• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    OK... so before work tonight I toasted a bagel. They had been on the coutner for awhile and after re-assembling it for transport I noticed a 9mm casing sized (keeping it real) area of mold. I was hungry and late, so I removed a wedge with about half an inch of clearance around it.

If you remove mold from food, are you obligated to inform the intended recipient before they consume it?

Does anyone here just eat the mold and not worry about it?

To continue the gross thread, my wife was mad at me for putting goldfish on the table at Pizza King before wiping it down with a sanitizer wipe for our son. I slid the two goldfish to the side, cleaned the area in front of him, gave him new ones and popped those original two into my mouth. Along with a big long hair. EEEwwww... I guess she knew what she was talking about.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    Wow. I thought I was gross. You got me with that hair thing. Generally you're safe eating around mold if you cut enough away but it's not work the risk. Many molds can react with your immune system (you can develop allergies) and some are actually toxic.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    My take is if it has mold on it, it's no good! You might have gotten all the mold off of that surface area, but what's growing inside your bread? Side note, I got a milkshake at the steak'n'shake late at night in seymour on my drive back home...wasn't until I got to the bottom of the shake I found a long a** nail in my damn shake!! No more steak'n'shake for a reeeeeeeeeealy long time!!

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    .. I got a milkshake at the steak'n'shake late at night in seymour on my drive back home...wasn't until I got to the bottom of the shake I found a long a** nail in my damn shake!! No more steak'n'shake for a reeeeeeeeeealy long time!!

Was it a fingernail? or a nail, nail.
    If the later, perhaps they thought you needed some iron.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Anyone eat the Sara Lee breakfast sandwiches from Walmart/Sams? They have turkey sausage in them. About every 10th one I get a hard crunch while eating the sausage. Grosses me out, nearly puke, but continue on anyway.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    *shrug* a bit of mold doesn't bother me at all.

We (humans) are scavengers after all....

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I pull the moldy bits off cheese, and a little more margin around the ones on bread, but only small ones. You can keep jelly/jam without refrigeration; the surface will mold over, but if you scrape it off well you'll be fine. Not that I do that, just what people did before refrigeration was common.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Not all molds are necessarily toxic to the human body. I thrive on mushrooms. :dunno:

For bread and hard blocks of cheese I just cut off the offending section and chow down. If the item is covered in it or it's fruit or veggies or leftovers, it goes in the trash.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    For bread and hard blocks of cheese I just cut off the offending section and chow down. If the item is covered in it or it's fruit or veggies or leftovers, it goes in the trash.
    Pretty much the same here.

I live life dangerously! I'm JetGirls closet blonde sidekick

TRUE. Man, does she ever have blond moments!!
    I am only blond on the outside... but that ^ redhead's "blond" goes to the BONE, man!!

Sha-Cronic!!!
    QFT!

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I usually do the same, just cut off the mold, eat the rest. Penicillin was found because its typically what bread mold is made of.

Top Bottom