Remmington 700 SPS AAC-SD ??? Vortex Viper???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    So instead of going with a AR style 308, Ive decided I want a bolt gun for bench and hunting from stands (where applicable). I want a heavy threaded barrel for a comp and future suppressor. Im pretty sure on the Remmington 700 SPS Tactical AAC-SD. Anyone handled/shot one? Im realistically only going to be shooting out to 300 yards but would like to be capable of out to 1000. Any input?

Also looking at a Vortex Viper or HS. I think I want either bdc or mil dot. Not sure which will suit me for my needs. Also not sure whice magnification to get. My mind leads me to believe I want the greatest mag possible. Any help is appreciated!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I have that model and love it. It's easily sub MOA out of the box @ 100 yards with my 168gr Siera Matchking hand loads, and I'm not that great of a shot. You'll probably end up replacing the stock, but it will get the job done. I've got an AAC SDN-6 on the way for it once my stamp gets approved.

I've had a couple of Vortex products, and they seemed good for the money. I tend to buy Leopold products, but they aren't very popular on this forum for some reason. I have a MK IV fixed 10X on my rifle inside a set of Badger Ordnance rings & 20 MOA base, and I couldn't be much happier with it.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    AAC-SD is a fine rifle, that will likely outshoot most of the people that own them. The Hogue stock is garbage (IMO), however. When I got mine, the very first thing I did was order a Bell & Carlson M40 Medalist which I liked quite a bit.

If your budget will swing it, I can highly recommend the Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44 MRAD; I have two of them and am a big fan. Shot them as far as 1100yd and didn't have any trouble seeing a 66% IPSC target (hitting it, on the other hand...)

To reach 1000 with a 20" 308, you are going to need a 20MOA scope base. Weaver makes a fine 'budget' base priced round $35, and EGW makes good kit too for a few bucks more. Angled base, quality rings, and a case of match ammo and go shooting.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    If your budget will swing it, I can highly recommend the Vortex Viper HS-T 4-16x44 MRAD; I have two of them and am a big fan. Shot them as far as 1100yd and didn't have any trouble seeing a 66% IPSC target (hitting it, on the other hand...)

I would second that recomendation in either MRAD, or MOA. Its got exposed turrets with zero stops just like the PST line. Its got plenty of travel to acomplish your goals, and its priced right. I have both versions in stock ready to ship as well as EGW 20 MOA base's for your rifle.

Crossbow

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2013
    Tippecanoe Co.
    I have that model and love it. It's easily sub MOA out of the box @ 100 yards with my 168gr Siera Matchking hand loads, and I'm not that great of a shot. You'll probably end up replacing the stock, but it will get the job done. I've got an AAC SDN-6 on the way for it once my stamp gets approved.

I've had a couple of Vortex products, and they seemed good for the money. I tend to buy Leopold products, but they aren't very popular on this forum for some reason. I have a MK IV fixed 10X on my rifle inside a set of Badger Ordnance rings & 20 MOA base, and I couldn't be much happier with it.

I agree, I have a pair of Vortex ViperHD Binoculars (8X32) that are O.K. but I like Leupold Scopes. I have a Mark 4 LR/T 3.5X10X40 on my Remmy 700VTR 308, and I love it!;)

Jerry45Acp

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    in the country
    The Remington 700 SPS AAC-SD is awesome. With the 20in. barrel it's a joy to handle. It should work very well for the ranges you are wanting to shoot. A quality suppressor will most likely increase the accuracy of most loads. I've had good luck with 175gr. Sierra Match Kings (if you load your own).

I'm a big Leupold fan as well but we all have our own favorite scopes to use.

Last edited:

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    I have the AAC-SD in .308 also. Havent had a chance to do much with it. Its been fired twice so far. (I know, there oughta be a law). I just got too many pokers in the fire. Im going with the Bushnell Elite 3200 which is a 10x40 with mil/mil instead of moa. Check this article out for some interesting reading. 8541 Tactical - Budget Precision Build, M700 Tactical AAC-SD That model in mil/mil 10x40 so far as I know can only be bought at Midwayusa. My LGS couldnt get it. They said it was made exclusively for Midway per Bushnell (I was there when they called Bushnell). Great How-to's on the article I pasted also! See you at long range competition next year?

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Wow thanks for all the input! I don't roll my own yet but with this rifle Id like to get into it to see what it can really do and it will be a great test of my marksmanship! I have no formal training. I have seen reviews about the stock issues and a replacement will be in the future as is a can. I really like the thought process behind the Huntertown Arms cans. How does a can make the rifle more accurate? I was thinking for now just a comp on the end to help keep it straight.

I will also check out the Leopould scopes. All the scopes I have are just cheap knock offs but for this I know to open the wallet.

As far as competition, we will see how much of this project my wife will let me complete at a time! Lol!

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Oh and I have watched the videos from 8541 Tactical. Very good info! Nutinfancy also did a 45 min video. Im not sure how I feel about his views.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The nice thing about loading your own ammo is you can shoot top notch stuff for around the price of cheap steel cased Wolf. You probably don't save that much (although 30 cal is cheap and comes in all flavors), but you can tailor the load to your rifles twist / barrel length / type of projectile / how fast you want it to go (especially important if your using a can), etc......

r6vr6

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Granger
    Loving mine with about 350 rds down range. It is really quiet, even shooting supersonic ammo, with my 762 sd on the end. (you can shoot all day long without additional ear pro) I did lighten the factory trigger because it was way heavier than the 3.5 lbs they advertise. (I don't have a scale by I'm guessing it was closer to 7 than 3.5) After the trigger was lightened it is now pretty sweet with zero take-up. It is capable of 0.5 MOA with the right ammo (it likes 168 gr SMK) and shooter. The stock isn't as sexy as some of the aftermarket offerings but I haven't noticed it affecting accuracy. Having said that a bell and carlson might be in my future. I shot some 208 gr subs through it recently and that made everyone smile real big.

Top Bottom