Report: No "Global Warming" for 325 Months...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    That is what I try to impart on the kids when I am at school. They have absolutely NO idea how much energy is required to support their lifestyle. If we went all solar and wind and what not today, we'd all have to go back to subsistence farming and half of us would die due to civil war.

They also are under the misguided notion that we can all live in quaint little villages and ride bicycles around town rather than drive evil cars.

Again, as long as we all want to be farmers, and don't mind killing most of our neighbors, I don't see why that wouldn't work out.

I also tried to explain that if we're all farmers, no one will have time to be engineers or doctors or researchers or artists or anything wasteful like that.

And when you were done explaining, did they respond, "OK boomer"?:laugh:

What makes this even worse is if you go to numbers. I take their heating expenditure from a gas bill and convert it to BTUs and then convert that to a rough measure of how much more electricity they will need just to keep up. Then I might share with them that here in Ohio they can get roughly 30 to 35% of their electric needs via solar (before factoring in those increased heating costs) for about five hours per day, tailing off at the margins. So they'll likely need four or five times the area of solar, beyond what they envision, to meet demand and more than that to have excess to store in the storage system that doesn't exist yet! And that's just one of a huge number of changes needed to stop burning fossil fuels - need to charge your electric car and solar area goes up again. Run out of room on your roof and you have to start coating your yard, with tradeoffs in the already mediocre efficiency of the panels caused by less than optimal location

Then I'll turn back to them, see the glazed look in their eyes, and realize they have literally no ability to make back of the napkin calculations in order to judge the scientific rationality of any idea

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    What makes this even worse is if you go to numbers. I take their heating expenditure from a gas bill and convert it to BTUs and then convert that to a rough measure of how much more electricity they will need just to keep up. Then I might share with them that here in Ohio they can get roughly 30 to 35% of their electric needs via solar (before factoring in those increased heating costs) for about five hours per day, tailing off at the margins. So they'll likely need four or five times the area of solar, beyond what they envision, to meet demand and more than that to have excess to store in the storage system that doesn't exist yet! And that's just one of a huge number of changes needed to stop burning fossil fuels - need to charge your electric car and solar area goes up again. Run out of room on your roof and you have to start coating your yard, with tradeoffs in the already mediocre efficiency of the panels caused by less than optimal location

Then I'll turn back to them, see the glazed look in their eyes, and realize they have literally no ability to make back of the napkin calculations in order to judge the scientific rationality of any idea

I tried to get them to do something as simple as calculate the layout of a room and their teenage minds almost exploded, and these are the SMART kids...

But, they'll talk to me all day long about climate change and alternative energy and what needs to be done in our communities. You know, all the important stuff that actually matters.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    ...But, they'll talk to me all day long about climate change and alternative energy and what needs to be done in our communities. You know, all the important stuff that actually matters.

There is an alternative energy source that can produce more than enough electricity to power the world they want to live with a drastically reduced carbon footprint, it's called nuclear power.:popcorn:

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    EJwxijDWkAI1JLO

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    There is an alternative energy source that can produce more than enough electricity to power the world they want to live with a drastically reduced carbon footprint, it's called nuclear power.:popcorn:

I remember that from back in the 70s.

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    can you argue with indoctrination? Facts to matter to a cult. When a child is raised in a school to preaches climate change, then they leave school and watch TV, where the climate change is further preached. Then they listen to the radio, or go to movies, or consume almost any other media that is 90% left wing climate change sermons. From subtle disney kids shows, to in your face radical politics, its pushed to them at every angle every single day. It is only a matter of time, i believe. Every year the majority of students pumped out are idiotic political experts and doomsday screamers. Then many go to college where it becomes in your face hatred of any denier. Being young and weak, they all fit into the mold so they arent left out. This is all by design. Its not a mere accident that this happens. Gov't becomes more powerful, we become less powerful, and more people are indoctrinated into the thinking that it is ok. Ask yourself how a person can want a know nothing gov't official to run their health care. They actually dont want that, they just want that for others. Or think thats what they want. Then ask yourself how they got to that insane ideology. Then look around at public school, media, movies, tv shows, hollywood, etc. Its all right there in plain sight. I'll never forget when i was younger, i was watching local news, then i switched the channel to another station of local news, it was the exact same story. My mind was blown. I did this for a few days then literally became furious with this cooridinated crap to feed my mind what they all wanted me to see. my life changed drastically with that realization.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    There's big money in climate change for the well connected, small wonder it's pushed hard, it's making some people very rich at your expense.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    And sadly, their ignorance was not their creation, but rather what they have been taught by, dare I say it, boomers...
    :rolleyes: it would be fair to blame it on human nature. Millennials, genexers, boomers, silent generation, whatever. The different environmental inputs were pumped through the very same instincts to produce the next generational environment. Also, it is as ignorant to blame an entire generation for circumstances as it is to blame an entire race, or sex.

Blaming it on human nature, though true, isn’t all that helpful unless we identify behaviors we need to learn to override. We could also blame individuals for what they could have helped but didn’t, and then try to help that not happen. Beyond that, it’s barking at the moon.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    :rolleyes: it would be fair to blame it on human nature. Millennials, genexers, boomers, silent generation, whatever. The different environmental inputs were pumped through the very same instincts to produce the next generational environment. Also, it is as ignorant to blame an entire generation for circumstances as it is to blame an entire race, or sex.

Blaming it on human nature, though true, isn’t all that helpful unless we identify behaviors we need to learn to override. We could also blame individuals for what they could have helped but didn’t, and then try to help that not happen. Beyond that, it’s barking at the moon.

The same phenomenon is often seen in family owned business. Marsh is a great example. Usually the business fails by the 3rd generation, because the grandchildren only ever saw the fruit of the labor, not the actual labor itself. It's fairly predictable and makes sense.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The same phenomenon is often seen in family owned business. Marsh is a great example. Usually the business fails by the 3rd generation, because the grandchildren only ever saw the fruit of the labor, not the actual labor itself. It's fairly predictable and makes sense.
    I saw some statistics on that a while back. I don’t recall the numbers, but it’s actually statistically astonishing to see a family become a long term dynasty. It’s very rare. But when they do, it’s spectacular. But eventually even old money falls apart.

Usually though, the first generation entrepreneur makes the fortune, the next maintains, maybe advances it, the next squanders it.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The climate cultists heroes in Europe actually still use it.:coffee:

It was really demonized towards the end of the 70s. During the 80s I remember seeing a number of projects that were shelved partially completed. Billions wasted.

Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Top Bottom