• ...and so much more!
  • Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Well, since I own a RV dealership in Fort Wayne I will give my opinion.

Brands to stay away from- Dutchman, Rockwood and Coleman (from late 90's through mid 2000's). Dutchman have floor issues. Coleman for roughly 10 years had a ABS roof. They were notorious for cracking and a huge recall was done. The company who made the roof actually went under because of the recall and thousands of Coleman owners are stuck with worthless campers. Rockwoods make a nice looking pop up, however many have soft floor issues.

Good models- Jayco- all models, Coachman Clippers, Fleetwood Niagara, Starcraft Centennial, Starcraft Star Stream.

I suggest going with a "high wall" style camper. This type is in demand and will hold its value much better. Make sure the unit has A/C. The resale value is quite a bit lower without A/C. Check the canvas well. Look for rips, tears and patches. Sometimes you can get mold but we have tricks which gets rid of it in minutes.

Watch for soft floors, step around the edges. If the floor is soft, leave, Look for water spots in the ceiling. If the ceiling is bad I would pass. Around the edges of the roof where the latch attaches, make sure the wood behind is good and solid. This is a week spot on pop ups.

I would also consider going with a hybrid over a pop up.

If you have any questions and would like to speak with me PM me and I will send you my number.

Here is a pop up we just sold. For a pop up she was a beast.

knottsrvpopup_zps01f2f845.jpg

PistolBob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 6, 2010
    Midwest US
    Why do you need a furnace and an Air Conditioner? Are you going to be camping out in all four seasons? Why do you need a chemical toilet in a pop-up? That's like putting a pickle bucket toilet in the back of your mini van. Sounds to me like you need a camping trailer not a pop up. Where are you going to camp? All the state parks have modern private showers now, as well as modern private flush toilets.

Get a camper with AC, no doubt about it. A fridge is nice too but keep in mind it's going to sit most of the year without running...they don't last long. You might be better off with a couple of good coolers.

Think about it, you, the wife, the kid are in your 10 by 10 pop up camper trying to enjoy breakfast while one of you is sitting on the toilet...no thanks.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Think about it, you, the wife, the kid are in your 10 by 10 pop up camper trying to enjoy breakfast while one of you is sitting on the toilet...no thanks.

Most pop ups have a cassette toilet (not a black holding tank). They do not hold much and are more for late night emergency's for the little ones.

If one had beans, sausage and a half dozen PBR for dinner the restroom provided by the park might be a better alternative. ;)

Jeepers

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Jayco makes great stuff. Any used Coleman would work. Don't worry about too many frills on it but be sure to take a good look at the canvas. My wife and I went through the same process 6-7 years ago and don't regret it a bit. You can always go tent camping if you want but it sure is nice having a popup!

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    Ok, now to make some people mad. I see a lot of people bad mouthing things they don't have or don't know how to use. I have an 06 Fleetwood (Coleman) Evolution 2 aka E2. I wouldn't trade my toilet for anything. When it's pouring rain outside at 4 in the morning and your young daughter has to go to the bathroom and your camp site is a 5 minute walk away from said bathroom....you get the point.

I've never ever had a problem with odors. I'm guessing people that have either didn't use chemicals, used too much, or used the wrong kind. Besides, there is a ton of air flow thru a popup.

I sure loved the air conditioner last July for our week at Brown Co. State Park when temps were in the upper 90's all week. That's half the reason to upgrade to any camper right there. And no we don't sit around inside all day either but it's nice to duck in for a nap. It's really great at night to because it pulls the humidity out of the air.

Don't listen to the nay sayers about the refrigerators either. In general they are not as efficient as a normal one with a compressor but mine will still freeze milk if I crank it all the way down.

Now with all that said, someday I'll get a toy hauler but I'll still hopefully be able to hold on to the popop. Twice I've had it where no regular camper could ever go and that was pretty cool.

There's a ton of info on the popup section at rv.net and at popupportal.com

Feel free to hit me up with any specific questions.

70R

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2010
    West Lafayette, IN
    We have a Fleetwood (Coleman) that we bought new about 6 years ago. It's the Utah CP model. CP stands for cassette pottie. We wouldn't have a popup without one. We use the campsite facilities during the day and the CP at night.

We also have a refrigerator (120V, 12v or propane). Sometimes we just pack coolers, then transfer to the refrigerator after we setup. It all depends on remembering to plug it in the night before! Some models have "to down fridge access", but our model does not.

I added a Carrier Air V air conditioner. With the slide-out and two king beds, it's a little big for us now that the kids are grown, but we're hooked on it. It's not a high wall, so setup/tear down takes a little longer. Propane furnace and electric mattress pads are also must-haves for us.

Things to keep in mind:
    - some of the high walls use a holding tank for the toilet black water. Forces you to wait in line at the dump station.
    - towing weight and tow vehicle capacity. Some folks use weight distributing hitches with the larger models. Our model weighs around 3800lbs, but we tow with a 1500HD Silverado
    - mods! Many people go crazy making mods to their popups. The quality varies all over the map.

HTH

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    It is nice breezing by that long dump line with my camper. I can dump the casset about anywhere, even in a toilet. My E2 has the deck on the front. I have 2 propane tanks and two 6 volt golf cart type batteries. The "dry" tongue weight is listed as 400 pounds. After my batteries, propane, and storage containers on the front deck with cast irod pots/pans, and other junk I don't even want to know what my tongue weight is. Luckily I pull it with a 3/4 ton Suburban.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    We have a Fleetwood (Coleman) that we bought new about 6 years ago. It's the Utah CP model. CP stands for cassette pottie. We wouldn't have a popup without one. We use the campsite facilities during the day and the CP at night.

We also have a refrigerator (120V, 12v or propane). Sometimes we just pack coolers, then transfer to the refrigerator after we setup. It all depends on remembering to plug it in the night before! Some models have "to down fridge access", but our model does not.

I added a Carrier Air V air conditioner. With the slide-out and two king beds, it's a little big for us now that the kids are grown, but we're hooked on it. It's not a high wall, so setup/tear down takes a little longer. Propane furnace and electric mattress pads are also must-haves for us.

Things to keep in mind:
    - some of the high walls use a holding tank for the toilet black water. Forces you to wait in line at the dump station.
    - towing weight and tow vehicle capacity. Some folks use weight distributing hitches with the larger models. Our model weighs around 3800lbs, but we tow with a 1500HD Silverado
    - mods! Many people go crazy making mods to their popups. The quality varies all over the map.

HTH

Very helpful info. I am strongly leaning toward a high wall model but your comment about the holding tank vs cassette is interesting. Never would have thought about that. Like you I plan on having the toilet be a late night assurance for my wife and son. I will have to see which high wall models have cassettes.

And the AC will definitely be something that lets us use it more during the middle of summer.

I have an F150 so I don't think weight will be much of an issue.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    In general pop up campers hold their value better than hard side campers. There are some pretty nice high wall campers out there but honestly I would strongly consider just getting a regular camper. You can find very reasonable campers for the same price as a high wall.
    And with an air conditioner on top you may not be able to fit a highwall inside of a garage.
    If you're going to have most of the disadvantages of a regular camper you may as well have the advantages of one also.

Top Bottom