Remington R51: The demise of a gun company?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Interesting article detailing the problems with the Remington R51. When combined with he fiasco Remington made of its acquisition of Marlin, it seems the company has serious problems.

Remington R51: Impending Demise?

Their 1911 R1 is a good piece of equipment, even though it has quality problems with it factory mags. It makes one wonder about the future of this once-great American company.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Really? They're thinking that the R51 is the start of the demise?

When they bought H&R, prices on the single shots went up over $70. Then late last year or early this year they make the announcement that there will be no more single shots.

When they bought Bushmaster, it wasn't uncommon to find ARs that were assembled wrong. I personally saw at least 5 where the castle nut and end plate were over a half inch from even touching the lower receiver.

The Marlin fiasco, another great piece of Freedom Group efficiency. You can still find 1895s there the rear dovetail still isn't cut properly (crooked)

AAC has gone down the crapper in customer service

Ton of 1100s out there that shoot low and too the left as well. Their muzzle loaders were so riddled with reliability issues Remington disowned they ever produced the original ones. The quality issues aren't something new, the R51 was just kind of icing on the cake. That little 380 they plan on making, I don't expect good things from it.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Shooter521 has made a very reasonable prediction. My question: Why? Remington is making a combination of poor business decisions, poor technical decisions, and extremely poor execution of both, all of which are well below its technical ability. Has someone been grinding up stupid pills and putting them in the water supply in Ilion or what?

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Shooter521 has made a very reasonable prediction. My question: Why? Remington is making a combination of poor business decisions, poor technical decisions, and extremely poor execution of both, all of which are well below its technical ability. Has someone been grinding up stupid pills and putting them in the water supply in Ilion or what?

They sure have fallen far ever since DuPont sold them.

x10

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    Martinsville, IN
    I think there are too many solid products for the company to go under, It may have some ups and down's but the 700 bolt action and the 870 shotgun will sellers in any market for a long time.

If one or two goofs put a company under then every company in the USA should be out of business.

I wouldn't worry about Reminginton.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Looks like Cerberus has been wanting to sell them for a couple of years. If Remington keeps losing money like they are, Cerberus may finally come down to a price that someone will pay.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I think there are too many solid products for the company to go under, It may have some ups and down's but the 700 bolt action and the 870 shotgun will sellers in any market for a long time.

If one or two goofs put a company under then every company in the USA should be out of business.

I wouldn't worry about Reminginton.

At what point will the bad press about their work with Marlin and R51 impact the confidence of the 870 fans? Probably not until the quality of the 870s drops like the Marlin quality did. However, Remington is not acquiring the rights to build the 870 so it would be hard for them to destroy that product. So, I think you make a strong point. They do have some good product lines. Hope they maintain that quality.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    All I know is if the Morongo Band of Mission Indians (prospective buyers of Colt) makes a bid for Remington, I'm taking La Familia Miguel back across the Atlantic! :laugh:

Gunaria

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 3, 2010
    Warrick Co.
    All I know is if the Morongo Band of Mission Indians (prospective buyers of Colt) makes a bid for Remington, I'm taking La Familia Miguel back across the Atlantic! :laugh:

If it wasn't for a loose slot at the old Morongo, I wouldn't have gotten my first 1911.

What is Remmy the new Ford??? Oh snap!

Remington will live on, don't fear.

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    Prediction: Remington will continue to make a mess of everything it touches, but will put out just enough products of reasonable quality to persist as a company much longer than it has a right to.

Ala Colt...?

My pre 90's Remington firearms are some of the best I have held or owned...I will NEVER buy a new remington product and will gladly take every opportunity I can to tell people how terrible remington is these days.

Makes me sad too...I want an R1 myself.

God bless
    -Shred

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    My R1 runs very well—since I replace the faulty original factory mag with Kimber mags. I wanted a basic military-style 1911 to learn the platform and the Remington, with a $75 rebate, fit the need and the price. Excellent weapon, once a tossed the faulty mag. Really wish Remington would get its act together and restore its quality control.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I can't see myself buying a new Colt or Remington. There are just too many better options out there at comparable or better prices. They are not living on a reputation of quality and innovation, they are just living off their old established names. I would be ashamed to say that I were a developmental engineer for Remington.

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A
    Had the Son's Speedmaster out Sunday afternoon. It shot LR and shorts all day. Beautiful 22. Yes it is probably 50 years old though...

Why can't they produce rifles like that anymore? Sad.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Had the Son's Speedmaster out Sunday afternoon. It shot LR and shorts all day. Beautiful 22. Yes it is probably 50 years old though...

Why can't they produce rifles like that anymore? Sad.
    ...because you can't go to the store and buy .22 ammo! Seriously though, if it can't be produced with the minimum of of human labor, it isn't profitable enough for companies to compete. Everything has to be molded, cnc machines, bead blasted and slapped together to make the price competitive and attractive to customers. There is less and less appreciation for craftsmanship.

Peter McM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2012
    Glad I've held onto the Nylon 66 my dad bought me as a boy. In the (very) unlikely event Remington does go belly-up, the thing could see an increase in value.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Glad I've held onto the Nylon 66 my dad bought me as a boy. In the (very) unlikely event Remington does go belly-up, the thing could see an increase in value.

The price on Nylon 66's has been steadily climbing for quite some time now.
    Nothing like what you could expect from a pre-war Winchester Model 70 Super Grade in immaculate condition, but rather impressive value and getting more so by the year.
    It's definitely a true classic of a rifle.

Top Bottom