• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    What the heck are these reputation icons below your avatar? What do they mean? How do you use them? How can you tell why you would have (or not have) any? I've never paid attention to them before, nor have I encountered them on any other board. Any info would be appreciated.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    What the heck are these reputation icons below your avatar? What do they mean? How do you use them? How can you tell why you would have (or not have) any? I've never paid attention to them before, nor have I encountered them on any other board. Any info would be appreciated.

Other members can add or remove reputation points to your posts by clicking the reputation icon below your name (between the "online" and "report post" icons). If you click on the UserCP tab, you can see who's left reputation for you.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    Basically if you found someones post on INGO to be helpful you can thank them by adding to their reputation. If you didn't appreciate someones post you can you can leave negative reputation.

It is our hope that system will be used mostly for thanking a member for their informative post.

To leave reputation simply click this icon that appears under the user name

reputation.gif

Along with the reputation you can leave a message.

To view a users reputation notice the box(s) below the user name

Green = positive
    reputation_pos.gif

Grey = Neutral
    reputation_balance.gif

Red = Negative
    reputation_neg.gif

To view your reputation and comments left for you make sure you are logged into the forum and click on UserCP and you will notice if you have received reputation by scrolling to the bottom of the page.

nav_usercp.gif

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I'm glad someone else asked about this, I didn't want to ask and feel stupid.

Sending a +1 your way, Nick. haha

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay, I have to ask!

What purpose does the "neutral" option serve?

I understand (I think) the positive and negative feedback aspects, but not the neutral.

Well, I can see how it would be useful for a transaction, but I don't really understand why someone would use it to comment on something someone wrote in a topic. Am I missing something?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Okay, I have to ask!

What purpose does the "neutral" option serve?

I understand (I think) the positive and negative feedback aspects, but not the neutral.

Well, I can see how it would be useful for a transaction, but I don't really understand why someone would use it to comment on something someone wrote in a topic. Am I missing something?

Maybe it's like one if those 99-cents-per-call news phone-in polls. There's always a percentage of "undecided". Honestly, who calls a phone-in poll and says "Gee, I just spent 99 cents to tell you that I don't have opinion!"

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Yes, You can't leave neutral reputation. But it's possible if you had a certain amount of positive reps and negative reps that your rep meter could potentially show a grey (neutral) box.

Okay, maybe I misunderstand how this works. I looked on my CP to see who left what, and I see one red box one one gray box among the others. So how was the gray box put there? Or did that person do it more than once, and the average they left was neutral?

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Ha!

I wondered what those little green boxes were for.

<-----I only have one box of approval. :dunno:

[<---Stomps away mad, taking his ball with him.]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    For what my opinion is worth, I can see some positive benefits to this feature, especially for people who are seeking to buy or sell things on here. However, I also see how this could go badly overall. Leaving the red marks is going to eventually lead to personal animosities that might have otherwise gone unnoticed and thus unexpressed. As an example, I see a red mark on my list, and I think, "what the ...???" Sometimes these things seem to come out of left field. It seems like a way for people who lack the confidence to express their displeasure directly to have a passive-aggressive outlet for the same feelings, and that almost always leads to making things worth "in real life." I can't see it helping much here.

However, I repeat that I do see a huge benefit for people who are doing business transactions through here.

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    I see it as more of just a fun thing. If it gets out of hand we can always just shut it off. Many forums use this. It is a feature that comes with the VB software.

For what my opinion is worth, I can see some positive benefits to this feature, especially for people who are seeking to buy or sell things on here. However, I also see how this could go badly overall. Leaving the red marks is going to eventually lead to personal animosities that might have otherwise gone unnoticed and thus unexpressed. As an example, I see a red mark on my list, and I think, "what the ...???" Sometimes these things seem to come out of left field. It seems like a way for people who lack the confidence to express their displeasure directly to have a passive-aggressive outlet for the same feelings, and that almost always leads to making things worth "in real life." I can't see it helping much here.

However, I repeat that I do see a huge benefit for people who are doing business transactions through here.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I see it as more of just a fun thing. If it gets out of hand we can always just shut it off. Many forums use this. It is a feature that comes with the VB software.

Hah! Maybe I just didn't notice it other places I've been.

I went ahead and used it to see how it works, and I see what you meant about how you can only leave positive or negative.

So, does that mean if someone does multiple entries for you, they only appear in the list once, and the color is an "average" of what they have selected? If that's the case, is the comment the most recent, or the first?

Fenway

no longer pays the bills
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2008
    behind you
    To be honest with you I have no idea. I just work here. :):

So, does that mean if someone does multiple entries for you, they only appear in the list once, and the color is an "average" of what they have selected? If that's the case, is the comment the most recent, or the first?

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    To be honest with you I have no idea. I just work here. :):

The vBulletin manual doesn't go into a ton of detail, but from what I can tell, the score you give when you rate a post is based in some way on your own profile (which seems to be a combination of your post count, your time since you registered, and your own reputation score). So if someone with a low post count or a short reg. time gives you reputation, it carries less weight than someone like Fenway. There seems to be a non-zero threshold at which the color goes from gray to green. You may have received rep points from someone who didn't have enough to cross the threshold.

Top Bottom