• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • unionblue19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Kokomo, Indiana
    What does it all take to become a reserve police officer in Indiana?
    Can't find much solid info on this subject. So figure to ask the mass of brain power of the board. :cool:

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Specifically, what are you wanting to know? What training you have to undergo? How you get hired? Feel free to send me a PM, I know a little bit about it.

BillyT

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Indy
    I looked at the impd reserve seems like you go
    Through everything regular officers do but minus pay. I have no experience but I'd do it. Great way to give back to the community.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Training depends on the department. The state mandates a 40 hour pre-basic course but some depts go abeyond that...of course some dont.

jamie12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Pendleton
    When I was a reserve, until about 7 years ago, I had to take the same physical and then a whopping (estimated) 40 hours training course online. I was in a small town so I'm sure Indy would be different.

unionblue19

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2011
    Kokomo, Indiana
    The ability to stomp on people's heads and necks... To degrade everyone you meet... To violate citizen's civil and constitutional rights... All for free and all while wearing really cool ****ing boots.

Oh...you meant... Never mind... :D
    I already got the cool boot just being an EMT and all other I guess that come with the job at some point in that you got to do what is right in that 1 min of o S~~~. It you or him going home, I choose me then maybe you.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Manly all the traning that goes into it is manly. I'm kind of looking before I leap type of thing.

As VUPD said, it depends on the department for the most part. The state mandates a 40 hour class, then it's up to your individual department. It also depends on how the department utilizes its reserves. Some departments only allow reserves to ride with full time officers, some departments allow reserves to work alone just like a full time officer would. Some departments only use reserves for special events, some have them work regular road patrols like any other full time officer. Some departments only give reserves police authority while on duty, some give them full police powers 24/7. Your best bet would be to stop in and talk to someone at the department you're looking to work for and just ask them how they handle it. Also be sure to ask what equipment/uniforms they provide and what you're responsible for buying. Ask what the time commitment is for the department, i.e. do they require you work one shift per month? Two? Three?

IN1911

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    I think this would be a good idea to get your foot in the door if you wanted to be a full time cop down the road, or just a way to give back...

firemedic140

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Harlan, IN
    It's been several years. But , within the last year of me resigning, the State instituted a computer based class. Doing away with the 40 hour class. You then needed to find a defensive tactics class and firearms qualifications. May have changed again.

Top Bottom