Removing Odor from Plastic Containers...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JD31

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2008
    I have tried washing, rewashing, scrubbing, rinsing with bleach, then washing again, etc. to remove the odor of the previous contents of my PETE plastic container before reusing. After many failures, Google came in handy. I came across a site that recommended putting a little vinegar on a piece of bread and closing it up in the container for 24 hours.

Amazingly, it worked like a charm. I rewashed the container, dried it out, closed it up for another 24 hours to see if any clue to the previous contents would return and it indeed remained odor free.

Just thought I would post this in the event that someone else might be struggling with the same issue. I used about a teaspoon of white vinegar on about a 1/4 of a slice of bread.

Anyone else have a better way to remove the odors?

Cain71

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Columbus
    I have just used charcoal,dumped into the bottom cover let sit and then wash out,just make sure you don't get the charcoal with fluid in it,words of wisdom,read the bag.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Baking Soda works for most things.
    I think I'll try the vinegar/bread next time also.
    Something else that might work is denture cleaner tabs (hot water). I know it works with REALLY dirty thermouses (sp). Gets rid of the "crud" and smell.

Top Bottom