Remington 870 Express mag extension advice...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sittydown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Hey guys, I'm looking for some advice for a mag extension for my Remington 870 Express Magnum. I believe the barrel is 20", that is, there is about 9" from the nut to the end of the barrel.

Requirements:
    1.) Reliability and durability are most important. Looks don't really matter to me.
    2.) I don't want the extension to protrude past the end of the barrel.
    3.) Cost.

I am going to be using a Mako forend, in case that matters on the mag extension. Just looking for personal experience, and feel free to post pics! Thanks!

Anybody have any suggestions? I know there are a lot of different options out there, just looking for opinions! Thanks again!

Last edited by a moderator:

duffman0286

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Wayne Co
    ati has a nice 6 or 7 shot extension in abs plastic or aluminum and are nicley priced im buying the aluminum 6 shot tube for my 870 with police barrel

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I like the Wilson Combat extensions the most (it has an integrated sling mount), but I have had shotguns with Remington and Choate extensions and have nothing bad to say about any of them.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    While I freely admit I will never put anything from ATI on any of my shotguns..............no matter who makes it do not use plastic for your mag extension or mag clamp.

No, I am not anti plastic, I have owned Glocks for 20 years.

As an FYI In short order I destroyed or watched fail every ATI accessory that ever went on an 870. They may be better now, but still a no go on plastic clamps or mag tubes.

My biggest issue with ATI is surely they KNOW some of their stuff sucks yet they still make it and have not improved it, like their mag clamp. There are too many proven designs out there to even consider their aluminum tube.

Mag tubes: Nordic, Wilson, Remington, Choate, S&J, Vang and Tacstar are all good and cover a wide price range.

Mag clamps: Nordic and Mesa. The simple mag clamp from Choate is not bad either.

The Choate mag tube "package" is probably the best value in terms of what you get for the money if budget is an issue. You get tube, spring, clamp and follower. You don't have to use a clamp on some +1 or +2 mags but since you will likely get a +3 use one. I use them on +2 and up. +3 goes flush with a 20" barrel

Last edited:

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Let me throw my 2 cents in here. Unless you're planning on shooting IPSC or 3 gun with it, leave it stock. Adding that much magazine and ammo to an 870 makes it SO muzzle heavy that it becomes difficult to swing and stop on a target. If this is going to be a home defense gun you are better off keeping the stock magazine tube and shortening the barrel. I extended my 18.5 in. 870 years ago and finally went back to the stock magazine. It really was more hassle than it was worth. A shorter gun is much easier to maneuver in hallways and door openings than a long one. But whatever you do DON"T buy one of the plastic or aluminum extensions. They don't hold up. And make sure to put a clamp on the end of it. Magazine tubes get bent VERY easily and if you trash the threads on the forearm you won't be happy.

sittydown

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Thanks very much everyone, this is exactly the kinda stuff I was looking for. I've already looked into all the recommendations so far, I appreciate it!

And thanks for the link, Que. Looks like lovemachine has the Remington mag extension on his 870, but it doesn't protrude past the barrel like some I've seen...

If anyone else has any input I'd be glad to hear it!

slow1911s

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Buy a Nordic extension and clamp. The clamp is a must on Remingtons because there is not enough purchase on the mag tube threads. Without one, the nut will work loose under fire.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Let me throw my 2 cents in here. Unless you're planning on shooting IPSC or 3 gun with it, leave it stock. Adding that much magazine and ammo to an 870 makes it SO muzzle heavy that it becomes difficult to swing and stop on a target. If this is going to be a home defense gun you are better off keeping the stock magazine tube and shortening the barrel. I extended my 18.5 in. 870 years ago and finally went back to the stock magazine. It really was more hassle than it was worth. A shorter gun is much easier to maneuver in hallways and door openings than a long one. But whatever you do DON"T buy one of the plastic or aluminum extensions. They don't hold up. And make sure to put a clamp on the end of it. Magazine tubes get bent VERY easily and if you trash the threads on the forearm you won't be happy.
    Nothing personal but I am going to shoot some holes in this with years of experience behind it.

Yes Aluminum does hold up, like Nordic. I have used Nordic for at least 4 years that I can remember. Light weight is the first reason I tested Nordic. The tube and clamp add very little weight. So little weight, if it is an issue, you should switch to using a 20 gauge or an AR.

If you add a +2 on an 18"+ barrel here is a clue. You can leave one or two shells out of the mag. If it helps you to keep the gun lighter, do it. It also allows you some versatility in ammo selection as you jam rounds into the mag tube. What do you need, buck or slugs, pull it from the saddle and load.

Examples: I will keep an 18" with 6 rounds in it and action open. No shell riding on the bolt. Load what I want and close the action or fully cycle to load the gun.

OR

Keep action open, no round on the bolt, only 5 in the mag tube. I can drop one on the bolt, slam shut jack another in the tube. I now know exactly what my first two rounds will be.

I tend to keep my guns filled with buck, mostly slugs in the saddle, one or two rounds of buck in the saddle, action open, no round on the bolt. Only issue is a full mag or minus one round for flexibility.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    I just ordered a Scattergun Technologies +2, I'll let you know how it is, when it comes in.

Also, I plan on securing it with an Elzetta shotgun flashlight mount.

nate77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Bunker Hill
    Just recieved my Scattergun +2 extension, this thing is built like a tank, and after removing the Express dimples, installation was a breeze.

I haven't had a chance to shoot the the gun, but I loaded and unload the gun a few times, and it cycled the shells perfectly. Also it held 6 shells as advertised, and is about a half and inch shorter than my 18.5" barrel.

Top Bottom