• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tbag

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2016
    Colorado
    I have noticed some rust in the barrels of my rifles and I was wondering if I could use this rust remover I got from lee valley to remove it. The stuff is called evapo-rust, its non corrosive, non toxic and it works by the process of chelation. I used it to clean my rusted micrometer sight and my stripper clips when I first got them and it does work. Depending on how much rust there is, it takes from an hour to 24 hours to remove it, I'm just wondering if it would be safe to use on a rifle bore and if so how would I plug the barrel so I could let this stuff work away at it?

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Any product that removes rust chemically that I'm familiar with will also remove blueing so I would be very careful with it.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Start with the least abrasive method first. I'd suggest liberally applying kroil to the bore with a patch, let sit for a few hours, and then aggressively scrub with a copper bore brush. Repeat a few times if necessary.

For future prevention I would also suggest investing in a good dehumidifier for the gun room.

Top Bottom