• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dr_O

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2010
    East Central Indiana
    A buddy of mine has an old Marlin .22. It sat untouched in a closet for 20 years. The stock has what appears to be mildew stains on it. What is the best way to clean up an otherwise decent stock short of a refinish?

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I remove the action and all metal and then scrub it down with Murphy's Oil Soap and hot water. Works pretty well for me.

th

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Doubt there is anything that will remove the "mildew" without removing any original applied stain. A chlorine based bleach might remove the stain. I would try a dot or so in an inconspicuous area to see what it does. Refinishing is not that hard and may be easier than trying to clear the existing finish. If it were mine I would remove the stock and take any hardware off, then sand with about 100 grit paper until you are down to "bare" wood with no color showing. Then sand with 150 grit - then 220 grit. Then stain with any oil based stain (apply liberally, allow to soak in for a couple minutes then wipe dry with a paper towel). If it is not dark enough repeat. Then allow the stain to dry for a day or two. Use some 4-0 steel wool to remove any "nibs" then rub in either pure Tung oil or boiled linseed oil. Apply it liberally, allow to soak in for a minute or two, then wipe off to remove any visible liquid. Allow to dry for at least a day, lightly smooth with the steel wool, repeat at least 4 times (5 or 6 is better). You can then wax the surface, but if you do, you need to remove the wax with mineral spirits or paint thinner before applying additional coats of the Linseed or Tung oil. I used to reapply Linseed oil every time I cleaned my firearms after I went hunting to remove any scratches or scrapes. It takes about the same amount of time as oiling the barrel and builds up a real nice coating after a while.

Top Bottom