• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I scored a great deal from a INGO member here yesterday. safarihunter had a Remington PSS .223 for sale and i couldn't resist. I added Leupold bases and a Leupold 4-12x40 scope and Harris Bi-pod and finally a stock ammo pad to slightly raise cheek weld.

This has a HS Precison V-block stock that has been professionally fully bedded. Now I definitely have the itch to go shoot but the dreaded work schedule is hectic but i'll be sure to get it out soon.

I measured the chamber for 3 different bullets and am ready to get started working it up for some bug killin' accuracy! :rockwoot:
    a8784bf7.jpg

sdh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    4 Corners
    I just purchased one also. Let us know what loads work the best for you. I started sighting mine in last night with some cheap 55 gr fmj last night. I have some 50 gr Hornaday v-max boat tail and some 69 gr a-max boat tail to try and see what it likes. The recoil is very nice, you can shoot a lot of rounds and not feel sore when you are done.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I have been working with the 700's in 223 for a while and while I know the trend is towards the heavy bullets but I dont' always listen well,

I shoot the hornady 52's and 55's , I have been dumping Varget in everything here lately and getting good results, I much prefer the boat tail bullets, seems like I get a little more consistancy in loading vs' the flat base.

but I was having trouble getting the accuracy that I wanted and the standard answer is put them closer to the lands, Well the newer factory barrels have plenty of leade and I kept putting the bullet out and didn't get what I was looking for, Well a much admired shooter and I were talking and he said something prophetic

"if it ain't working try something different."

Hmm

So I dropped back to seating bullets right at what the book says and my group size shrunk and became more round and consistant.

I guess what I'm saying is even with weighed sorted cases good bullets and good powder the seating depth may not follow all the old norms.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    I scored a great deal from a INGO member here yesterday. safarihunter had a Remington PSS .223 for sale and i couldn't resist. I added Leupold bases and a Leupold 4-12x40 scope and Harris Bi-pod and finally a stock ammo pad to slightly raise cheek weld.

This has a HS Precison V-block stock that has been professionally fully bedded. Now I definitely have the itch to go shoot but the dreaded work schedule is hectic but i'll be sure to get it out soon.

I measured the chamber for 3 different bullets and am ready to get started working it up for some bug killin' accuracy! :rockwoot:
    a8784bf7.jpg

Nice rifle. I think I would have to chop her down to about 18" though.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have the same rifle but in 308. It is an earlier version with 20 MOA one piece base and Leupold 4.5-14x Mildot scope and a Leupold 10x M4 scope. I love the stock and the gun is quite accurate. I had a 700 SP in 223 but sold it in favor of my CZ527 Varmint/Target in that caliber. Let us know how it shoots. :yesway:

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    What twist is Remington using in these?

My 700 PSS is 1 in 9 twist.

I just purchased some Hornady 55gr V-Max and am getting ready to work up some ladder loads. I'll also be working up some for the Sierra 53gr HP flat bases.

I'll be working these up in some new Winchester cases with Remington BR primers and H335 powder. Anyone use similar components and find a sweet spot for a 700 ?

I'll work between 24.0 and 25.2 grains.

Indycar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Birthplace of Steve McQueen
    My 700 PSS shoots LC 62 gr ball between 3/4" to 1" groups at 100 yds. Beyond that, the groups tend to open up as the bullets are not as precise as BTHP's. Fed GMM or Blackhills blue box 68 and 69 gr will group a hair over 1/2" and tend to stay 1/2 - > 3/4 MOA out to 400 yds. I've shot it further than that, but not on paper so I could measure. I can't really tell any differece in accuracy between the Fed GMM and the Blackhills reloads.

Mine doesn't do any better with anything over 69 grains. I tried Hornaday 75gr TAP and it shot about 3/4".

I've never shot any 55 gr in it and don't plan to as I standardize on 62 gr for all my guns and it's pretty cheap & accurate to practice with M855 ball out to 200 yds or so.

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    My 700 PSS is 1 in 9 twist.

I just purchased some Hornady 55gr V-Max and am getting ready to work up some ladder loads. I'll also be working up some for the Sierra 53gr HP flat bases.

I'll be working these up in some new Winchester cases with Remington BR primers and H335 powder. Anyone use similar components and find a sweet spot for a 700 ?

I'll work between 24.0 and 25.2 grains.

Sounds nice. I would be willing to bet some Varget ans 75 Amaxs would be killer in that thing.

I have a 700 P in 308. I cut it down to 22" put a Surgeon Arms detachable mag system on it,piller bedded and Devcon bedded the action. I also hand lapped the barrel. This thing shoots right up there with my 3k custom 700 I have. My cold bore shot is always right where the group will be. It is an amazing rifle IMO. Remington makes good stuff. It is even better with a few little TLC mods.

sdh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 30, 2012
    4 Corners
    I need to lighten the trigger a little on my 700pss. If anybody has done that before on an older model, I would appreciate the help.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Well this is starting to get really good. My Vortex Viper scope just arrived today in the mail. Now i just need to get the XTR scope rings and my Savage .308 will be back in action. Too much fun and not enough time.

I've got my first round of ladder loads for the PSS setup and ready to go to the range. Now i'm just hoping for a early day off work.

Last edited:

1$Chuck

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Columbus
    This is the most informative video I've seen on how to adjust the Remington 700 trigger. Just don't let the title turn you off.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SqRH3tHhdM[/ame]

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    I need to lighten the trigger a little on my 700pss. If anybody has done that before on an older model, I would appreciate the help.

I ended up going with an after market trigger, for the $100 made a nicer trigger than the adjusted OEM trigger, which is not bad but not a nice.

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    I took the 700 PSS to the range today for it's first intial test loads. The results were interesting especially when i got the last three rounds at 25.1gr of H335. The load at 24.5gr kind of threw me as it was really strung out but ohwell. I've seen stranger things happen.

I just made up 15 more rounds varying in between these initial loads and will narrow it down a bit more. Overall i'm happy with the results. .0144" average to center on the 25.1 load is pretty awesome. I used Hornady 55gr V-max bullets.

51d33898.jpg

JTinIN

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 13, 2010
    Home Range Richmond
    I took the 700 PSS to the range today for it's first intial test loads. The results were interesting especially when i got the last three rounds at 25.1gr of H335. The load at 24.5gr kind of threw me as it was really strung out but ohwell. I've seen stranger things happen.

I just made up 15 more rounds varying in between these initial loads and will narrow it down a bit more. Overall i'm happy with the results. .0144" average to center on the 25.1 load is pretty awesome. I used Hornady 55gr V-max bullets.

51d33898.jpg

Looks like 0.144 MOA not 0.0144 inch ... but still very nice. I would just load a box or two of that loading, clean the bore and see where it shoots with a clean bore for your own information, fowl the bore and shoot groups and see how it does with for an average.

Take Care
    John

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Yep, that darn decimal point got in the way again and i put it in the wrong place.... LOL. A few more times to the range and i'll have it narrowed down then i'll try your suggestion on trying a clean vs fouled bore. Right now i'm not going to clean it while tuning.

Top Bottom