Remington Model 510 Stock finish/refinish?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Still learning about taking pictures too. Really hard to get something that represents actual finished stock but here is my best shot.
    Thanks again for the help.
    -Pete

Sorry, screwed up inserting pictures.

Try it again.

http://i65.tinypic.com/15g7czr.jpg

http://i65.tinypic.com/313jedw.jpg

Once More

View attachment 70878

View attachment 70879

The rifle loods darned good.

IF you use TinyPic you'll have some issues with gun pics. As far as I know they quit letting guns be posted. I used to use tiny pecker but no more. I use Postimage now. Real easy to use.

Luckyoldguy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 20, 2017
    NE Indianapolis

IF you use TinyPic you'll have some issues with gun pics. As far as I know they quit letting guns be posted. I used to use tiny pecker but no more. I use Postimage now. Real easy to use.

Thanks. Got lots of good advice. I'll give Postimage a try. I was just trying to figure out Imgur but will try Postimage first.

coolatula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    I just refinished this little single shot Remington .22 with 7 coats of Minwax Tung oil and two coats auto wax. The grain depth is pretty good as it brought out each fiber and gave it a hologram/3D type effect which was what I was going for.
    Sorry for poor cell phone pics,but you get the idea.
    IMG_20181012_232245.jpg
    IMG_20181012_232307.jpg
    FB_IMG_1539644628595.jpg FB_IMG_1539644624885.jpg

Last edited:

Luckyoldguy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 20, 2017
    NE Indianapolis
    I just refinished this little single shot Remington .22 with 7 coats of Minwax Tung oil and two coats auto wax. The grain depth is pretty good as it brought out each fiber and gave it a hologram/3D type effect which was what I was going for.
    Sorry for poor cell phone pics,but you get the idea.
    View attachment 70935
    View attachment 70936
    View attachment 70941 View attachment 70942

Looks really nice. I'll have to remember that technique too. So many guns to fix up, so little time.

coolatula

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    Looks really nice. I'll have to remember that technique too. So many guns to fix up, so little time.
    Yeah the effect turned out how I wanted with the depth however this a low end Remington with straight grain with a few imperfections. That said I didn't want to take away the fact that it is a utilitarian rifle with a past. I left these "flaws" in the wood because it earned them and by it surviving as well as it did for these many decades. I could have invested another 8-10 hours to block sand all flats evenly,square up barrel channel sides ,etc. etc. and essentially make it better than new,but why? When is enough...enough?

The prep was Acetone for finish removal and light sanding with 120,400,600 grit sandpaper and then #0000 steel wool with Acetone wiping very often.

First couple of coats were moderate amount of Minwax Tung oil wiped on with clean/new micro-fiber rag about 10 minutes apart. soaked in for 24 hrs., steel wool lightly,
    clean off with dry microfiber rag

Next 3 coats wiped on very lightly, soak in 24 hrs each, lightly steel wool and clean off with dry microfiber rag each. It took FIVE coats cured at 24 hrs each(if you include first two same time) for the Tung oil to fully soak in to where the finish was even and glossy.

Next two light coats no wool, just clean dust with microfiber rag. By not sanding/steel wool last two coats this left a sort of textured very un-glass smooth like top coat(your mileage may vary) which I was fine with. Finish with two coats of Auto motive gloss clear past wax. Done!

This is just the way I did the finish and in NO WAY endorsing it. It came out looking how I expected and the wood showed even more tight grain/fiber structure being revealed than I could hope for in a low line(for the time) piece of straight grained Walnut.
    FB_IMG_1539644605439.jpg

Last edited:

Luckyoldguy

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 20, 2017
    NE Indianapolis

Just used Postimage to list the gun for sale. Think/hope I got it figured out. Like you said, it was pretty easy, even for this old fart who doesn't learn as fast as he used to. Thanks for the tip.

Top Bottom