and if he has one see about a trade of some sort.

Good luck.

Top Bottom