Republic Anti Gun Opinion piece...yah, someones not happy...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Rep. Jim Lucas likes guns.
    The Seymour Republican likes guns so much that every time someone suggests that maybe there’s too much gun violence in this country or that the National Rifle Association, of which he is a devout member, might be a touch unreasonable, he fires off impassioned notes proclaiming the ownership of firearms to be part of a “Natural Right.” (Lucas likes capital letters, too — not as much as he likes guns, but he likes them nonetheless.)

Anyway, more drivel....but it'll hit the paper tomorrow.

A few highlights...

Pulling quotes from concern of copyright..go to website link below

This one has me scratching my head...he claims gun owners never say a gun is more than a tool unless it suits their purposes...but he never says when it supposedly is that we change our tune on it being something more than a tool.

Pulling quotes from concern of copyright..go to website link below.

Last edited:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    How did you come to knowledge of this as-yet-unpublished opinion piece?

Anyway, more drivel....but it'll hit the paper tomorrow.

A few highlights...

This one has me scratching my head...he claims gun owners never say a gun is more than a tool unless it suits their purposes...but he never says when it supposedly is that we change our tune on it being something more than a tool.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I have liked their page on facebook and they post up stuff the night before(it may have been in todays paper now that I think about it...it never said see tomorrows paper or anything to indicate it wasn't in print yet.)....

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Well I have met Rep. Lucas because he is my representative in Seymour. He is in fact a devoted gun owner. I know this because I have seen him at the range. He is very logical, well informed and well spoken. He has my support.

As far as the Editorial or Opinion piece in the Republic. Send me an email address and I will reach out. I have a standing policy that people in the media or politicians are welcome to attend the NRA classes that I host for free. Or I would be happy to take them to the range. I will even give them the guns and ammo.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Author info...

John Krull is director of Franklin College’s Pulliam School of Journalism, host of “No Limits” WFYI 90.1 Indianapolis and publisher of TheStatehouseFile.com, a news website powered by Franklin College journalism students.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    And he appatently doesnt know how to do proper research. Stating kellermann statistics as proof is well...embarrassing to say the least.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    I have interacted with the Honorable Mr. Lucas in the past. I find everything that the author of this particular piece says of Mr. Lucas to enhance his (Mr. Lucas, that is) standing in my eyes, not diminish it.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Well I have met Rep. Lucas because he is my representative in Seymour. He is in fact a devoted gun owner. I know this because I have seen him at the range. He is very logical, well informed and well spoken. He has my support.

As far as the Editorial or Opinion piece in the Republic. Send me an email address and I will reach out. I have a standing policy that people in the media or politicians are welcome to attend the NRA classes that I host for free. Or I would be happy to take them to the range. I will even give them the guns and ammo.

Uh. . . I'm the editor of a small newspaper with limited circulation; the "We don't need no steenking guns" weekly. I post scathing anti gun commentary all the time. I'd like a WWII issue pristine condition Thompson SMG with oh, say, 50,000 rounds and then we can talk.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Neither was mine. It said I needed to verify my email despite the fact that Disqus had already recognized me. I'm betting it's the paper's way of capturing email leads.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Side note. We had a bus run over a kid in Seymour this year. I am not aware of any school shootings in town.

2 kids were run over by a bus last week in Taylorsville. My heart skipped a beat when I saw the news as its my daughters school. I was very thankful that it appears both kids involved would be OK. I 'thought' about pointing that out...but figured 'too soon' would sum it up.

Mosineer

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 1, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    Excellent response from Rep. Lucas in the comment section:yesway:
    ....as far Mr. Krull goes, he is obviously another far left academic, who will without care, throw anything out there in hopes that it will stick. Their ilk will only use data (no matter how erroneous) that fits their narrow interpretation on what society should look like.:noway:

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I believe this diatribe of which you speak originated on the 3rd here: Commentary: The man who really likes guns - TheStatehouseFile.com

Oh, and on this originating site, Jim Lucas responded personally:
    Jim Lucas said:
    Jim Lucas
    March 4, 2014 - 8:51 am Facts, Mr. Krull. Facts.
    You want “more sensible gun laws”. I get it. Here’s a fact, bad guys don’t follow the laws. Please, be specific and offer another gun law, on top of the ones we already have, that will keep a person that doesn’t follow the law from doing a bad thing with a gun. Just one.
    Yes, I love guns! I love what they provide. They are incredibly enjoyable to shoot (let’s go shooting sometime, I’ll provide the guns and ammo!), they help teach responsibility and most of all, they provide me the best means of defending my Life, Liberty and Property against people that want to violently take these from me.
    This is what this country was founded on and this Natural Right to self-defense and self-preservation is what is recognized and protected by the Second Amendment and Article 1 Section 32 of the Indiana State Constitution.
    These protections in the Preamble are very plainly written Mr. Krull. As a director of a School of Journalism, I would expect you, of all people, to understand plainly written words. The Preamble to the Bill of Rights plainly states – “THE Conventions of a number of the States, having at the time of their adopting the Constitution, expressed a desire, in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added: And as extending the ground of public confidence in the Government, will best ensure the beneficent ends of its institution.”
    “in order to prevent misconstruction or abuse of its powers, that further declaratory and restrictive clauses should be added” – Repeated for effect!
    This really is as simple as it can get, Mr. Krull. These protections were put in place against governments, activist judges, and even journalists using the great power of their position to erode or infringe upon these Rights.
    To be personally mentioned over 20 times in an article that offers not one specific solution, and the fact that you have not once contacted me for an interview, speaks volumes Mr. Krull.
    Bad people will do bad things. I love that guns provide and enable the innocent peaceful person, men and women, to protect themselves against bad people, Mr. Krull.
    Please, think about this last statement.
    In fact, the back and forth there is more entertaining than Krull's original screed.

H/T: The Gun Wire® ? The Last 24 Hours of Gun News Headlines, Updated All Day Long

Last edited:
    Top Bottom