• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    I'm getting married in Oct, but my fiancee is currently a resident of IL. She will be moving in with me here in IN, and we were both wondering if there is a length of time she has to be a resident of IN before she can apply for a LTCH. I've searched in.gov and the ISP site, but can't seem to find anything on this issue. Does anyone know the answer, preferably with a link to the specific IC or requirment information?

92ThoStro

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    I would imagine it be the exact same requirements to get a drivers license.

And all the BMV wants is...

Evidence of residency in Indiana includes:

Maintaining a legal address in the State of Indiana and not claiming residency in another state

If she has an IN drivers license or ID, she can get an LTCH. I wouldn't try to get an LTCH with her IL DL at the local police department.

JasonB

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2013
    Pittsboro, IN
    As soon as she can become a legal Indiana resident...

Should be safe with same timing you'll have to have to get Indiana Marriage License which used to be at least 3 months inside Indiana in County you applied in.

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    Don't know if this helps, but I moved to IN in January and I got my INDL in April. When I purchased a firearm in May, I had to prove that I have lived in Indiana for at least 3 months. Since my DL was issued in April, I had to prove otherwise that I had lived here for at least 3 months. So I would say that 3 months without another legal residence out of state is the timeframe.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    From the IN.gov website:

Residency requirements for Indiana can fall into one of three general categories:

1. General purposes: Residency is established by registering to vote, enrolling a child in school, paying taxes, or living in the state for 183 days without a residence in another state. New residents of Indiana have 60 days to get an Indiana driver's license.

2. Educational purposes: Residency in regards to higher educational tuition is governed by university/ college admissions offices. For more information, contact your university/ college admissions office, the Indiana Commission for Higher Education, or the Indiana Commission on Proprietary Education.

3. Military status: You must have selected "home state" with your military payroll to be considered a state resident. For more information, contact your superiors in the military.

From Item 1, it looks like you need to be here for 6 months (183 days).

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    The 183 days is the longest you can stay in Indiana without a residence in another state before Indiana AUTOMATICALLY considers you a resident.

For residency purposes other than college tuition, you are a resident as soon as you say you are. So you can go to the DMV and get an IN DL as soon as you have something they require to prove you are a resident. There is a list on their site.

As soon as you have that DL (they mail them now so it takes a few days) you have enough to apply for LTCH. There is no waiting period for either the DL or LTCH.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    So on the LTCH application, you have to indicate that you have lived in IN from month/year to month/year. If the total time is less than 183 days, will they grant the permit?

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    So on the LTCH application, you have to indicate that you have lived in IN from month/year to month/year. If the total time is less than 183 days, will they grant the permit?

If you have an INDL, that already proves you're a resident so the 183 days is irrelevant. It only counts if you've lived in the state that long without getting an INDL, voter registration, etc.

Top Bottom