Required reading for you Tactical Johnnies out there!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SIGnature45

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    South Bend
    Good post, the problem is the people that need to see this video are too busy playing video games and searching the Internet for more tactical accessories.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Excellent advice.

I must confess last time I was at the range I almost broke one of these rules. Smaller dude with a shotgun getting beat to heck with buckshot, just did not have the technique (at all).

I wanted to say something, but kept my mouth in check.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Why is this addressed to "Tactical Johnnies" when everyone can benefit from this advice? It's not only the "tactical johnnies" that insist on giving advice and telling you why they're better than you even though you JUST outshot them, it's hunters. I have run into more problems with hunters bugging me than the "tactical johnnies." If they're not deriding my choice in rifles they're lecturing me on proper form (for hunting, when I'm not training to hunt).

Other than that minor quibble with the thread as posted, it's spot on. Leave people the **** alone when they're shooting.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Why is this addressed to "Tactical Johnnies" when everyone can benefit from this advice? It's not only the "tactical johnnies" that insist on giving advice and telling you why they're better than you even though you JUST outshot them, it's hunters. I have run into more problems with hunters bugging me than the "tactical johnnies." If they're not deriding my choice in rifles they're lecturing me on proper form (for hunting, when I'm not training to hunt).

Other than that minor quibble with the thread as posted, it's spot on. Leave people the **** alone when they're shooting.

It's got great advice (reminders) to all however the first few reminders about not giving advice, don't hover, dont run up to the females I deemed appropraite for those that I call "Tactical Johnnies" because they want to give a lesson plan without being formlly trained other than Youtube! and are not asked for their input etc. What few hunters that I have seen tried to give advice are Tactical Johnnies that happen to hunt part time, not the jim Shocky type!

JMHO

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Good advice

All that is good advice. The one thing I try to remember, and would remind others as well, is that engaging in casual conversation doesn't give one license to offer unsolicited advice. In other words..."Good morning" is not the same as "please use the rest of our time together telling me everything you're sure I need to know". :)

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    That article reads exactly like the conversation that my buddy and I had the last time we were at the range.

It is all about being courtious to the others on the range. We are afterall participating in a hobby where mistakes and accidents have the potential to cost lives. So a little courtesy and respect is greatly appreciated.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    It's got great advice (reminders) to all however the first few reminders about not giving advice, don't hover, dont run up to the females I deemed appropraite for those that I call "Tactical Johnnies" because they want to give a lesson plan without being formlly trained other than Youtube! and are not asked for their input etc. What few hunters that I have seen tried to give advice are Tactical Johnnies that happen to hunt part time, not the jim Shocky type!

JMHO

Funny. My experiences have been a little different. On the rare occasion I've been hassled it was hunters. The other guys with evil black rifles either 1) leave me alone, or 2) say "hey, how's it going?" without trying to offer advice (and without haranguing me for owning an AK because I don't need that to hunt).

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    I think it leaves a lot out... New shooters are clueless...

1. Pick up your ****ing brass and put it where it belongs.
    2. If its your, your wife or your kids or friends first time shooting... make sure YOU keep the weapon pointed in a safe direction. Nothing worse than someone shooting for the first time pull the trigger. Then stop with the gun in their hand and turn around with a smile.... I'm glad they got the thrill, but keep the damn muzzle down range!
    3. take care of your last target... I don't want to be the next guy to use your lane and have to throw your ragged target away.
    4. Please don't touch my **** unless you ask....

Other than that... I couldn't care less what you do. You are welcome to stand behind me or ask me questions. You can offer advice if you want... My ego will allow me to sort through your advice. You can even approach my significant other and hit on her. With any luck I'll trade you straight up for an M1A....

lucky4034

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 14, 2012
    Good post, the problem is the people that need to see this video are too busy playing video games and searching the Internet for more tactical accessories.

Call of Duty gets a bad rap, but it shouldn't....

Because of Call of Duty... ALL of my little 12yo's friends are interested in going to the range and learning about firearms. ALL OF THEM....

I've actually bought an extra .22lr so I can take her friends to Appleseeds this year to learn responsible gun ownership. I've also spoken to a couple of their parents and told them of their childs interest and asked if it would be ok if they come to the range with my family sometime this spring.

Before COD Black Ops 2 came out... none of them could have given a **** less. All of them were scared of me because I own "evil guns". Now I'm the cool dad that plays Call of Duty and gets to shoot firearms in real life.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Last three times I have been to a truly public range I will admit that I handled other people's rifles. In each case they left the guns loaded when others were planning to go down range. In one case they turned the gun around to point away from the range. I as politely as I can state that we should check our guns and make sure they are unloaded. After all I trust them (lie) but you never know who might walk up while we are down range.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Call of Duty gets a bad rap, but it shouldn't....

Because of Call of Duty... ALL of my little 12yo's friends are interested in going to the range and learning about firearms. ALL OF THEM....

I've actually bought an extra .22lr so I can take her friends to Appleseeds this year to learn responsible gun ownership. I've also spoken to a couple of their parents and told them of their childs interest and asked if it would be ok if they come to the range with my family sometime this spring.

Before COD Black Ops 2 came out... none of them could have given a **** less. All of them were scared of me because I own "evil guns". Now I'm the cool dad that plays Call of Duty and gets to shoot firearms in real life.
    Just make sure they don't try to hip fire or quick scope!

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana

Agreed. The biggest pains I have ever dealt with at the range were almost exclusively the one-shot-every-30-seconds-bolt-fed-hand-loaded jerk.

Top Bottom