• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    My Remington 870 Express was having a real problem jamming with cheap rounds. I was told to polish the chamber with steel wool on a cleaning brush to help eliminate this problem. It did eliminate the problem but now the bolt opens when I fire the gun, sometimes all the way and sometimes just a bit and sometimes not at all. This seems wrong to me as I have a old Wingmaster that does not do this. Also, the forearm does not move at all which seems odd because the bolt rests on the two arms connected to the forearm.

Is this normal or did I screw something up ?

papa6x

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I don't know about screwing it up, but I'm sure it's not normal. I don't think you got it put back together right.

papa6x

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    If I understand you correctly, the bolt is opening even though the forearm does not move? If so you need to take it apart and put it back together again. It is not normal. There is a steel plate that I am pretty sure you have on upside down. The bolt sits on it. I don't know its name, but I have put it in wrong and discovered it way before I fired a round. Thank goodness.

Last edited:

saleen4971

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 3, 2013
    East Side Indy
    ^^^ that.

i had a semi-panic moment once, when firing slugs - the bolt/grip unlocked, and since my hand was on it (and for some reason i was pulling the gun into my shoulder with BOTH hands) which caused the action to open

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    It is relatively normal (and annoying) for a pump gun to partially or totally open when firing high recoil rounds (slugs). Your issue was likely exacerbated by honing your chamber and reducing the grip of the round to the chamber.

What were you firing in it? If slugs, I would not worry. If cheap shot shells, I would be concerned if you plan to fire high recoil rounds from that barrel. I am not thinking it would do any damage, but having it self-eject every round and pull the forearm back would certainly mess up one's rhythm.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Actually it is highly desirable that the pump action open and eject the spent round upon firing. When you are ready to shoot again, just push the forearm forward and squeeze the trigger when it bangs home. It's all part of the"forearm is the safety" concept of the pump shotgun. I have been taught this in every combat shotgun class I have attended".

Last edited:

Spyco

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 26, 2012
    NWI
    Using recoil from your shot to help open the action is great for increase your rate of fire. Pump shotguns need all the help they can get in terms of follow up shots.

papa6x

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    SW Indiana
    OP said, (Also, the forearm does not move at all which seems odd because the bolt rests on the two arms connected to the forearm.). This isn't normal on any pump gun as far as I know.

papa6x

Top Bottom