• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jbrown

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2009
    Replace firearms with automobiles in that statement.

Think about it for a minute.

Lets see if CNBC maintains their credibility as much as they have with the GM fuel tanks in 1992 and Toyota throttle controls earlier this year.

I coulnd't agree more! If these were cars CNBC wouldn't even waste the time or money to make the show.

Cowboy1629

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    West Central Indiana
    I had this happen to me a few years back on a Remington 7MM magnum. I was working up some different loads for it and after preparing 3 rounds I loaded one into the chamber while I was in my garage and as I closed the bolt the gun fired before I could set the safety. Luckily I had it pointed in a safe direction (away from humans) but I almost shot my truck! Turns out something broke in the trigger assembly because every time you closed the bolt the gun would fire. Took it to my gunsmith and he repaired it. That sure taught me a lesson. I would have never thought of a rifle going bang just by closing the bolt.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    This whole thing means "less than nothing" to me. On most evenings, you could probably count the number of people who watch that joke of a network on both hands and both feet. It doesn't deserve the publicity of a thread here, much less our attention to that doubtlessly-objective report.

Last edited:

dukeboy_318

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 22, 2010
    in la la land
    I had a remmington 700 in. 270, I carried that thing all around to ranges and shot it often. Also had it in the gun rack on my 4wheeler, I never onve had any issue with it. I hope it was just a bad batch of triggers or something

E'villeGunner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    I had this happen to me a few years back on a Remington 7MM magnum. I was working up some different loads for it and after preparing 3 rounds I loaded one into the chamber while I was in my garage and as I closed the bolt the gun fired before I could set the safety. Luckily I had it pointed in a safe direction (away from humans) but I almost shot my truck! Turns out something broke in the trigger assembly because every time you closed the bolt the gun would fire. Took it to my gunsmith and he repaired it. That sure taught me a lesson. I would have never thought of a rifle going bang just by closing the bolt.

Thank GOD, your truck was safe! It was a FORD wasn't it? Now had it been a Chevy or Dodge then a round into the block would just be a humanitarian effort at keeping our streets safe.:laugh:

tenring

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2008
    Martinsville
    I have 3 of them sitting downstairs, no problems with thousands of rounds fire through them, and all have had their triggers "tuned."

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    What, you mean guns are dangerous?
    AHA! I knew that deal was to good to be true, the monkey must have gotten a heads up.:D
    J/k, I love mine and have never had a problem. I will say a couple of things though, I never load/ unload a hunting rifle in my house. If the rifle did not go boom I dang sure wouldn't point it at myself, hand or anywhere else. Also the guy that shot his wife, sad as it is. Should never have pointed it at her after pulling the trigger.
    A failure to fire of anykind should be treated with extreme caution! I treat an FTF of any kind like an armed bomb.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Pretty interesting comments posted so far. I cannot imagine how many "trigger" jobs are actually done on rifles. I do know that one of the first things mentioned to make any gun better is to do a "trigger" job on it. But now it seems the majority list this problem as "the person must have done a trigger job". :dunno:
    Also sounds like Remington is the gun of choice from the majority of you so unless it happens to you or yours it is the dummys fault. This is a major malfunction of some type. No one so far has crucified Remington or guns, I myself appreciate hearing about this problem in the event I can have my gun checked out if I owned one. (I own many guns, just not this specific one)
    Someone said interject the word automobile for gun. What if someone interjected "Jennings" instead of Remington? Bet the post would be quite different. :cool:
    Just food for thought. Being able to intelligently discuss a possible problem is safer and promotes our sport in a positive light. Look at NASCAR and the safety issues. Had they buried their head in the sand and said, "well it was his fault he hit the wall", more drivers would be dead. Instead they took the initiative and said wrecks happen, let's make the cars safer. Heck fires, Monster Jam show horrific wrecks weekly and the drivers walk away. Let's not bury our heads in the sand or crucify some poor shmuck that accidentally shot a family member. Hell, ricochets happen to and then the muzzle isn't pointed at anyone.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    Although I do not think that anyone here is really burying their heads in the sand, Remington has literaly made millions of 700's since 1962, It is probably one of, if not the top selling rifle of all time.
    I own one, I would say probably 2000 other people on this forum own one, the police, the military and lord knows who else.
    I have never experienced any trouble out of mine and have never heard of anyone else here on INGO haveing any trouble.
    It just dose not seem like a substantial enouph number of rifles have a problem compared to the number of rifles out there.
    The only rifle they showed actually haveing the problem was the police rifle, which I have a hard believing is a stock remington trigger.
    I hope that if there is a problem they find it, but I am a bit sceptical.:twocents:
    As you said, it never hurts to investigate the claims with an open mind.

