• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Im looking to sell a handgun to a private individual after i do a little background check on them.
    my question however is my personal information is all over this weapon from where it was run
    through my ffl......when i sell it, i dont want my info anywhere in the record book. How do i
    remove my information in case this gun is used illegally.

Thanks

Jay

I know you mean well, but saying it like this, especially after the day I have had ("Mr. Freeman, if someone tells me committing a felony is OK, that means it is OK, right?") is likely to rattle my cage.

1. A little background check? What does this mean? Please tell me you are staying away from NICS, not having some friendly gun dealer do it for you without going through the A&D book? Please tell me this.

2. You don't remove your "identity"? Please tell me you think there is some sort of strange registration system and not that you are stippling serial numbers off a gun, right? You don't do ANY SUCH THING EVER!

Here's how ATFEIEIEIO traces work. Find gun, call manufacturer, call wholesaler, call retailer, go to bound book, find you.

3. Personal information isn't anywhere near the gun? Did you engrave your name on it? ATFEIEIEIO is going to find you. This is a given accept it and drive on.

4. Record book? If you purchased from an FFL, it is in the record book. PLEASE DO NOT MAKE ANY ATTEMPT TO ALTER ANY BOUND BOOK ENTRIES (I just had this conversation today too).

If you want to keep a bill of sale, cool.

"I, Kirk S. "Super Cool" Freeman, sold this here pistol gun to Joe Rhino at 123 Main Street, Crawfordstucky, Indiana, on the 24th day of May, 2018."

I sign, rhino makes his "x" and drive on.

We don't alter serial numbers. We stay away from NICS. We don't alter dealer records.

We want to see an Indiana DL. We may want to see a Larry. Maybe, we call a dealer and he charges us 30 bucks or whatever.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Well....the OP posted up this thread and has not logged back on. Must be reading it sans log in.

Kirk, you have got to stop scaring the Noobies man. You just have to stop.......:):

websbydoc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2018
    Scottsburg
    No one needs to worry. I have never sold a handgun before and wanted to get the correct
    procedure. no serial number filing, or book altering even crossed my mind.

Just didnt want to be liable for a armed robbery or worse down the line just because
    i bought a handgun i didnt like, and then sold it.

thanks again you guys....nice to be part of the group

Jay

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Dude, feds already read it, but the OP has no criminal intent. He is just using inaccurate language . . . and making me sweat a little.:D

I didn't mean they would find something wrong, I just meant the way it was titled probably flagged the resident atfbidhs. I knew there was no intent just thought it was a "fun" title lol

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    No one needs to worry. I have never sold a handgun before and wanted to get the correct

Just didnt want to be liable for a armed robbery or worse down the line just because

Jay

Welcome Jay! Good to have you. :ingo:

Keep posting to build up your post count or buy into Site Supporter status to sell your gun in the INGO classifieds. You can vet who you are selling to through post history that way. While not totally foolproof, it goes quite a way towards being very confident of "knowing" the person you are selling to. And that they are not those who will be in an armed robbery.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Dude, feds already read it, but the OP has no criminal intent. He is just using inaccurate language . . . and making me sweat a little.:D

No, thats the questionable sushi you ate for lunch talking after forgetting to bring your lunch box in from the car to put in the fridge.

Jay

Welcome to crazyville.

Here is how it works and how you are fine.

Gun turns up in a crime.
    1: cops call manufacturer. "we sold it to J&M distributing"
    2: cops call J&M "we sold it to Dons guns"
    3: Cops stop by Dons "We sold it to Websbydoc, here is his info off the 4473"
    4: cops stop by your place "I sold it to a guy On INGO named Churchmouse. Here is the number I called him on, oh and I was with my wife at the time of the crime in bed."
    5: cops go to Churchmouse etc, etc, etc until the trail goes cold or they get to someone who cant explain where it went, and/or cant prove an alibi.

Assuming you are in IN...
    And interesting fact (disturbing to some): You do not have to KNOW 100% positively that the person is a proper (a resident of IN but not a felon). As long as you know they are a resident of Indiana, you just mustnt know they are NOT a proper person.
    Selling to a rando that you dont know anything about except he's a fellow Hoosier and of age? Kosher.
    Selling to your neighbor's cousin that you remember hearing your neighbor's stories about his time in prison? Probably not kosher. (assuming stories are right)

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    Gun turns up in a crime.
    1: cops call manufacturer. "we sold it to J&M distributing"
    2: cops call J&M "we sold it to Dons guns"
    3: Cops stop by Dons "We sold it to Websbydoc, here is his info off the 4473"
    4: cops stop by your place "I sold it to a guy On INGO named Churchmouse. Here is the number I called him on, oh and I was with my wife at the time of the crime in bed."
    5: cops go to Churchmouse etc, etc, etc until the trail goes cold or they get to someone who cant explain where it went, and/or cant prove an alibi.

I feel like one of two things is missing here.

Either

?: Profit!

or

6: cops go to doddg, who owned it for ~36 hours before recouping his money, and continue following the trail until it was lost in a boating accident which causes them start looking at divers in the area

:laugh:

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    I know you mean well, but saying it like this, especially after the day I have had ("Mr. Freeman, if someone tells me committing a felony is OK, that means it is OK, right?") is likely to rattle my cage.

1. A little background check? What does this mean? Please tell me you are staying away from NICS, not having some friendly gun dealer do it for you without going through the A&D book? Please tell me this.

2. You don't remove your "identity"? Please tell me you think there is some sort of strange registration system and not that you are stippling serial numbers off a gun, right? You don't do ANY SUCH THING EVER!

Here's how ATFEIEIEIO traces work. Find gun, call manufacturer, call wholesaler, call retailer, go to bound book, find you.

3. Personal information isn't anywhere near the gun? Did you engrave your name on it? ATFEIEIEIO is going to find you. This is a given accept it and drive on.

4. Record book? If you purchased from an FFL, it is in the record book. PLEASE DO NOT MAKE ANY ATTEMPT TO ALTER ANY BOUND BOOK ENTRIES (I just had this conversation today too).

If you want to keep a bill of sale, cool.

"I, Kirk S. "Super Cool" Freeman, sold this here pistol gun to Joe Rhino at 123 Main Street, Crawfordstucky, Indiana, on the 24th day of May, 2018."

I sign, rhino makes his "x" and drive on.

We don't alter serial numbers. We stay away from NICS. We don't alter dealer records.

We want to see an Indiana DL. We may want to see a Larry. Maybe, we call a dealer and he charges us 30 bucks or whatever.

Crawfordstucky!!! That is awesome. Very Classic. :D

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    If everyone​ had excellent advice, it would be an INGO first.

:)

It costs me $20.00 to go through an FFL. No worries about any crazy lawsuits in the future, easy decision for peace of mind, there are exceptions if I feel extremely confident that the buyer is aok.

My father was a hobbie ffl back in the day, sold a gun to a states attorney and the guys wife killed him with the gun. It did not come back on the seller but I think about these things.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Im looking to sell a handgun to a private individual after i do a little background check on them.
    my question however is my personal information is all over this weapon from where it was run through my ffl......when i sell it, i dont want my info anywhere in the record book.
    How do i remove my information in case this gun is used illegally?

Thanks Jay

This is exactly why I request a signed receipt when purchasing/selling a gun privately...so as to create a paper trail in the even that someone uses the gun, later, in a crime and law enforcement comes looking...I have a paper trail available with which to point them in the correct direction during their search.

I've bought and sold guns with law enforcement officers, and they say a receipt is the prudent and responsible method of buying and selling privately.

If the other party is not willing... neither am I!

Top Bottom