• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    So, I was standing at table waiting for the nice man to run my form dealy so I could buy a gun at the 1500. There was guy standing next to me, who looked alot like one of my old friends dad. So when he placed his app down on the table i looked it over for the name to see if t was him. Alas it was not however, I looked at the section of check boxes and noticed that on mine it was basically all No's down the page, but his had one yes marked half way down. ti was the check box for

have you ever renounced your us citizenship. he marked yes.

would this keep you from getting your gun? I didnt stick around long enough to see if he got it, thought while i was waiting to pay, i saw the man calling us in, write a number on the form just like he did for mine. So will this not bar you from getting guns?

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Yes, it would as far as i know, but maybe he was a unique circumstance where he became a citizen of another country, then came back, or maybe dual citizenship. I think this would require a UPIN

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    He was a nice guy, he made a comment about his middle name being a girls name, and I pipped up and said "at least youre not a boy named sue" we both chuckled. He was wearing a Vietnam vet hat, and when another Vietnam vet walked by he reached out and shook his hand and set "welcome home soldier welcome home"

I would like to think he misread the question

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I don't know about the renunciation of citizenship, but I do know that one need not be a US Citizen to legally purchase a firearm in Indiana be it by private sale or via dealer/4473.

-J-

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Nics doesnt ask about the questions... Its up to the dealer to make sure they are answered appropriatly, so if it were me, i would say i couldnt sell the gun, but i might want to brush up on that answer.

Since the dealer was calling it in, perhaps the seller just didnt see then yes checked?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I don't know about the renunciation of citizenship, but I do know that one need not be a US Citizen to legally purchase a firearm in Indiana be it by private sale or via dealer/4473.

-J-

You need to be an Indiana resident, that means you can be a US citizen OR a permanent resident (green card holder).
    No proof of citizenship is needed to buy a gun in Indiana (Indiana DL is not a proof of citizenship, non citizens can get their DL too).

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Also if he had dual citizenship he would still be a US citizen, that's the whole point of a dual citizenship, unless he became a citizen of two other countries and one of them required him to drop his US citizenship.
    The US are usually okay with dual citizenship with most countries.

NapalmFTW

British dude
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    Lowell
    Also if he had dual citizenship he would still be a US citizen, that's the whole point of a dual citizenship, unless he became a citizen of two other countries and one of them required him to drop his US citizenship.
    The US are usually okay with dual citizenship with most countries.

Yeah. Technically speaking the US doesn't recognise dualies. When you get your US passport you're officially a US citizen in their eyes, but they don't force you to give up your old citizenship. So its sort of dual citizenship by the backdoor :)

Fine for me for when I eventually apply. I can't wait.

ps: I read the previous post as him saying you do not need to be a citizen (I'm not and I'm 100% legal to purchase firearms).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    would this keep you from getting your gun?

1. Yes, most certainly as you are a prohibited person under federal law.

2. When I sold guns, I had a couple of people who misunderstood what "renouncing" meant.

"Of course I renounce [later to be determined that he thought it meant "announce"] my citizenship, I served in the Army. I'm a proud American."

"Of course I have renounced it. I don't like what President Bush is doing [later to be determined that he denounced Bush I for tax increases]."

Those are the two I remember, could have been others.

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Did Jimmy Carter pardon the guys who went to Canada to avoid the draft? Showing my age again. May or may not pertain to this guys case. Was common during WW 2. Serving in another countries armed forces was one way to renounce US citizenship. Or am I nuts again?

sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    1. Yes, most certainly as you are a prohibited person under federal law.

2. When I sold guns, I had a couple of people who misunderstood what "renouncing" meant.

"Of course I renounce [later to be determined that he thought it meant "announce"] my citizenship, I served in the Army. I'm a proud American."

"Of course I have renounced it. I don't like what President Bush is doing [later to be determined that he denounced Bush I for tax increases]."

Those are the two I remember, could have been others.

:)::D:laugh:

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    He was a nice guy, he made a comment about his middle name being a girls name, and I pipped up and said "at least youre not a boy named sue" we both chuckled. He was wearing a Vietnam vet hat, and when another Vietnam vet walked by he reached out and shook his hand and set "welcome home soldier welcome home"

I would like to think he misread the question
    If he is a Vietnam vet, it's possible that he was a POW and they made him sign something renouncing his citizenship. I don't know if that only happens in Hollywood, but I know the POWs weren't treated too well, back then.

Last edited:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Did Jimmy Carter pardon the guys who went to Canada to avoid the draft? Showing my age again. May or may not pertain to this guys case. Was common during WW 2. Serving in another countries armed forces was one way to renounce US citizenship. Or am I nuts again?

Im not sure it's the case, unless maybe if you are serving in another army fighting against the US.
    I know that some non-US nationals serve in the US military and are still citizen of their country and I think it would also be fine if it was the other way around.
    Im not aware of any armed forces where you lose your citizenship by joining(besides the French Foreign Legion).

But I could be wrong, im not an expert on the subject. :dunno:

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Seem to remember Flying Tigers renounced US citizenship to fight for China, when they were our buddies. Think I'll have to check that. Maybe just resigned commission in the Army Air Force.

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    I'm just soaking up how you were studying that guy's application. That's called
    "invasion of privacy" I do believe ... whether you thought you knew him or not. Man,
    you weren't just looking for a name if you noticed the checked boxes. You had to see
    that one was yes, then mosey you little eyes over to the left to see what kind of
    pervert this old man was. Did you happen to get his social security and birth date while you were at it?

For shame.

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    If he is a Vietnam vet, it's possible that he was a POW and they made him sign something renouncing his citizenship. I don't know if that only happens in Hollywood, but I know the POWs weren't treated to well, back then.
    That would constitute duress. An action taken under such circumstances would almost certainly be considered void from the start.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I'm just soaking up how you were studying that guy's application. That's called
    "invasion of privacy" I do believe ... whether you thought you knew him or not. Man,
    you weren't just looking for a name if you noticed the checked boxes. You had to see
    that one was yes, then mosey you little eyes over to the left to see what kind of
    pervert this old man was. Did you happen to get his social security and birth date while you were at it?

For shame.

I know, I know. Like I said I ws looking at his name. Then as I looked away, I noticed the pattern of checks didn't match mine. So Iglanced at him, and he was looking at things with his back to his app so I ganced at what was marked yes. I didn't pick up his ss or dob. Im not interested in such things

Is it just possible he got distracted and inadvertently checked the wrong box?

I think he misunderstood the question, based on his hat, and his interaction with another vet

Top Bottom