• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    I'd like to eventually replace the barrel on my Springfield 1911. Since I'm unfamiliar with a lot of things pertaining to 1911's I would like to inquire as to whether or not you could just swap in a new barrel.

Are there complications that will arise? I know it can't be as simple as slapping in a lonewolf barrel for Glocks, or could it? What's up guys?

Do I need to actually buy a "kit" or are there pre-built barrels that "drop-in"?

Last edited:

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    You can get them direct from Wilson Combat. They were out of stock but I'd bet they have a few extras laying around IF you call.
    Ed Brown has an excellent product Ed Brown Products, 1911, parts
    Brownells.. 1911 AUTO DROP-IN MATCH BARRELS - Brownells
    Nowlin is a super barrel and was a quick drop in in my Colt GCNM. Nowlin Gun Barrels - Nowlin Gun Manufacturer Professional Shooters Barrels 1911 Pistol Parts ,and many other custom 1911 manufacturers.
    The barrel is just one component.
    Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a quality custom gun than it is to start "rat gun" processes and dropping in a bunch of parts and hope for the best fit and performance.
    Sure, the 1911 is pretty standard by spec but there's a lot of tolerance overlap and even "Drop in" parts can require fitting

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    I agree with everything already posted.
    But there are drop in barrels that will immediately improve accuracy.
    I have had real good results with Clark barrels. Clark Custom Guns Match Grade 1911 Barrels

I have also done a couple Kart "easy fit" barrels myself which explained a lot about how 1911 accuracy is achieved. I enjoyed doing those it was a learning experiance without being to hard.
    I still have a Springfield with a Kart I did in it and it is one of my most accurate 1911's
    Kart Easy Fit Barrel with Bushing 1911 Government 45 ACP 1 in 16" Twist 5" in the White - MidwayUSA

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    If you want to go with a
    "drop in" Storm Lake Machining has the best deal out there. I have sold a lot of them and seen customers drop them into a Springfield Mil-spec and get a HUGE improvement over the factory setup. If you want even more accuracy buy the Kart EZ fit barrel with the fitting kit. Read the instructions several times until you understand how 1911 bbl. lockup works. Go slow and you'll have a tack driver. You have to be willing to file a little bit and then reassemble the gun to check the fit. A bunch of times. It's really not too hard.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i have tried many "drop in barrels" and they all needed a little fitting here and there.....i don't think there is a such thing....

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    No, there is no such thing as a drop-in 1911 barrel.

The barrel you have is more accurate than you are. If you want precision when using a machine rest, get a National Match bushing or Briley spherical bushing and fit it.

Josh

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    That is part of the difference between a lower end assmbly line pistol and a custom firearm made by a higher end gunsmith or custom shop. Very few of the parts on a custom gun assemble without fitting. That is how they get such fine fits and the resulting accuracy. If you are going to drop $200 on a barrel and bushing to get some improvement, you may as well spend the $275-$300 and have one that is fitted by a gunsmith, to get a lot of improvement. Buy doing it right the first time, it saves you the money that would be spent making incremental improvements. Most good 'smiths will advise you on the slide/frame rail fit before they even start the barrel work. Good Luck

BTW, I have used KART barrels in five or six pistols, they all have been very good.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    Mostly aesthetic but also, there is a bit of a lead fouling issue.

lead fouling?......can't get it clean?.....if not get Chore Boy pot scrubbers only the pure copper ones.....tear off a piece and rap it around a old bore brush and scrubber away and lead will leave.....then slow down your reloads...

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    lead fouling?......can't get it clean?.....if not get Chore Boy pot scrubbers only the pure copper ones.....tear off a piece and rap it around a old bore brush and scrubber away and lead will leave.....then slow down your reloads...

Thanks man, I'll do that. This was from a previous owner who shot basically 65% of his round count with reloads.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Thanks man, I'll do that. This was from a previous owner who shot basically 65% of his round count with reloads.

Did he actually tell you " I shot basically 65% reloads?"

lol.... 65%.

Not 70%.

Not 60%

65%.

The things we tell people when we sell them guns lol....

I actually watched a guy sell a gun, that I KNOW he bought less than a month earlier, and told the buyer it had been in his safe since he bought it in 1979.

It was a Remington 11-87.

<Edit: I will take that useless dirty 1911 barrel from ya, and dispose of it properly. All that lead you know, might poison a chicken or something. Silly 1911 barrels, only good for a few hundred shots....>

Plinkuh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2010
    West Side of Indy
    Did he actually tell you " I shot basically 65% reloads?"

lol.... 65%.

Not 70%.

Not 60%

65%.

The things we tell people when we sell them guns lol....

I actually watched a guy sell a gun, that I KNOW he bought less than a month earlier, and told the buyer it had been in his safe since he bought it in 1979.

It was a Remington 11-87.

<Edit: I will take that useless dirty 1911 barrel from ya, and dispose of it properly. All that lead you know, might poison a chicken or something. Silly 1911 barrels, only good for a few hundred shots....>

I'm sorry, but, are you poking fun at me? Yeah I don't know much in the way of the 1911, but I trust my family members when they tell me things. Especially this particular family member. He reloads A LOT. He knows his round counts, and I think he is pretty accurate with his numbers. I think I'll keep my "dirty ol' barrel" thanks very much. I know they aren't good for 100-200 rounds, I'm not a complete retard. :n00b:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom