• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I bought a Remington 700 in 308 approximately 10 years ago. The bolt would slide right out while cycling. I contacted Remington they had me ship it to them. They kept it for around two months sent it back said it was fixed. I cycled it, and had the same problem. Did a repeat. However, it was only 6 weeks return the second time. Guess what it still wasn't fixed. I took it to my local gunsmith he replaced a few parts that he said were faulty and it worked great. I handed that rifle down to my youngest son. He loves it.

After that experience with Remington I don't feel like I want to buy anything from them anymore.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Remington produced Marlins, otherwise known as Remlins, were disasters for the first 3-4 years after Remingon acquired Marlin. The fit to finish was terrible. Barrels arrived with the sights visibly canted to one side. Lever actions would not work. There were repeated failures to fire and failures to eject. Those sent back for repairs were held for long times, and often returned unimproved. About 4-5 years after the buy-out The Remlins began to meet acceptable standards. Now, the Marlin name has been seriously tarnished. Marlinitis sufferers have found healing only in the JM stamp on the barrel—indicating the rifle was made by Marlin before Remington destroyed the brand. Lots of information on these matters can be found at Marlinowners.com.

Sad but true. Remington destroyed Marlin.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I bought a Remington 700 in 308 approximately 10 years ago. The bolt would slide right out while cycling. I contacted Remington they had me ship it to them. They kept it for around two months sent it back said it was fixed. I cycled it, and had the same problem. Did a repeat. However, it was only 6 weeks return the second time. Guess what it still wasn't fixed. I took it to my local gunsmith he replaced a few parts that he said were faulty and it worked great. I handed that rifle down to my youngest son. He loves it.

After that experience with Remington I don't feel like I want to buy anything from them anymore.

I had close to the same experience with Springfield. Multiple returns with little if any improvements and was talked down to by CS rep. Said his people were better shots than I or my friends were and I should work on my gun handling. :wow:
    It was a TRP tactical bull barrel model. Flagship 1911 and you couldn't hit :poop: with it. Nor could a few of my very accomplished shooting partners.

I usually just deal with any issues I have with a new gun and there have been a couple over the years but we fix them ourselves. We fixed this gun pretty well. On our own with out Springfield. That will be the last new Springer I ever buy.

I have zero faith in about any Warr. these days.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I had close to the same experience with Springfield. Multiple returns with little if any improvements and was talked down to by CS rep. Said his people were better shots than I or my friends were and I should work on my gun handling. :wow:
    It was a TRP tactical bull barrel model. Flagship 1911 and you couldn't hit :poop: with it. Nor could a few of my very accomplished shooting partners.

I usually just deal with any issues I have with a new gun and there have been a couple over the years but we fix them ourselves. We fixed this gun pretty well. On our own with out Springfield. That will be the last new Springer I ever buy.

I have zero faith in about any Warr. these days.

I'm starting to see your point in all of this CM. I've had my gunsmith fix several things the the original company could not. The exception was the CETME. The barrel was junk, and to get a new one, and have it installed was just about as much as I originally paid for it. It got sold as a parts gun to a friend who had one that ran like a sewing machine.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Remington produced Marlins, otherwise known as Remlins, were disasters for the first 3-4 years after Remingon acquired Marlin. The fit to finish was terrible. Barrels arrived with the sights visibly canted to one side. Lever actions would not work. There were repeated failures to fire and failures to eject. Those sent back for repairs were held for long times, and often returned unimproved. About 4-5 years after the buy-out The Remlins began to meet acceptable standards. Now, the Marlin name has been seriously tarnished. Marlinitis sufferers have found healing only in the JM stamp on the barrel—indicating the rifle was made by Marlin before Remington destroyed the brand. Lots of information on these matters can be found at Marlinowners.com.

