• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Working on my brand new lower, and did not manage to center the bolt catch roll pin. It's not horrible, but it's not as nice as I would like it.

Any suggestions for removing one of these without buggering up the receiver?

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    You need a small punch.

I have the correct size roll pin punch, but am very leery about driving this thing back out... if there were a way to support the receiver 'ears' I wouldn't worry so much...

Probably the main thing is sleep on it and not rush the job.

Grrr.

My first build the pin went in like silk and functions perfectly...

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    15th Street, Bedford
    Have a few beers then do it. Always easier to apply brute force to soft metal after you're buzzed.

Or, just have a friend do it. They're usually OK with buggering up your stuff. "Hey man, you told me to."

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Have a few beers then do it. Always easier to apply brute force to soft metal after you're buzzed.

Or, just have a friend do it. They're usually OK with buggering up your stuff. "Hey man, you told me to."

Excellent advice! :laugh:

Today also had the plumber in tearing up my slab foundation looking for (and finding) a leak, so it's been a real day of days.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I always cover the side of the receiver with electrical tape when installing that roll pin. So far, no scratches in 8 builds with that method.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I always cover the side of the receiver with electrical tape when installing that roll pin. So far, no scratches in 8 builds with that method.

I have a good little tool now, but I always used the electrical tape method before with great success just in case.

winterwolf73

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2015
    Bargersville,
    Ok folks, some good advice and some not so good advice (mainly the the beers). This is from an actual gunsmith, do you have an magazine bench block is the first question, and the second piece of advice is to use the correct sized punch from Brownells. Set the lower on the bench block and carefully drive out the mislocated pin with the correctly sized pin punch ( it should ONLY cover the head of the pin) then re-drill if necessary. The tolerance for the hole location is .025 so you might be okay, if not, then line it up as best as you can and re-drill

padawan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    N/A

THIS and/or a good thick layer of duct tape on your receiver. Also, place your receiver in a vice block.

Sears makes a set of long punches and one is the exact fit. I don't recall the size but someone will post it.

Go easy and tape the receiver.

Top Bottom