• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • wildhair

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I got a Remington 870 express 20 gauge youth. I was thinking of buying a full rifled slug barrel combo that comes with a scope, factory mounted and sighted. Its like, I mean like $250 big-ass dollars. Any body with experience with this setup? Accuracy and distance.

Mossburg doesn't make one for a 20 gauge.

Last edited:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I got a Remington 870 express 20 gauge youth. I was thinking of buying a full rifled slug barrel combo that comes with a scope, factory mounted and sighted. Its like, I mean like $250 big-ass dollars. Any body with experience with this setup? Accuracy and distance.

Mossburg doesn't make one for a 20 gauge.

Should be able to pick up a used slug barrel(rifled), scope and mount for well less than $250. The used slug barrels flood ebay, craigslist, gunbroker, etc. usually just in a matter of 2months after shotgun season ends. Alot of them were brand new that hunting season and have had well less than 30 slugs through them. 20ga. will be harder to get like that but not impossible. Should of went with the 12ga. and grown into it, unless you weigh 85lbs and can be blown away by a light wind.

wildhair

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Thanks remauto for the suggestion on waiting for shotgun season to end as i'm not in a hurry. I'll be checking for a used one for sure. Went for the 20 gauge because it's my wife's and she does blow away in the wind (110LB wet) and I am pretty small my self.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Wildhair - I actually have the 870 express 20 gauge. Went out a few years back and bought the cantilever barrel with scope for around 229.00 at the time for s dedicated deer gun. I spent a boat load on sabot slugs trying to find what it liked the best. After spending 50 bucks in ammo I found the Federal barnes sabot. I was only able to get 2 inch groups at 100 yards..good enough for deer hunting but nothing exciting.

Had the chance to shoot a H&R .44 mag handi-rifle. What a nice gun. No kick, accurate and 20 rounds of ammo way more inexpensive than 20 sabots. Picked on up for 220.00 and put the 870 in the safe. The H&R will shoot under 1 inch at 75 yards and 1 inch at 100 yards.

I suggest you look down that route. Easier for your wife to shoot and way way more fun. You can get a gun for the same price as the inaccurate slug barrel.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I would not trust that the scope is factory sighted in. I'll about guarantee its not sighted in from the factory, it might be bore sighted, but sighted in, and bore sighted are completely different things.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I would not trust that the scope is factory sighted in. I'll about guarantee its not sighted in from the factory, it might be bore sighted, but sighted in, and bore sighted are completely different things.

OMG, this...

We see ALOT of guys that come out to our range, ready to go, boxes of sabots lined up next to them, put the target out at 50 yards, start banging away, then getting frustrated when they aren't even hitting cardboard. "Well, the factory sighted it in" or "those guys at Gander bore sighted it with a LASER, should be dead on".

If anything, start with a cheapo slug at 20-25 yards, then walk the target back after getting near bull at 25. Get it close to the bullseye, the final sight in with the slugs of your choice.

IMPD31323

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    indy
    Last year at the 1500 i bought a 870 20ga rifled barrel for $100 out the door brand new. look around and you'll find a good deal. It's super accurate with copper slugs, barrel is a hastings

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    OMG, this...

We see ALOT of guys that come out to our range, ready to go, boxes of sabots lined up next to them, put the target out at 50 yards, start banging away, then getting frustrated when they aren't even hitting cardboard. "Well, the factory sighted it in" or "those guys at Gander bore sighted it with a LASER, should be dead on".

If anything, start with a cheapo slug at 20-25 yards, then walk the target back after getting near bull at 25. Get it close to the bullseye, the final sight in with the slugs of your choice.

At least they take it to the range. I cant tell you how many people Ive talked to that shot a deer in the gut, so the deer ran 2 miles and dies slow and painful, and I ask them what range they were sighted in for and they say "whatever it is from the factory". Then they go to the range and find out "Oh that's why I shot it in the butt, my zero is 2 feet right at 100 yds".

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    At least they take it to the range. I cant tell you how many people Ive talked to that shot a deer in the gut, so the deer ran 2 miles and dies slow and painful, and I ask them what range they were sighted in for and they say "whatever it is from the factory". Then they go to the range and find out "Oh that's why I shot it in the butt, my zero is 2 feet right at 100 yds".
    You must have talked to some of the same clowns that i've talked to over the years!:laugh:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN

Dios mio. The worst sound I've heard in my life was a wounded deer howling/screaming before we put it out of it's misery. Kinda like rabbits, I never knew they had a screaming sound until you hear it.

ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Wildhair - I actually have the 870 express 20 gauge. Went out a few years back and bought the cantilever barrel with scope for around 229.00 at the time for s dedicated deer gun. I spent a boat load on sabot slugs trying to find what it liked the best. After spending 50 bucks in ammo I found the Federal barnes sabot. I was only able to get 2 inch groups at 100 yards..good enough for deer hunting but nothing exciting.

Had the chance to shoot a H&R .44 mag handi-rifle. What a nice gun. No kick, accurate and 20 rounds of ammo way more inexpensive than 20 sabots. Picked on up for 220.00 and put the 870 in the safe. The H&R will shoot under 1 inch at 75 yards and 1 inch at 100 yards.

I suggest you look down that route. Easier for your wife to shoot and way way more fun. You can get a gun for the same price as the inaccurate slug barrel.
    I used my 870 with fully rifled barrel for several years with a lot of success. Although it is a 12 ga. and rifle sights, no scope, they do work well and I liked the Remington copper solids. $2 a slug was one of the excuses I used to go with a 44mag. Like clfergus said, almost no recoil. For the last 6-8 years, slaying deer like nobodies business. The H&Rs are hit or miss though, on accuracy. Rossi and CVA might be better as far as the single shots. I use an older Marlin lever-action and just bought a Rossi lever-action for this coming season.

Top Bottom