• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I went shooting with a couple today that is trying to buy a handgun for her protection and maybe to carry. They had never shot a gun and decided to rent some handguns at Vandalia Range & Armory. The place was packed. I noted to my friend that I had never seen a gunstore with so many people in it. I read another post that someone where everyone was commenting about the stores being packed. My friends rented a variety of handguns, mostly 9 mm: Springfield XD full size (jammed once) and XD compact, HK, Ruger SR9 and SR9C, Sig P230, Sig P250, Glock 19, Glock 34, a S&W .38, and my Glock 26.They shot for 2 hours and they enjoyed themselves. The range officer was ajerk. I understand his position and having to work with a variety of skill levels, but I’m just saying.… She narrowed it down to the SR9C, Glock 26, and one of the Sigs and I think it was the P250, leaning heavily toward the Ruger. She really didn’t like the XD’s at all. She out shot her husband, and it was driving him crazy! LOL! I told him that woman shoot better than men, because they are better at following instructions…given by men. LOL! I shot the SR9C I will have to say I liked it. To my surprise, I was more accurate with it than I am with my Glock 26. At 25 feet I put 5 shots in the size of a quarter, which I have never done with my 26. I’m just not consistent a shooter which tends to bug the crap out of me. Buying a Ruger SR9C doesn’t really seem practical to me though, because it isn’t the Glock’s fault. I just need more practice. Every gun or rifle I own was bought to fulfill a particular need, and it would only be duplicating my Glock. But I do want more guns.... :)
    Thoughts?

cardio1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 5, 2012
    South of Paradise
    Agree with SSGSAD, the next time they try out pistols look at the full size M&P 9. They might find the grip/feel better in the hand than either Glock or Ruger; at least should try it.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    Agree with SSGSAD, the next time they try out pistols look at the full size M&P 9. They might find the grip/feel better in the hand than either Glock or Ruger; at least should try it.
    Full sized handgun like an M&P isn't really what she is looking for as she is wanting to conceal it as she is a small lady. She may want to try the Ruger LC9.

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Full sized handgun like an M&P isn't really what she is looking for as she is wanting to conceal it as she is a small lady. She may want to try the Ruger LC9.

The only problem with this is that small concealable pistols are usually the most difficult for newbies to practice and learn on.

I shot the SR9C I will have to say I liked it. To my
    surprise, I was more accurate with it than I am with my Glock 26.

I've had this happen a number of times - you pick up someone else's gun and shoot amazingly well with it. There's always the temptation to go out and buy one - "It's a miracle gun!" But I wonder if sometimes you just have that much more foucs because it's an unfamiliar gun - or maybe you aren't used to the trigger so you get that "surprise break" effect.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    I've had this happen a number of times - you pick up someone else's gun and shoot amazingly well with it. There's always the temptation to go out and buy one - "It's a miracle gun!" But I wonder if sometimes you just have that much more foucs because it's an unfamiliar gun - or maybe you aren't used to the trigger so you get that "surprise break" effect.

Probably right about this. When I first bought my Glock I was much better with it. I have the targets to proove it. Often wondered why I cant replicate it. I put 9 of 10 shots on a paper plate at 50 feet with most of them within a four inch circle. Thought I had found the Holy Grail. :rolleyes:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    You didn't try a 1911? Someone had to say it :D

I have seen a lot of gals out shoot the guys! I really like the "taking instruction" excuse lol. You (for sure!) want to try a variety before dropping the $$ I was lucky enough to have friends and relatives that let me test drive.

Keep in mind that the range guns have a lot of rounds threw them. Exspecially if it is a popular gun. One or 2 failures over a few hundred rounds maybe be a sign the gun needs service. Not always a sign of a crappy gun. Surf the forums about the gun your thinking about. This forum is great. Ask a lot of questions. Lucky I have not been disapointed with my purchases. Although most have been new. And the used I have bought have been from trusted friends and family.

I would not want the job of a range officer :n00b: Exspecially if it is a lady dealing with a bunch of guys! I wish her luck and no doubt she can out shoot most of the guys! :patriot:

Chkline

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2012
    Anderson
    1911ly might be right about trying out a 1911. The slim profile usually is a winner with the ladies, and it is hard to beat the ergo. Maybe one of the new Colt Mustangs, or similar smaller 1911 variants would be a great solution to the cc your friend is looking for.

Top Bottom