I find this to be about half way right. True story on the road to Recent manufacture of Remlins. I recently cashed in and replaced all my JM’s with newly manufactured Remlins in all calibers. All told over my 50 years of shooting a total of 32 Marlin Rifles the consistency of my new ones are far better than all of my old ones. I can prove it at the range. Bring out any of your JM’s and I will show you the improvements.The bolts fit better, the barrels are better, the actions are better, the fit and finish is better. Granted it was a crooked road to where they are at now but a better product for sure is the end result. I am not a fan of the high finance of today’s stock mongers that run our gun companies but the blue collar workers have always done me good with the 870, 1100, 11-87, Bushmasters, 700, XP, 500 series, Rolling Blocks, and Custom Shop guns. I will miss this Small part of this huge financial mess. I walked the hallowed ground of big green back in the day and it is truly a sad story of what modern financials and bad decisions have done to this 200+ Old True American Company.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    I find this to be about half way right. True story on the road to Recent manufacture of Remlins. I recently cashed in and replaced all my JM’s with newly manufactured Remlins in all calibers. All told over my 50 years of shooting a total of 32 Marlin Rifles the consistency of my new ones are far better than all of my old ones. I can prove it at the range. Bring out any of your JM’s and I will show you the improvements.The bolts fit better, the barrels are better, the actions are better, the fit and finish is better. Granted it was a crooked road to where they are at now but a better product for sure is the end result. I am not a fan of the high finance of today’s stock mongers that run our gun companies but the blue collar workers have always done me good with the 870, 1100, 11-87, Bushmasters, 700, XP, 500 series, Rolling Blocks, and Custom Shop guns. I will miss this Small part of this huge financial mess. I walked the hallowed ground of big green back in the day and it is truly a sad story of what modern financials and bad decisions have done to this 200+ Old True American Company.

Agreed on the Marlins. There is no way I would pay a premium for a JM stamped Marlin if I wanted a shooter or hunting rifle, maybe for a collector's item but only a really good price. Many of the JM stamped Marlins built in the last 5-10 years before Remington took over had more than their share of problems, terrible accuracy caused by rough and oversized bores chief among them.

Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    Honestly? Good riddance, they have intentionally lowered quality of their guns, to the point where 870s rust after only a year or so, abysmal QC, terrible PR, and poor prices that can be found elsewhere for much better quality. I would trust my life to a Kel-tec over a nu-remington. Now let me preface, I am taking shots at new remington, not old remington before they started to fall. If you as a company starts to intentionally put out poor products, you should go under, it shows that the market decided you needed to change and you didn't. I also blame them getting bought out by Freedom Group, a blatant anti-gun conglomerate that likely bought Remington and intentionally had them put out lower quality products for the same price just to boost profit margins, and all the while making the customer base not want to buy more due to bad quality so they can have a reason to shut down a gun manufacturer.

If a company can't keep up in the age where gun manufacturing is so easy to get into, they have no reason to stay afloat, it is the market voting with wallets and the stubborn suits not wanting to adjust because "THIS WORKED BACK IN THE DAY, WHY SHOULD WE CHANGE?" The future is now old man, the gun market isn't a club for only the big boy companies anymore.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Honestly? Good riddance, they have intentionally lowered quality of their guns, to the point where 870s rust after only a year or so, abysmal QC, terrible PR, and poor prices that can be found elsewhere for much better quality. I would trust my life to a Kel-tec over a nu-remington. Now let me preface, I am taking shots at new remington, not old remington before they started to fall. If you as a company starts to intentionally put out poor products, you should go under, it shows that the market decided you needed to change and you didn't. I also blame them getting bought out by Freedom Group, a blatant anti-gun conglomerate that likely bought Remington and intentionally had them put out lower quality products for the same price just to boost profit margins, and all the while making the customer base not want to buy more due to bad quality so they can have a reason to shut down a gun manufacturer.

If a company can't keep up in the age where gun manufacturing is so easy to get into, they have no reason to stay afloat, it is the market voting with wallets and the stubborn suits not wanting to adjust because "THIS WORKED BACK IN THE DAY, WHY SHOULD WE CHANGE?" The future is now old man, the gun market isn't a club for only the big boy companies anymore.

They (Just like Colt) rode that good name straight into the dirt.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    It is sad to see what dead presidents And poor management have done to many of our oldest Gun makers. It seems We are headed to a place where we are a nation of importers or assemblers. Fueled by marketing campaigns and lower standards today’s consumer has said loud and clear what they will buy.

Nickbau5

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2020
    Brownsburg
    lower standards today’s consumer has said loud and clear what they will buy.

Except Remington was a lower standard, if a company lowers quality and expects to charge the same price, they are not a good company. I don't care about "they're an old company", if they can't survive in a market where there are more selections of better quality for better prices, then they have no reason to.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne

Agreed on the Marlins. There is no way I would pay a premium for a JM stamped Marlin if I wanted a shooter or hunting rifle, maybe for a collector's item but only a really good price. Many of the JM stamped Marlins built in the last 5-10 years before Remington took over had more than their share of problems, terrible accuracy caused by rough and oversized bores chief among them.

As I said earlier, there is a great deal of discussion about this issue on marlinowners.com. Today I found a thread there that speaks directly to this point. Remlin quality is still not up to par, and the old JM models still outperform the Remlins. Check it out here if you want further information. https://www.marlinowners.com/threads/just-looked-at-some-remlin-336’s-at-cabelas.611299/

Top Bottom