• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    My wife had a steamer for clothes and drapery. I took off the attachments and used it to clean the cosmoline in the rifle. That thing heats up the barrel/receiver very quickly so you have to use gloves.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Hot water and WD40 seem easiest. At the range I use Windex, and old cut up flannel cloth to scrub barrel/action after shooting. Oil n go after that.
    After you think it's clean, leave it on the patio, in the direct sun with newspapers under it, and see how much cosmo still leaches out. Don't be to surprised to see stains under the papers.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Line a small garbage can with a bag and get a hand held Shark Steamer. Blast away and let the goo drip into the bag. It's by far the least messy way I've ever tried and I've done several cosmo packed mil-surp rifles. The steam is a great way to reduce the dings in wood stocks too.

thebishopp

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 26, 2010
    Indiana
    Gasoline or Kerosene.

Gasoline is more aggressive. Be careful and Be sure to dispose of the cosmoline gas/kerosene properly.

The hot water method is safer but will take much longer.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    As someone else mentioned, I find that non-chlorinated brake cleaner spray works great. Strips off the cosmo and evaporates almost instantly. Keep it away from any wood parts though, unless you're planning to strip the finish off of them too. After that, lube with a good gun oil or spray protectant (QCG or Eezox work well). I'd stay away from WD40 unless you're going to do additional cleaning and lube. The WD40 will get gummy if it sits for awhile. :twocents:

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Cosmoliine

I knew a gun dealer in Louisiana that told me he would get a shipment of Mosin Nagants packed in cosmoline and he put the entire rifle in a tank full of kerosene.

Destro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 10, 2011
    The Khyber Pass
    really? just take off the grips and set it inside or what?

strip it down, put the slide, frame, other big parts in the little thing you put your silverware in, put some soap in and BAM!, make sure you take it out as soon as it's done so it won't rust. If it's blued or parked you shouldnt have a problem, if it has a painted on finish like a CZ, you might be missing some of it when your done.

run the dishwasher empty when your done to cleean it out

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Are the ultrasonic cleaners any good for stripped cosmoline from small parts? Bolts, Trigger housings, stock hardware, etc.?

Been looking at getting one for small part cleaning...

elemonator

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Peru, IN
    I used 'valuecraft' carb cleaner from autozone on my firearms to remove the stuff...It isnt like the gumout brand, seems to be more like off road diesel fuel its even red in color...it works really well. and cheaper than wd-40

tgmorris99

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 17, 2011
    Westfield
    I just ran across this PDF today while looking for the best way to clean a new AR.

What I found interesting was the list of items that can be used to get rid of cosmoline.
    Some Miscellaneous Products that are Known to Work in the Removal of Cosmoline

• WD-40
    • Paint Thinner
    • Goo Gone
    • EZ Off Oven Cleaner
    • Purple Power Cleaner
    • Scrubbing Bubbles Bathroom Cleaner
    • Turpentine
    • Acetone
    • Mineral Spirits

Owens47235

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    Electrical contact cleaner works very well. As where break parts cleaner usually leaves a residue and is pretty harsh,contact cleaner is non-residue and is metal safe. Has worked well for me in the past.

Top Bottom