• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    And.............if you could plunk down $700 for a rifle that shoots one hole groups right from the get go................those "other guys" wouldn't be in business.

Not true. People love to think they are paying for quality, but mostly(to a point) they are paying for a name/prestige....and companies understand this and use it to their advantage, because they know that many consumers are not willing to investigate the quality and value of the products they purchase anymore.

My $1000 Kimber shoots just as good as a $5000 Wilson, and my mosin nagant can group as well as my 700 at 100 yards.

Hookeye,

It sounds like you are excusing companies for making faulty products repeatedly and selling them at a premium price....?

Would you buy a brand new car on the showroom floor just to have it towed to a mechanic and the transmission repaired?...I doubt it....would you buy two?

I have never had to send a savage or a mossberg back for repairs...and they are "cheaper" than the remmys.

I basically paid $550 for a rifle that has the wrong sights installed, a long scratch down the barrel, and a loading gate that shaves brass....and this is AFTER it was sent back for repairs....yup...still shooting 18 inches low at 25-50 yards.

You tell me if this is acceptable to you....

God bless
    -Shred

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    LMMFAO! It was hard to tell the sights where canted sense the VTR doesn't have irons on it! I don't think you are as "detail oriented" as you do.

This coming from someone that has repeatedly bought defective rifles? I was talking about the canted sights you obviously missed on the Marlin you bought. I must be pretty detail oriented, I've yet to buy a lemon gun, and I actually get paid for my attention to detail. Must be doing something right, my family eats well, has a nice home in a very nice neighborhood, and I got plenty of toys to play with.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Not true. People love to think they are paying for quality, but mostly(to a point) they are paying for a name/prestige....and companies understand this and use it to their advantage, because they know that many consumers are not willing to investigate the quality and value of the products they purchase anymore.

My $1000 Kimber shoots just as good as a $5000 Wilson, and my mosin nagant can group as well as my 700 at 100 yards.

Hookeye,

It sounds like you are excusing companies for making faulty products repeatedly and selling them at a premium price....?

Would you buy a brand new car on the showroom floor just to have it towed to a mechanic and the transmission repaired?...I doubt it....would you buy two?

I have never had to send a savage or a mossberg back for repairs...and they are "cheaper" than the remmys.

I basically paid $550 for a rifle that has the wrong sights installed, a long scratch down the barrel, and a loading gate that shaves brass....and this is AFTER it was sent back for repairs....yup...still shooting 18 inches low at 25-50 yards.

You tell me if this is acceptable to you....

God bless
    -Shred

I wouldn't think of tweaking a 700 as "transmission work".
    Maybe more like "pinstriping".

BTW I see a standard walnut or synth stock 700 as a base model car, not a performance model :)

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    FWIW my prev comments were about 700's in tupperware stocks.

The Marlin lever stuff..............heard that some employees were upset at the company change and may have put crap out in protest.
    Also heard that they were low on some parts and used lesser stuff from reserve.

Have seen some $$$ rigs bought through internet with scratches and other issues. Just another reason to buy stuff that one can handle before purchase.

True cosmetic or functional issues..................send it back 'til they make it right.
    Your Marlin stuff is different than a 700 shooting 2" with factory ammo in a cheap stock.

I shouldn't have had to state that.

BTW, look at how many "problems" get posted here and other forums........... that turn out to be something other than initially thought (or never was a problem).

You gonna staff a technically superior group to man every phone call or email, do followups.................on a probably 90+% ghost hunt?

So big companies are gonna fall victim to some level of efficiency once in a while. You got a problem with your gun, you probably won't be getting in touch the first time with the custom shop builder guy with 40 yrs experience. His voice might be less soothing than that cute gal looking at her computer screen guiding you through her fault tree ;)

Last edited:

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    This coming from someone that has repeatedly bought defective rifles? I was talking about the canted sights you obviously missed on the Marlin you bought. I must be pretty detail oriented, I've yet to buy a lemon gun, and I actually get paid for my attention to detail. Must be doing something right, my family eats well, has a nice home in a very nice neighborhood, and I got plenty of toys to play with.
    I'm a completely different person. Never owned a Marlin. And I only bought one defective gun.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I worked gun retail for a bit, and have been in this stuff a while before that..............yup, lemons do happen.

