Reset only, or full release? How do you train?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I am considering a new handgun purchase. Right now, I am leaning heavily toward the Sig-Sauer P365XL. As such, I have been reading and watching a lot of reviews. Nearly everyone who reviews a gun has a range session included in the video. Nearly everyone also releases the trigger completely between shots. I was trained, and still practice that you release ONLY TO THE RESET. Ok, this does not apply to DAO pistols or most revolvers, granted. On striker fired, or SAO pistols it seems idiotic to release the trigger completely. To my way of shooting, and my experience, I can get more shots off, more quickly, and more accurately if I just release to the reset. Completely releasing the trigger leaves me with 'first-shot' dynamics for every shot, increases tendency to jerk/snap the trigger, slows me down, and worst of all, decreases accuracy.
    Am I doing it wrong? Are there good reasons to completely release the trigger between rounds? I have never had to shoot in a high-stress threat situation. I have noticed that most/all of the reviewers who do a mag dump, and hit what they are shooting at, only release to reset. Opinions/experience please.

G582

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2012
    Greenwood
    Depends on what your training for. Competition go for it. My view is under stress may cause you to short stroke at the worst possible time. If you have a tendency to jerk/snap the trigger, whether its the first shot or any other I would tell you to work in your trigger press. That way you can pick up anything and shoot well enough, not just the one you've trained yourself to shoot from reset.

Last edited:

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    Depends on firearm/trigger. Reset on a Browning Hi Power almost doesn't exist. On Glocks or 1911's I try for reset, same on AR's. I have always been taught to shoot to reset and I find that also helps to prevent slapping the trigger. Find out what suits you best.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Depends on what your training for. Competition go for it. My view is under stress may cause you to short stroke at the worst possible time. If you have a tendency to jerk/snap the trigger, whether its the first shot or any other I would tell you to work in your trigger press. That way you can pick up anything and shoot well enough, not just the one you've trained yourself to shoot from reset.
    THIS

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Some of the best shooters in the world release all the way and slap the crap out of the trigger. Of course their grip is also like a vise. For the regular person I think best results are achieved through trigger control and proper grip. In that case as you say it may behoove you to not throw your finger all of the way forward off the trigger. There of course will be differing opinions on this. Some of the it depends comes in with how many different guns do you shoot and how much do you practice. As mentioned above you don't want to come up short. As long as you are resetting during recoil and getting a full release, you should be good.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    In reply to CedarTop. I do shoot a few different handguns: P365, P320, Glock 21, and Browing BuckMark. On all of these, I practice to release only to reset during each string of fire. If/when I return to ready position, I remove my finger from the trigger and put is straight along the frame. This requires another 'first-pull' if I have to get back on the trigger; and any subsequent shots in that string will be from reset. That is how I've always done, mostly. The other part of mostly is DA/DAO revolvers and pistols. I grew up with revolvers; been shooting them for about 50 years. My DAO/Revolver stroke is complete trigger release, specifically to avoid short-stroking. I do not 'stage' these triggers. On the decision to fire, I make one straight, continuous, even pull to point of discharge. I feel that staging is a recipe for a negligent discharge. If I am going to shoot, I shoot. If I am not ready to shoot, the trigger is at full release.
    I tried a DA/SA Sig P220 years ago. Nice gun. The DA/SA system seems like an accident waiting to happen to me. A cocked and locked 1911 is way safer than a DA/SA where I have to use a decocker. That, in a nutshell (ok, big nutshell) is how I shoot. It is how I train. It seems to work OK for me. But, like I said, I've never been in a 'high-stress-gotta-shoot-or-be-shot' situation. I guess what I am asking is, "Where is this going to fail me if/when the SHTF?" With the way things are going lately, I think SHTF is more and more likely every day.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Some of the best shooters in the world release all the way and slap the crap out of the trigger. Of course their grip is also like a vise. For the regular person I think best results are achieved through trigger control and proper grip. In that case as you say it may behoove you to not throw your finger all of the way forward off the trigger. There of course will be differing opinions on this. Some of the it depends comes in with how many different guns do you shoot and how much do you practice. As mentioned above you don't want to come up short. As long as you are resetting during recoil and getting a full release, you should be good.

I used to fret a lot over the reset vs slapping thing. Fought with the dredded "trigger freeze" more than once.

