• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Beemer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Bloomington
    I wrote earlier to Senator Donnelly and Got a much shorter and more to the point letter back. This one still supports much of what I agree with, but he does back peddle a little with respect to the background checks.

Dear Mr. XXXXX

Thank you for taking the time to contact my office about S. 649, the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act of 2013. As you may know, I am a strong supporter of the Second Amendment and have consistently voted to protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners. Like all Americans, I was shaken to my core by the senseless murders of 20 children in Newtown, Connecticut, and it is only reasonable for all of us to consider ways to reduce the likelihood of a tragedy like Newtown from ever happening again.
    Whether a gun owner or not, we can all agree that we can take steps to reduce violent crime without sacrificing the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. My concern, throughout this debate, was not with those who follow the law, but with those who do not. For this reason, I opposed proposals to ban assault weapons and continued my longtime support for national recognition of Indiana licenses to carry.
    We, however, also know that too many individuals with criminal records or serious mental illnesses are getting guns by exploiting loopholes in the current system and, in the process, endangering the lives of others and the rights of law-abiding gun owners. In fact, history has shown that Congress begins reexamining gun laws only when someone who should not have a gun in the first place uses that weapon to commit mass murder.
    To that end, I supported the Manchin-Toomey amendment to improve the background check system, and to prevent terrorists, criminals, and the mentally ill from jeopardizing the rights of law-abiding citizens. This amendment would require instant background checks for sales made at gun shows or over the Internet, but would ensure that parents, friends, and neighbors could engage in private transfers just as they do now. In addition, the amendment reaffirmed current federal law that no information obtained in a background check could be used to establish a federal registry of firearms.
    As you may know, the Manchin-Toomey amendment did not pass the Senate and the Safe Communities, Safe Schools Act was pulled from consideration. As Congress continues to debate proposals to responsibly improve our gun laws while also protecting the Second Amendment, I will be sure to keep your thoughts in mind.

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the U.S. Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter by visiting my

Krainw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    I got the same reply. I am so tired of being told what a privilege it is to "represent" me right after being told I'm wrong and he isn't going to do what I've asked. So much for "representing" me. :xmad:

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Me too, I had already written a fairly scathing reply to his vote and reminded him that Lugar had also became a turncoat and then voted out of office. I stated that I would certainly try to help him the same way (out of office)!

Duke Short

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Joe Schmoe

I don't expect this to be a counted post at all just to inform. My latest letter is the same FORM LETTER everybody else got. Damn dance on my Richard Richard with golf shoes. :xmad:

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    this is why i believe it does not matter if you write your representatives, they are going to do what they want. They know that democrats will vote them in, simple as that. pointless

iceman7668

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    Here is a differant response I got:

Dear Mr. Myers,

I am a supporter of the Second Amendment, and I have voted to protect the rights of law-abiding gun owners. Like all Americans, I was shaken to my core by the senseless murders of 20 children in Newtown, Connecticut. It is only reasonable for all of us to consider ways to reduce the likelihood of a tragedy like that happening again.
    Whether a gun owner or not, a Democrat or a Republican, everyone would agree that we can take steps to reduce violent crime without sacrificing the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding citizens. My concern is not those who follow the law, but those who do not. For this reason, I will not support legislation that would ban the sale of assault weapons to those who obey the law. I will, however, give serious consideration to proposals that would keep guns out of the hands of criminals and the mentally ill, while preserving the Second Amendment rights of law-abiding gun owners.

It is a privilege to represent you and all Hoosiers in the U.S. Senate. Your continued correspondence is welcome and helps me to better represent our state. I encourage you to write, call, or email if my office can ever be of assistance. You can also check out my Facebook page and follow me on Twitter by visiting mywebsite.
    sig_footer.png

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    Salem
    Dear Senator Donnelly -

I am in the smallest room of my house. Your worthless form letter is before me. Shortly it will be behind me.

Oddly my treatment of this letter from you mimics your treatment of the Constitution.

BEBOATS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Paoli, Indiana
    I've received the same letter twice from him now think I wrote him four times. I doubt if they ever bother to read many of them but probably keep some kind of count. The worst part about it now is how long we have to wait to vote him out of office. So lets not forget what he did
    when his reelection come up again.

Top Bottom