• ...and so much more!
  • Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Many of us back in the 60's did not get into Handloading ammunition to save money. Today's questions in interested shooters regarding getting into rolling their own ammo start with "how much can I save by reloading ?". It was a different time. Turn, Turn, Turn. Ammo was sure enough easy to get then as compared to now but I wanted to learn ALL aspects of the shooting hobby. I want to tailor specific handloads for increased accuracy and diversity among calibers including wildcat ammo like the .41 Special, Varmint 30-30 loads etc.. To be an authority on anything you got to be all in. The funds, hard work and discipline it takes to master your skill set in shooting requires lots of ammunition as well. Today's volume shooter must reload unless they own their own rocket ship to play with.

A recent upgrade that I have always wanted to do was change out my Dillon powder hoppers with Pyrex Glass from DramWorx. https://dramworx.com/. Outfitting all my hoppers took an investment but for me it has paid off. In measuring 30 throws from the Dillon Hopper vs the DramWorks, I reduced my Standard deviation in grains thrown. The baffle is machined, not plastic. The screws are machined vs self tapping. the housing base is machined and triple in size and quality. The lid is machined and includes an air tight o ring in case you want to lay the hopper on its side on the bench. These things are built solid and they reduce static and will not change color with contaminates from powder.

Since I do not fill my hoppers all the way up when running the press, I chose the OEM size as I did not want the taller one. These replacements are more narrow than the Dillon plastic so they make an OEM volume which results in a taller hopper. They also make a Medium size for large volume loaders. I did not go with the Low Powder Alarm as I keep FULL attention on what I'm doing and like the control of adding smaller amounts of powder during one my loading sessions.

Handloading ammunition has given me years of relaxing enjoyment, a working knowledge and an independance of ammunition that with carefull planning has kept me shooting alot through at least 4 Component draughts in my life. The saving money part? Never crossed my mind. That's for the Byrd's.

IMG_9084 (002).jpg

IMG_9231 (002).jpg
    IMG_9232 (002).jpg

Top Bottom