• OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Where the priority should be; mental health

Report on Newtown's Adam Lanza finds missed chances - CNN.com

The report noted "missed opportunities" by Lanza's mother, the school district, and multiple health care providers. It identified "warning signs, red flags, or other lessons that could be learned from a review of [Lanza's] life."
    . . .
    Lanza did find correspondents virtually, in an online cybercommunity of mass murder enthusiasts. In an email dated December 11, 2012, three days before his attack, Lanza wrote to an unnamed chatter: "The inexplicable mystery to me isn't how there are massacres, but rather how there aren't 100,000 of them every year."
    . . .
    Lanza and an unnamed co-author penned "The Big Book of Granny" for a fifth-grade project. The spiral-bound comic-book style piece, with a purple cover, was made up of violent stories, according to the report, "filled with images and narrative relating child murder, cannibalism and taxidermy."
    . . .
    Calls for medication went unheeded by Nancy Lanza, however, whom the authors described as accommodating to her son's aversion to medication.

Last edited:

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Where the priority should be; mental health

Report on Newtown's Adam Lanza finds missed chances - CNN.com

The report noted "missed opportunities" by Lanza's mother, the school district, and multiple health care providers. It identified "warning signs, red flags, or other lessons that could be learned from a review of [Lanza's] life."
    . . .
    Lanza did find correspondents virtually, in an online cybercommunity of mass murder enthusiasts. In an email dated December 11, 2012, three days before his attack, Lanza wrote to an unnamed chatter: "The inexplicable mystery to me isn't how there are massacres, but rather how there aren't 100,000 of them every year."
    . . .
    Lanza and an unnamed co-author penned "The Big Book of Granny" for a fifth-grade project. The spiral-bound comic-book style piece, with a purple cover, was made up of violent stories, according to the report, "filled with images and narrative relating child murder, cannibalism and taxidermy."
    . . .
    Calls for medication went unheeded by Nancy Lanza, however, whom the authors described as accommodating to her son's aversion to medication.

Reading the report, it seemed that there were numerous opportunities to get him help but those responsible chose to do little or nothing.

And it was the guns, by the way.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Barriers that need to be addressed:
    1) Access - Availability of mental health care, high cost, and skimpy coverage by insurance companies puts it out of reach of many folks.
    2) Stigma - Mental health treatment follows a person forever; just look at some of the posts from people trying to get their LTCH after being treated.
    3) Willingness to pay - Making adequate treatment available will cost all of us, most likely via higher insurance premiums or taxpayer subsidy. We need to realize that providing mental care will benefit everyone in the long run and lose the "no more taxes" mentality.

Last edited:

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Can a person who would go into an elementary school and shoot dozens of kids ever be "helped"? What would the options be in helping someone like this piece of ****? Aside from locking him away forever, or euthanizing him, he's eventually just going to carry out his plan.

MilliJac

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2014
    The Fort
    I am but a humble newbie, but I agree with littletommy. There always have been and always will be disturbed people in the world. The best we can do is to put aside emotions and look at real solutions. Like arming properly trained and licensed teachers and administrators at school, and eliminating gun free zones entirely.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Can a person who would go into an elementary school and shoot dozens of kids ever be "helped"? What would the options be in helping someone like this piece of ****? Aside from locking him away forever, or euthanizing him, he's eventually just going to carry out his plan.

No.....but they can be diagnosed and locked down. Gabby Giffords assailant had a mile long paper trai; of mental issues and no one did a thing there either.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington

While there's no absolute guarantee of a cure, meds might have helped had they been used (requiring both Lanza and his mother to keep up with it). Also, a gun safe that Adam didn't have the combo to may have helped.

Yeah, there are a LOT of sick folks out there, but our current system, not to mention the stigma, seems to drive those away who need help the most.

david890

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 1, 2014
    Bloomington
    I am but a humble newbie, but I agree with littletommy. There always have been and always will be disturbed people in the world. The best we can do is to put aside emotions and look at real solutions. Like arming properly trained and licensed teachers and administrators at school, and eliminating gun free zones entirely.

As a former teacher, I wouldn't support arming teachers/admin. Unless the teacher carries the weapon at all times, some kid will try to steal it. Also, based on my military experience, a good portion of the population would simply freeze or freak out when under fire. You can't really teach that skill; you either have the ability to remain calm or you don't.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    No.....but they can be diagnosed and locked down. Gabby Giffords assailant had a mile long paper trai; of mental issues and no one did a thing there either.
    I agree, people like this should not slip through the cracks, but they do every day. My post was mainly in response to LP1 who stated there are many barriers that need addressed. While I agree with what he's saying, I don't think any amount of money or treatment will help turds like the one in question, all the taxpayer funded help in the world won't keep some mental health professional from dropping the ball when the next piece of **** capable of this type of thing wanders into their office.

