Residency, establishing it, and what is needed for LTCH and gun purchases?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Ive been an Illinois resident for the past 50 years. Last fall I bought a place in NW Indiana. I own land, registered to vote, and get credit card, utility and phone bills mailed to my Indiana address. When my passport expired I had the new one sent to my Indiana address.
    I also still have a place in Illinois. Due to employment I really need to keep my drivers license in Illinois. I have my bank statments, DL, and license plates registered there.
    I plan on applying for my LTCH. I have spent many hours reading up on what is required to apply, and I feel I meet all the requirments. I am in unincorperated Lake County, so I need to call them to clarify exactly what they will want ID wise to apply for my license. I don't have a Indiana photo ID, but I can't find it written anywhere that I need one. I do have a valid passport as a picture ID.

I have all the requirments met for a Indiana ID card http://www.in.gov/bmv/files/SecureID_Documents_List.pdf I am concerned about the legality of getting one of those while still holding a Illinois state ID card and DL?

If I am able to obtain my LTCH with my current ID's and information I still have a couple of other concerns.

If I get pulled over in Indiana and I have a gun in the car am I going to catch **** from the cop due to the illinois plates and DL? Am I probably going to get arrested?

I have a friend in Indiana that has been a gun guy forever. My plans are to use his FFL buddy for any out of state purchases. Does a FFL have to see a state issued picture ID, or would my LTCH and passport be adequate?

I recently contacted a site supporter about purchasing a gun they had on sale. I was told in no uncertain terms that I needed a Indiana DL to make a purchase from them. I may be in a entire seperate can of worms trying to even buy a gun even if I am legal in the eyes of the law.

Have any of you guys been caught in circumstances like this? I would welcome thoughts from any cops or lawyers on the board as well?

JdsBiff

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 10, 2011
    Muncie
    Why not apply for a non-resident LTCH? Should take care of the residency problem but it is only good for 4 years. You could contact the Indiana State Police via email with the same questions and get some answers.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Ive been an Illinois resident for the past 50 years. Last fall I bought a place in NW Indiana. I own land, registered to vote, and get credit card, utility and phone bills mailed to my Indiana address. When my passport expired I had the new one sent to my Indiana address.
    I also still have a place in Illinois. Due to employment I really need to keep my drivers license in Illinois. I have my bank statments, DL, and license plates registered there.

IANAL, but the below might be a problem for you.

Where do you plan to file your taxes?

If Indiana, I'd bet that in order to truly be a state resident, you will need a Indiana Driver license, and that drags your vehicle registration right along with it.

Otherwise leaving the above as Illinois documents, you would be considered a IL resident being a Indiana property owner and your only recourse would be a non-resident permit.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    This doesn't really answer your question, but here's what makes you a resident:

INGO FAQ said:
    I'm moving to Indiana. How do I "establish residency"? (In other words, what act will make my permit from elsewhere no longer valid?)

IC 9-13-2-78
    Indiana resident
    Sec. 78. "Indiana resident" refers to a person who is one (1) of the following:
    (1) A person who has been living in Indiana for at least one hundred eighty-three (183) days during a calendar year and who has a legal residence in another state. However, the term does not include a person who has been living in Indiana for any of the following purposes:
    (A) Attending a postsecondary educational institution.
    (B) Serving on active duty in the armed forces of the United States.
    (2) A person who is living in Indiana if the person has no other legal residence.

(3) A person who is registered to vote in Indiana.

(4) A person who has a child enrolled in an elementary or a secondary school located in Indiana.

(5) A person who has more than one-half (1/2) of the person's gross income (as defined in Section 61 of the Internal Revenue Code) derived from sources in Indiana using the provisions applicable to determining the source of adjusted gross income that are set forth in IC 6-3-2-2. However, a person who is considered a resident under this subdivision is not a resident if the person proves by a preponderance of the evidence that the person is not a resident under subdivisions (1) through (4).

(6) A person who:
    (A) is enrolled as a student of a truck driver training school;
    (B) has legal residence in another state but is living in Indiana temporarily for the express purpose of taking a course of study from the truck driver training school; and
    (C) intends to return to the person's state of residence upon completion of the course of study of the truck driver training school.​

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    Ive called Indy, and stopped by the Lake County sheriffs office. Over the phone Indy told me that the local jurisdiction decides on what they require as identification. I went in person to Lake County and they told me that their policy is that I need either a Indiana DL or Indiana State ID card to apply for the LTCH, my passport, voters reg, utility bills, property records, etc dont suffice for their policy. So the bottom line is im heading off today to get my Indiana DL.

Top Bottom