Reshaping (bending?) bolt action handle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • POC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    West Baden, IN
    I have my, venerable, Stevens 66-B Buckhorn rifle. I got the side mount base and rings. I got everything mounted with the scope. When the bolt is lifted it is about 1/8" away from the body tube of the scope, which is ok, close, but doable. But when I pull the bolt handle back the handle hits the magnification ring on the scope.
    The bolt is very bright shiny silver. I'm not sure if the whole thing is chrome(?) or exactly what it is. Would it be possible to heat and bend the bolt handle so it would angle a little more? As it is, it is roughly an upside down, obtuse "L" shape.
    Any advise is appreciated.

Here is the only pic I currently have of that bolt. I'll get other pics if needed. This is before I put the scope on, obviously.
    022.jpg

I found this pic too. Again not super helpful, but there is plenty of room for the handle to be brought closer to the action, which is what would make things work a whole lot better for me.
    086.jpg

Thanks guys,

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK
    Steve Wagner has a lot of great write ups on sporterizing Mausers, which usually need their bolts bent.

As little way as you need to go, and being a rimfire, it won't need much heat. Brownell's Heat Stop Paste would keep the knob and the bolt body from discoloring, if you care about that sort of thing.

Top Bottom