But most times it goes more like this............

Had a guy b*tching about his new Savage............QC issues etc.................turns out he put on some scope bases and used the longer screws where he shouldn't have.

His type tends to be the more common of the "guy with a bad gun".

I feel kinda sorry for people in business, having to deal with the tsunami of such folks.

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I worked gun retail for a bit, and have been in this stuff a while before that..............yup, lemons do happen.

But most times it goes more like this............

Had a guy b*tching about his new Savage............QC issues etc.................turns out he put on some scope bases and used the longer screws where he shouldn't have.

His type tends to be the more common of the "guy with a bad gun".

I feel kinda sorry for people in business, having to deal with the tsunami of such folks.
    I deal with people all day most are fine, MOST. But the few. It's a miracle I don't get arrested for assault once a week!

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    My gun lemons

Winchester 94 Big Bore in .307 (bought new, sold for a loss)
    Remington 742 carbine (bought used, traded back to shop where bought)
    Auto Ordinance Pitbull (bought used, traded back to shop where bought)

Still running less than 2%

My 1st and 8th Leupolds were bad from the factory. Pretty crappy % there. All since have been OK.

BTW I don't consider the need for stock work or trigger jobs to be out of the ordinary.

Last edited:

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    You got me on that one. oops. I am still batting 1000 on no lemons though.
    Good I hope you never have to deal with a bad gun! A easy, silly mistake to make! Pay attention to my posts, you will get countless opportunities to make me look silly!

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've had good luck with factory stocks (Walnut or Tupperware). Free float and bed the recoil lug and maybe around fwd action screw.
    On the Rem tupperware stuff also stiffen the fore-arm with epoxy.

One thing to check on the wood or Tupperware stocks............where the mag body attaches to the receiver, sometimes there's no clearance for that screw.
    Can either grind the stock material away or not use the screw/remove tab from body.

Should be done like that from factory, dunno why my last ADL wasn't (and maybe others- been a long time). I know I've had that on at least 2 rigs.

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    So the 597 I've had for six weeks is a POS just like my VTR was! 0 for 2 with Remington! Shoot the thing twice and couldn't get it to zero. So I sit down at the workbench today to go through my rings and rail to make sure everything is right, and what do I find? Two of the three screw holes holding the rail on the receiver are stripped! Thanks again Reminton. Going to have to spend my lunch hour tomorrow on hold with customer service, SUPER! Then I'll get to pay to ship it to them!

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    So the 597 I've had for six weeks is a POS just like my VTR was! 0 for 2 with Remington! Shoot the thing twice and couldn't get it to zero. So I sit down at the workbench today to go through my rings and rail to make sure everything is right, and what do I find? Two of the three screw holes holding the rail on the receiver are stripped! Thanks again Reminton. Going to have to spend my lunch hour tomorrow on hold with customer service, SUPER! Then I'll get to pay to ship it to them!

Screws get stripped by over torquing, which is not uncommon when folks mount scopes. How did you get a seperate rail on yours? Mine is milled into the receiver

engineerpower

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jun 1, 2008
    State of Boone
    I didn't care for my 597 either. Inside the action is horrible to clean, disassembly was a pain, and the stock scratched up sitting on a wood table. Sold that one off and no regrets!

BStarkey 46947

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 14, 2012
    I own 8 Remington long guns/shotguns and have never had an issue. Every manufacturer will put out faulty product from time to time.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    Screws aren't stripped the receiver is. I have the HB version FACTORY rail on top.

That is usually what strips, the thin reciever threads. It's an easy fix. Does it have the dovetailed rail milled on top like the normal version? Sometimes Pic rails are a dumb idea, never have understood why all manufacturers have to put them on everything.

Pughead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 22, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    That is usually what strips, the thin reciever threads. It's an easy fix. Does it have the dovetailed rail milled on top like the normal version? Sometimes Pic rails are a dumb idea, never have understood why all manufacturers have to put them on everything.
    Yeah it has the dovetail. I've decided to forego all the headaches and just go with the milled dovetail and get back to shooting it. It does seem like a bad decision to put a pic-rail on it. The metal is thin and SOFT! I didn't have any dovetail rings sitting around but I've got them on the way.

Top Bottom