• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • prowland

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Greenwood
    I am looking for a folding knife with some requirements. It will serve as a duty knife for a firefighter/EMT.

I have been looking at several and don't know what is best.

I like the following but am open to other suggestions.

Spyderco ASSIST 1
    ASSIST I - C79PSOR - Emergency/Fire/Rescue - Orange FRN Handle

Gerber Hinderer Rescue
    Hinderer Rescue - Red Handle

Benchmade 916S-ORG Triage
    Benchmade 916S-ORG Triage Rescue Knife Hook Opposing Bevel (3.5" Satin Serr) - Blade HQ

Really what I want is bright scales to make it easier to find and a few extra job specifics like blunt end for EMS working.

Thanks in advance!

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Of these models, I'd go Spyderco. Once you get a bunch of blood all over your knife, all those other whoodads and widgets and stuff make it super hard to clean.

They used to (and might still) make a model that was made of some fancy steel that was really corrosion resistant. They pushed it for saltwater, but I found it worked well with Chlorine and stuff as well (I was a full-time lifeguard at that point). I liked the black handle on that one so I could spot it on the bottom of the pool if I dropped it, and if I got into anything nasty I could let it sit in a bucket of bleach and it would be G2G..

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    They used to (and might still) make a model that was made of some fancy steel that was really corrosion resistant. They pushed it for saltwater, but I found it worked well with Chlorine and stuff as well (I was a full-time lifeguard at that point). I liked the black handle on that one so I could spot it on the bottom of the pool if I dropped it, and if I got into anything nasty I could let it sit in a bucket of bleach and it would be G2G..

Are you talking about the H1 models or something else?

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Looking at Spyde's website, yeah - it's called the "Salt" line and they use H1 steel. They claim that it can't rust - I don't know how much I believe THAT line, but it sure resists corrosion well.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE a good Benchmade knife. But for dedicated EMS work where it's going to get icky? It'd be more than I'd be willing to spend, that's for sure.. they price trauma shears cheap enough that you can just toss them in your biohazard bag and get a new pair, I don't know that a $150 knife would ever come out of my pocket - not on a public safety employee's pay!

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    The N680 steel in that Benchmade is similiar in corrosion resistance to the aforementioned H1. I've played with a buddies Triage, and was really impressed.

I currently carry a Surefire Delta @ work, and absolutely love it. The price is a major turn off however, if your not a knife nut.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I was looking for a rescue as well. I found this one, although not the most happy its not American made, it is a great knife and have been carrying it daily for awhile now. Has a seat belt cutter and a window punch, and a blade. A little larger then I would like, as well as not happy with the window punch location, but works out great.
    BLACKHAWK! CQD® Mark 1 Type E - BLACKHAWK!

I have seen them for a lot cheaper, so I would say make sure you shop around, but this is the one that I have. Works great.

AD Marc

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    On duty i carry a Spyderco Delica with the Emerson wave opener. The wave will open O2 bottles easily. I don't use my knife for cutting clothing since i carry a pair of shears and a Benchmade rescue hook, which both work considerably better for that purpose, so there's no need for a blunted edge. For busting windows, i have a $7 res-q-me on my keys which works far better than most knives that contain integrated widow punches and has a seatbelt cutter.

Top Bottom