• Status
    Not open for further replies.

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    I have suggested it before and got no responses(no big deal, not mad about anything, i know you guys are busy), just wondering if it is at all possible to restrict viewing access to our classifieds until the members have accomplished their requirement. I have been on forums before where the sections that were restricted were not even visible until that moment.

I understand it requires more work for mods, but it may be a way to limit spammers by reducing their "finding" the classifieds, and making this message board seem like just a classifieds.

Thoughts? :)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Based on discussions with Fenway, I don't think he'll do it. We get a lot of new members who come here looking for a gun and stay for the fun. Restricting access to the classifieds would therefore be counter-productive.

wonderhamster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    As a member with not enough posts to use the classifieds, yet I can tell you that being able to view them is a motivator for me to continue creating new posts.

Not that I intend to stop after I hit 50 by any means, but it doesn't hurt to have additional motivator to get there.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    As a person banned from the classifeds in the past I can say that if I cant view them or use them I wouldnt and didnt participate in the other forums.

jayincville

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    As a member with not enough posts to use the classifieds, yet I can tell you that being able to view them is a motivator for me to continue creating new posts.

Not that I intend to stop after I hit 50 by any means, but it doesn't hurt to have additional motivator to get there.

Really? Really! I can't view them at all. :dunno:

CSK22

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    Stoplight City
    Where you been? I can't view them.-

Must be your account then, I have a friend who can view them all and he is under 50 posts.

Based on discussions with Fenway, I don't think he'll do it. We get a lot of new members who come here looking for a gun and stay for the fun. Restricting access to the classifieds would therefore be counter-productive.
    I see what you are saying, and agree as that is how I got here originally. However I think there are a lot of people who are looking for a gun and that's all they do. But if the boss-men say that's how it is, that's fine with me. :yesway: it was just a suggestion

Thats awesome that you are motivated by the guns, if your productive and add input that is wonderful. But I don't think people need that as motivation.

wonderhamster

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I didn't intend to suggest that it was my only motivation, but I found this site while searching for gun classifieds and since then I have discovered that at least one of my friends is already a member on here, I have been to a trap event and MCF&G and I'm going back tonight to join as a member.

If the classifieds didn't exist or wasn't searchable, though, I might not have found this site in the first place.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I have suggested it before and got no responses(no big deal, not mad about anything, i know you guys are busy), just wondering if it is at all possible to restrict viewing access to our classifieds until the members have accomplished their requirement. I have been on forums before where the sections that were restricted were not even visible until that moment.

I understand it requires more work for mods, but it may be a way to limit spammers by reducing their "finding" the classifieds, and making this message board seem like just a classifieds.

Thoughts? :)

It has been suggested on several occasions, both in the open forum and the Super Secret Mod Forum. :shady:

Fenway has stated it's not his desire to close the Classifieds, since a lot of search engines hit on them and "deal" sites index them, and that drives a lot of traffic to INGO.

jayincville

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    I certainly didn't come here for the classifieds. I tried a few times to have a look or follow a link. I figure I will hit 50 eventually. I have nothing to sell anyway.
    This is all I get

vBulletin Message
    Please review our classifieds rules. If you do not follow the rules your ad will be deleted with out warning.

You can view the rules by clicking HERE.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This is all I get

vBulletin Message
    Please review our classifieds rules. If you do not follow the rules your ad will be deleted with out warning.

You can view the rules by clicking HERE.

Have you tried reading and following the directions in that message? You might find that you suddenly have access that you didn't have before. ;)

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Thats funny right there!!! I wonder how many post's he would have made before he figured it out!!! :D

Every 6 months or so, we re-force that message out to every member of the board as reminder of the classified rules. For a week after, we invariably get inundated with PMs from members who complain that they can't get into the classifieds. It's surprising how many people completely ignore the message, even as they're quoting it to us.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    Every 6 months or so, we re-force that message out to every member of the board as reminder of the classified rules. For a week after, we invariably get inundated with PMs from members who complain that they can't get into the classifieds. It's surprising how many people completely ignore the message, even as they're quoting it to us.

You expect us to pay attention to stuff like that? :dunno:

jayincville

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Crawfordsville
    So... did you try clicking THERE? :popcorn:
    No, I have never clicked through. I had read the rules when I signed up and didn't see the need. But, thanks for clearing that up.
    Like I said, I'm not here for the classifieds anyway so I wasn't that concerned about it.

Hey look, this thread got me 4 posts closer to my 50 :):

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Screw the classifieds........... I want to see the top secrets!!!!

Do you guys know who killed JFK and if there are aliens at area 51?
    Also, what's the stuff inside of twinkies? :dunno:

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Yes, we do know.

Love. And partially hydrogenated vegetable oil. But mostly love.

beef_twinkie.JPG

:dunno:

:D

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom