• ...and so much more!
  • 42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    so im wanting to get my girlfriend a remote starter for christmas, for her 06 caynon

one of my questions is this a instalation i can tackle or do i hire someone. im not a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination but i know how to plug somthing in.

also and brand recomendations? i dont need security systems, and lights and all that fancy stuff i just want to push a button from 50ft and the truck start.

thanks for the advise

Fishy2k8

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2011
    Avon
    Not something you should try yourself without prior experience. I used to install and was trained by a couple very good bestbuy installers, I have put in at least 20 of these in all sorts of vehicles, and for the most part, the newer the vehicle, the harder... If you pm me your email or phone number I can talk to you more about it and possibly hook you up with a discount

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    I've always used the Pursuit brand for alarms and remote start. They've always been pretty solid.
    I agree with the others that you should have it done professionally.
    Some thing you should look into is if it integrates with your current remote, gives you q new all function remote or just adds a second remote. To me it's annoying to have too many remotes on my key ring. Also, range is always listed as line-of-sight with a new battery. So if you need 50 ft, you may want to find one with 75-100ft range.

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    I did one on my 95 Buick a few years ago. I was pretty easy actually. The kit come with decent instructions and every wire was color coded to match the wire color of the Buick's wiring. The hardest part was running the lead thru the firewall. I cant remember what brand it was.

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Just stay away from Best Buy on a remote starter! I bought one for my wife's van. And they had some rookie install it, he screwed it up after taking 3hrs to install it. It took the manager of installation three more hours to fix his screw up a week later. And then 2 years later when I needed the antenna replaced the were ZERO help getting the part I needed. I tried to contact the company directly, and they said they would only work through the dealer. Short of it is I now have a non working remote starter that I cannot get repaired! :xmad: And now the Manufacturer is out of business!

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    It isn't that hard but if you're buying from a local shop that does installs, they don't charge much to do it. If you're buying from Best Buy, depending on who is working in the install shop...it is questionable. Some vehicles are a little more tricky than others and if you can read directions, you can find step by step for pretty much any vehicle in production. Makes it really easy if you don't mind messing with tools and cars.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I had Ziebart do my 2001 F250 just about a month or so ago.
    They will try to sell you everything they sell while you are in there, but they seem to have done a pretty good job, no wires hanging out, it works like it should.

Mine does the remote start, locks and unlocks doors (which is nice because I have power locks, but no key fob from when I bought the truck).

Ziebart Remote Car Starter Ziebart of Indiana | Ohio

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    They can be pretty involved with the instalation, I installed a number of them as an auto-tech. The one thing you have to look for with a vehicle as new as yours probably has anti-theft from the factory and will need a special module to bypass that system to work. So if this and the rest of the wiring that goes along with the install it would best to go to a reputable business and have it done.

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    I did the one in my truck, and it sucked. I will never do another one, and Im one of those people that likes to do ALL the qwork on my truck (Im pretty good with it i guess).

Save yourself the time and headache and pay to have it done.

-MColford

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Many places quote the unit including installation.... I bought a Bulldog brand for my truck in 1999. It has gone thru two batteries and has never failed in any way. It includes remote start, remote access, let the vehicle run, lock it, and you take the keys, low temperature start, and programming extra remotes takes about 30 seconds. The system will reliably function from up to 400 feet.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    so im wanting to get my girlfriend a remote starter for christmas, for her 06 caynon
    Weird. I was just logging on to ask about the exact same thing. Well...except I'm buying my wife one...not your girlfriend...I swear to God. :D

I'll just watch this thread for info. Anyone here do the installs? Let me rephrase that. Anyone here do the installs that knows what they are doing and who does NOT have a drinking problem ? :):

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Weird. I was just logging on to ask about the exact same thing. Well...except I'm buying my wife one...not your girlfriend...I swear to God. :D

I'll just watch this thread for info. Anyone here do the installs? Let me rephrase that. Anyone here do the installs that knows what they are doing and who does NOT have a drinking problem ? :):

Drive your wife's car up to work one day, and have Bowman's Toppers in Gas City do the job for you. It should only take him an hour or so. He did mine 13 years ago. He's right across from the car dealership in downtown Gas City. Hmmmm not too far to the range, either...:rolleyes:

Phil502

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    NW Indiana

If your wife ends up with 2 of these things on her car, you know who to look for.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I bought my girlfriend a Viper from Bestbuy last christmas. They did the install and it has worked perfectly since. Dont try it yourself.

public servant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Drive your wife's car up to work one day, and have Bowman's Toppers in Gas City do the job for you. It should only take him an hour or so. He did mine 13 years ago. He's right across from the car dealership in downtown Gas City. Hmmmm not too far to the range, either...:rolleyes:
    I'd try it myself...but I keep picturing getting home one morning and her vehicle sitting in the driveway in a pile of ashes. ;)

If your wife ends up with 2 of these things on her car, you know who to look for.
    Hey...wait a minute...

:):

If she ends up with two...I'm taking one back and keeping the cash. :D

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    I'm a car guy. Have it done. With today's anti-thefts, fiber optics and electronics it's just easier to have someone else do it.

It hooks into brake light switch to disengage remote start and run off key and ignition, hooks into RPM output of coil to shut starter down once desire RPM is detected and so on. The amount that is charged for install is reasonable at most places so don't worry yourself and have it done "professionally". Try to avoid the rookies doing it, make sure the wiring is neat and tucked correctly and have them show you how to work it and all its features.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I have a question, I could probably find out easily but I wonder if anyone knows: are there any that either have a timer or could be activated by a timer? I'd like to have it start before I'm in range to do it myself, get the heater going and all.

Top Bottom