• ...and so much more!
  • Mellow

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Harrison County
    Should it be legal for me to kill you?

I see the point your making. Aborting a fetus is tantamount to murder. If that's your argument then we need to decide when life begins. Technically sperm is alive. This means that most 16 year olds have committed mass murder while looking at a nudy-mag.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I see the point your making. Aborting a fetus is tantamount to murder. If that's your argument then we need to decide when life begins. Technically sperm is alive. This means that most 16 year olds have committed mass murder while looking at a nudy-mag.

The best I can offer you is that at the time of conception a unique new pattern of DNA is formed. If I had to hold up a moment and say, "This is it," that would be it.

I will grant you that I have a very difficult time with allowing the government to mind people's business under circumstances not specifically addressed in the Constitution, which leads me to the conclusion that it is not a federal issue to address abortion one way or the other, but rather, under the Tenth Amendment, the prerogative of the state. On that note, most states prohibit murder. Believing in the personhood of the unborn, I am left with no recourse but to oppose their murder just as much as anyone else's.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Great. Now all that is left to do is pass a law forcing those who believe different to fall in line.

In that case, legalize murder across the board. It really would make life much simpler and certainly not cater to anyone's religious or other restrictive values, save perhaps Satan worshipers who then would be able to have their human sacrifices in peace.

Degtyaryov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    For good reason: most of their voters oppose gun control, but not everyone is anti abortion. Many women (and men) value their reproductive rights and want their elected representatives to reflect that. Not every gun rights advocate is anti abortion, you know.

chizzle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Dec 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    For good reason: most of their voters oppose gun control, but not everyone is anti abortion. Many women (and men) value their reproductive rights and want their elected representatives to reflect that. Not every gun rights advocate is anti abortion, you know.

Well said. I think the OP assumes that every gun owner is a Rush Limbaugh type Republican. If that were the only type of Republican, I wouldn't be one. Ron Paul cured me of that way of thinking in 2007 :D

newguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2010
    warrick county
    this will always be a tuff nut to crack. i could not imagine the thought process that would lead someone to wanting an abortion. but on the other hand how do you argue this when there are women and or teens that have been raped by either strangers or relatives and now they are saddled with a child that was forced upon them?
    i could not fathom the thought of my wife or daughter having to go through this. even though i am very pro life i dont think i could ever be convincing enough to anyone in that scenerio to go ahead with the pregnancy. maybe the gop should take the "we do not condone nor condem " stance. sure its basically giving in but it may need to be done.

noname1

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    This issue has been decided by the courts and there will never be the votes needed for a Constitutional ammendment. Why ruin your chances of getting elected by pushing the issue. Richard Mourdoch sounded like an idiot in the debate when this question sunk his campaign.

If you are volunteering to pay to raise peoples unwanted kids, I suppose that's fine to ban abortion, but just realize those people will probably grow up to vote for Obama type politicians.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    If you are volunteering to pay to raise peoples unwanted kids, I suppose that's fine to ban abortion, but just realize those people will probably grow up to vote for Obama type politicians.

Why not make it legal to kill your children if you don't want them any time prior to their striking out on their own? The logic or lack thereof fits equally on this.

Why not simply execute Obama voters. At least they have proven themselves, as opposed to an unborn child who has not done anything to anyone?

As you can see, unless you apply selective and unequal standards, you cannot justify this argument.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    The best I can offer you is that at the time of conception a unique new pattern of DNA is formed. If I had to hold up a moment and say, "This is it," that would be it.

I will grant you that I have a very difficult time with allowing the government to mind people's business under circumstances not specifically addressed in the Constitution, which leads me to the conclusion that it is not a federal issue to address abortion one way or the other, but rather, under the Tenth Amendment, the prerogative of the state. On that note, most states prohibit murder. Believing in the personhood of the unborn, I am left with no recourse but to oppose their murder just as much as anyone else's.

I would say that when a baby could survive outside or has a heartbeat would be a more accurate timeframe for declaring them a person. Fetuses don't have a heartbeat for how many weeks after fertilization? There are so many circumstances that can cause a fetus to not make it that we would be putting women in jail for murder every day all over our country.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I would say that when a baby could survive outside or has a heartbeat would be a more accurate timeframe for declaring them a person. Fetuses don't have a heartbeat for how many weeks after fertilization? There are so many circumstances that can cause a fetus to not make it that we would be putting women in jail for murder every day all over our country.

Shouldn't that be a problem only if there is no burden to prove intent? That said, I can see a need to be concerned that an overzealous prosecutor (a frighteningly common creature) would be prosecuting miscarriages as criminal offenses.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Shouldn't that be a problem only if there is no burden to prove intent? That said, I can see a need to be concerned that an overzealous prosecutor (a frighteningly common creature) would be prosecuting miscarriages as criminal offenses.

They could go the "negligence" route and then it's the burden of the woman to provide proof she didn't do anything wrong.

Scary stuff, I know. I would prefer we not go this route at all, but if the christian crazies have their way we WILL be going this way.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    They could go the "negligence" route and then it's the burden of the woman to provide proof she didn't do anything wrong.

Scary stuff, I know. I would prefer we not go this route at all, but if the christian crazies have their way we WILL be going this way.

You are being absurd.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    What part of pre-natal murder is the domain of "christian crazies"?
    What part of codifying into law that all rights are attached to all humans, no matter how young, small, and/or indefensible is crazy, whether Christian, Sikh, Buddhist, or atheist?

Really? How about the fact that a lot of people don't think 1 second old fetuses are humans.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    How is that the domain of "christian crazies"?

Please provide your rationale for that assertion.

Well, considering this indoctrination of "personhood" seems to be spouted from Christians at every opportunity let's go with that. And it's not a "gray" area debate, it's "All or nothing" which means nobody bends or compromises.

I also admit I add "crazies" to liberals who are ranting about taking guns as well. It's not limited to Christians.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Well, considering this indoctrination of "personhood" seems to be spouted from Christians at every opportunity let's go with that. And it's not a "gray" area debate, it's "All or nothing" which means nobody bends or compromises.

I also admit I add "crazies" to liberals who are ranting about taking guns as well. It's not limited to Christians.

Ok, so you're blanket saying that only Christians logically arrive at the conclusion that human life begins at conception. Well assume, for the sake of argument, that your generalization is true. Then like I asked earlier, somewhere, when in a person's development do they become human beings? There has to be a defined moment where the free thinking, enlightened ones believe it occurs. Now, if you back up in time from that point, just 1 millisecond, what is the status?

Top Bottom