Coach (my grip guy) told me once that he was a perpetual trigger slapper. I felt a bit better about myself after that and concentrated on a consistent perfect grip, along with a smooth full trigger pull, front to back, every pull.

Last edited:

Hawkeye7br

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 9, 2015
    Terre Haute
    Not handgun, but pertinent. Have a TacSol 10/22, shoot steel challenge with it. I have tendency to grip tightly and just squeeze with whole hand to make my rifle go bang. In doing so, I was not releasing the trigger enough to fire subsequent shots. I started focusing on just trigger finger pull/release and problems went away. You need to be versatile...speed shooting requires full release, slow fire you can just reset.
    My .02

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Assuming we're talking about semiauto handguns, it probably depends how you're shooting. If you're needing to go fast, at some level you're going to have to let go of it all the way to achieve the highest speed, because your body cannot go max speed if it's trying to slow down at some point in the cycle. (This is why Jerry Miculek used a heavy trigger when setting his revolver speed record - it needs to snap back quickly). If the application requires more accuracy, you may find it more beneficial to release only to reset, especially if shooting one-handed. When shooting one-handed, I definitely "trap" the trigger and only release to reset, because if I release it all the way, it is a lot of work to get the trigger back through the break point while keeping the sights under control with just one hand.

But two-handed shooting, if you're shooting torso-precision targets 15 yards or closer, and trying to go fast, you're probably going to be letting go of it all the way.

When it gets to about 25 yards, the accuracy requirements are getting to a level that "slapping" starts to reach its limitations. That's why small 25-yard poppers destroy so many shooters at USPSA matches; they will empty a mag at the thing because slapping is the only thing they know, and can't make the transition. There does come a level where a different type of trigger control is needed.

There is no one answer. It depends what you're doing.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Very interesting comments so far. The videos (and a few others) were good at explaining WHY what I am doing is wrong. It seems I could get more accurate shots on target, more quickly, if I get off the trigger immediately. Time for some range work on a new technique. Always willing to learn. Thanks. I'll get back here after a range session of 'getting off the trigger' immediately.

bullcrap

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2023
    Paoli
    I am considering a new handgun purchase. Right now, I am leaning heavily toward the Sig-Sauer P365XL. As such, I have been reading and watching a lot of reviews. Nearly everyone who reviews a gun has a range session included in the video. Nearly everyone also releases the trigger completely between shots. I was trained, and still practice that you release ONLY TO THE RESET. Ok, this does not apply to DAO pistols or most revolvers, granted. On striker fired, or SAO pistols it seems idiotic to release the trigger completely. To my way of shooting, and my experience, I can get more shots off, more quickly, and more accurately if I just release to the reset. Completely releasing the trigger leaves me with 'first-shot' dynamics for every shot, increases tendency to jerk/snap the trigger, slows me down, and worst of all, decreases accuracy.
    Am I doing it wrong? Are there good reasons to completely release the trigger between rounds? I have never had to shoot in a high-stress threat situation. I have noticed that most/all of the reviewers who do a mag dump, and hit what they are shooting at, only release to reset. Opinions/experience please.
    Use what works for you best, for what your using the it for.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    I am curious that a lot of RO teach to GET OFF THE TRIGGER on firing, and getting back on as you acquire sight picture. They preach (I don't know either way) that it will help you (me?) shoot faster, and with more accuracy. Straight up, I don't believe that, but I am willing to experiment. The first thing I have to do is UNLEARN 'release to reset ONLY on firing. Hey, if nothing else, it will be fun launching projectiles down range. I do believe I will use the .22 BuckMark to start this process. My honest belief, at this point, is that full release and getting back on the trigger will leave me with 'first-shot' mechanics for every shot. We shall see.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Every time I have tried to release only to reset I end up with a double tap so now I do full releases.

Maybe with proper instruction I could learn the proper way to release my trigger without double tapping.

Bassat

I shoot Canon, too!
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2022
    Osceola, Indiana 46561
    Every time I have tried to release only to reset I end up with a double tap so now I do full releases.

Maybe with proper instruction I could learn the proper way to release my trigger without double tapping.
    That is exactly what I am afraid will happen when I try to get off the trigger immediately, then re-acquire a 'ready-to-go trigger'. I have no problems currently when releasing only to reset. Then again, I am looking to practice 'real world' shooting. ND when the trigger is already at break point, and sights are on target is real possibility.

Top Bottom