Not to mention the fact that if we throw a person in a deep dark hole forever, just because they may be crazy enough to harm others, is a really slippery slope. I don't have any answers to any of this, other than I'll do what I can to look out for myself and my loved ones.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I agree, people like this should not slip through the cracks, but they do every day. My post was mainly in response to LP1 who stated there are many barriers that need addressed. While I agree with what he's saying, I don't think any amount of money or treatment will help turds like the one in question, all the taxpayer funded help in the world won't keep some mental health professional from dropping the ball when the next piece of **** capable of this type of thing wanders into their office.

Not to mention the fact that if we throw a person in a deep dark hole forever, just because they may be crazy enough to harm others, is a really slippery slope. I don't have any answers to any of this, other than I'll do what I can to look out for myself and my loved ones.

Agreed.
    Most health care professionals are only looking at how much billing they can squeeze out of you anyway.

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    There are undoubtedly some/many incidents of multiple casualty civilian shootings in the U.S. in the past. However, my limited powers of recollection can't bring them to mind. Say circa 1960 and prior. I suppose I could Google it and find some, but the point I would make is that I don't remember them.

There were guns back "then" and I sure there were "crazy" people back then as well. Please help me understand what the causal effect or effects are that have resulted in these shootings ,

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I don't know if it's the right term but I wonder how normalcy bias enters here. When you are close to someone that is declining, it can be difficult to detect the decline until it reaches some critical level or milestone event occurs. It's possible AL's mom was used to his personality and behaviors and didn't see the red flags because it was just another day in their lives.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    There are undoubtedly some/many incidents of multiple casualty civilian shootings in the U.S. in the past. However, my limited powers of recollection can't bring them to mind. Say circa 1960 and prior. I suppose I could Google it and find some, but the point I would make is that I don't remember them.

There were guns back "then" and I sure there were "crazy" people back then as well. Please help me understand what the causal effect or effects are that have resulted in these shootings ,

Crazy is as crazy does. Mass shootings have been going on for ages and they're not likely to stop anytime soon. Schools have often been a target and will remain a target, no matter how many cops or armed teachers there are. Shoot, we're actually experiencing fewer mass shooting/killings than in previous decades.

List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Are Mass Shootings Becoming More Common in the United States? - Hit & Run : Reason.com

searpinski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Crazy is as crazy does. Mass shootings have been going on for ages and they're not likely to stop anytime soon. Schools have often been a target and will remain a target, no matter how many cops or armed teachers there are. Shoot, we're actually experiencing fewer mass shooting/killings than in previous decades.

List of school shootings in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Are Mass Shootings Becoming More Common in the United States? - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Great point and thank you for the links. I enjoy watching everyone try to apply logic to a person who is nuts.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Everybody says we should concentrate on mental health. Until a specific proposal is made. Then its a violation of their rights. Then there's another tragedy. Then it could have all been prevented if we'd focused on mental health. Then a specific proposal is made. Then its a violation of their rights. Then there's another tragedy. Then it could have all been prevented if we'd focused on mental health. Then a specific proposal is made. Then its a violation of their rights. Then there's another tragedy. Then it could have all been prevented if we'd focused on mental health. Then a specific proposal is made. Then its a violation of their rights. Then there's another tragedy. Then it could have all been prevented if we'd focused on mental health. Then a specific proposal is made. Then its a violation of their rights. Then there's another tragedy. Then it could have all been prevented if we'd focused on mental health. Then a specific proposal is made. Then its a violation of their rights.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Everybody says we should concentrate on mental health. Until a specific proposal is made. Then its a violation of their rights. Then there's another tragedy. Then it could have all been prevented if we'd focused on mental health. Then a specific proposal is made. Then its a violation of their rights. Then there's another tragedy. Then it could have all been prevented if we'd focused on mental health. Then a specific proposal is made. Then its a violation of their rights. Then there's another tragedy. Then it could have all been prevented if we'd focused on mental health. Then a specific proposal is made. Then its a violation of their rights. Then there's another tragedy. Then it could have all been prevented if we'd focused on mental health. Then a specific proposal is made. Then its a violation of their rights. Then there's another tragedy. Then it could have all been prevented if we'd focused on mental health. Then a specific proposal is made. Then its a violation of their rights.

As to an individuals rights. Do those rights not cease to exist if we can not function normally in society and follow its rules. Either by choice or inability (insane etc.) to co-exist.
    If someone is off center and wants to hurt others they no longer have the entire package in my eyes. Sad as it is they need to be put somewhere safe, for them and us. They do need to be cared for or culled depending on the situation. JMHO of course.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    As to an individuals rights. Do those rights not cease to exist if we can not function normally in society and follow its rules. Either by choice or inability (insane etc.) to co-exist.
    If someone is off center and wants to hurt others they no longer have the entire package in my eyes. Sad as it is they need to be put somewhere safe, for them and us. They do need to be cared for or culled depending on the situation. JMHO of course.
    The trouble is where to draw the line. Wanting to do something and actually doing it are not the same thing. I'm not a doctor and privacy law prevent doctors from giving me their medical history. It's a fine fine line. There is no easy answer sadly.

Top Bottom