• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UNLOCKEM

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    I purchased a Hi Point carbine and it came from a smoking household. Anybody have any tips on getting rid of the smoke smell?
    Or if I just fire it a lot, should the gunpowder smell eventually overwhelm the cig smoke smell?

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    have you tried giving it a good cleaning? Then wiping it down with oil when you were done?

I would think a good cleaning would do the trick, and then just shooting it later would do the rest.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    It's probably more from the gun case/bag that absorbed the smoke more than the gun itself. A good cleaning, a new case/bag and then go shoot it. Nothing smells better than fresh burnt gunpowder! :)

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    Hoppes#9 it?

That usually takes the stink out of everything, and puts a whole new level of smell on things :):

Am I the only weirdo that likes the smell of hoppes?...:n00b:

UNLOCKEM

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    1775usmarine, that's a pretty tempting offer, but I think I'll have to pass on that one! I'll try giving it a good cleaning and Hoppes#9. If that doesn't take care of it, then maybe I'll reconsider it! Thanks everybody!

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Use two pairs of earplugs - one for your ears and one for your nostrils. Seriously, if it smells SO bad why did you buy it?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Hoppes#9 it?

That usually takes the stink out of everything, and puts a whole new level of smell on things :):

Am I the only weirdo that likes the smell of hoppes?...:n00b:

Yep. Hoppes #9 should overwhelm just about any odor out there. And yes, I do like the pleasant aroma!

perfume-bottle_zpsowdm05nl.jpg

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    I'm a smoker. I have never had anyone tell me my guns smell like cigarettes. I can't imagine it sticking to the metal and plastic enough to be noticed.

96firephoenix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm a smoker. I have never had anyone tell me my guns smell like cigarettes. I can't imagine it sticking to the metal and plastic enough to be noticed.
    I imagine it has something to do with how you store your guns...

I smoke, but I can't stand the smell of stale cigs, so I don't smoke in the car or in the house... the only way my guns would smell like cigs is if I was smoking while I shot them.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Cigarette smoke will indeed permeate some plastics.
    VERY easy remedy.
    Disassemble. Submerse all plastic parts in a water/baking soda solution.
    Baking soda is a natural deodorizer. It will take ALL of the smell away without damaging the plastic.

Rinse, dry, re-assemble, and say "Thank You Mgderf for the most excellent suggestion."

glank09

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 27, 2013
    Corunna
    I had the same problem with some guns I was given by my father. I sealed them up in a case with baking soda and activated carbon. Didn't work overnight but a couple months later most of the smell was gone.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    A buddy of mine who is on INGO bought a rifle on here from a guy who smoked a lot and the rifle to this day still smells like smoke and we have done a ton to it! For the most part we got it out to the point that until you get it pretty close to the face you won't smell it. But the only way to get it to be any better short of buying new furniture, I think would be buying a new rubber butt pad for the stock. I feel your pain trying to get it out OP, especially after a lot of what we did, it can be super potent!

winchester

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    flush with a douche, stuff as many tampons as you can into barrel and mag well, then take 2 midol pills. repeat monthly.

Top Bottom