Pretty interesting comments posted so far. I cannot imagine how many "trigger" jobs are actually done on rifles. I do know that one of the first things mentioned to make any gun better is to do a "trigger" job on it. But now it seems the majority list this problem as "the person must have done a trigger job". :dunno:
    Also sounds like Remington is the gun of choice from the majority of you so unless it happens to you or yours it is the dummys fault. This is a major malfunction of some type. No one so far has crucified Remington or guns, I myself appreciate hearing about this problem in the event I can have my gun checked out if I owned one. (I own many guns, just not this specific one)
    Someone said interject the word automobile for gun. What if someone interjected "Jennings" instead of Remington? Bet the post would be quite different. :cool:
    Just food for thought. Being able to intelligently discuss a possible problem is safer and promotes our sport in a positive light. Look at NASCAR and the safety issues. Had they buried their head in the sand and said, "well it was his fault he hit the wall", more drivers would be dead. Instead they took the initiative and said wrecks happen, let's make the cars safer. Heck fires, Monster Jam show horrific wrecks weekly and the drivers walk away. Let's not bury our heads in the sand or crucify some poor shmuck that accidentally shot a family member. Hell, ricochets happen to and then the muzzle isn't pointed at anyone.

Last edited:

HDSilvrStreak

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Fishers
    The only rifle they showed actually haveing the problem was the police rifle......
    You do realize that what you saw online was just a "teaser" or clip, but not the entire story? There may be others that they show.....maybe not. But I wouldn't be drawing any conclusions yet at all based on what was in that teaser.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    You do realize that what you saw online was just a "teaser" or clip, but not the entire story? There may be others that they show.....maybe not. But I wouldn't be drawing any conclusions yet at all based on what was in that teaser.
    I guess I did come on a bit strong, I was just speaking about as you say the teaser. I would not be shocked if there was a problem and would hope that if there is a problem Remington like many companys have had to do, would bow their head, appoligize and fix the problem. No dought that if they include my gun in a recall it will be on its way pronto, but until then I will just shoot safe as always.....:popcorn:

ShooterHunter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Triggers Juiced UP!

I saw the same video. Looks bad, but looks can be deceiving. There's no doubt those clowns juiced up those triggers and put on a show for the cameras ... typical media manipulation to destroy a gun company and scare the public about firearms.

In the end, NBC hates guns, people who own them and are just airing this nonsense to boost their ratings. I won't watch, got better things to do like get my old 700 ready for deer season!

IBTL

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2010
    Lafayette
    I am still dismayed by the number of fatalities of automobile-related accidents versus negligent discharges. Then again, you can always count on the media to do what is popular/sensational, rather than what's right.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Remington 700 makes National news

CNBC is going to do a special tomorrow evening (Wednesday). They claim quite a few 700's are going off for no reason. Others when dropped or the bolt closed. Will be an interesting show.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    CNBC is going to do a special tomorrow evening (Wednesday). They claim quite a few 700's are going off for no reason. Others when dropped or the bolt closed. Will be an interesting show.

From what I've been reading while researching because I want to buy one, this is not an uncommon issue.

I wonder if it's a specific model or the action itself?

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    In factory form or Johnny Hilljack "trigger tune specials"?

I would be very suprised if the factory spec guns are going off, not so much with guys jamming new triggers in the guns then tuning them for a "hair trigger" pull.

Top Bottom