• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Midge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    jeffersonville
    I know VERY little about firearms. I am still in the process of learning. Is there any resource(s) anyone would recommend for me? I.e. books, sites, classes near Jeffersonville? I have gained most of my knowledge from hanging around Falls city firearms and my fiance but I know I still have a LONG way to go. I grew up in a culture sans guns and had very little contact with them until after college

and now, just because I learned how, here is a piece of dancing bacon
    :bacondance:

ZX-14R

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I would start where it is free, I would watch any videos you can find on Youtube featuring Massad Ayoob, Travis Haley, and Chris Costa. Also, you can learn a lot about firearms and ballistics from various videos from hickok45, Sturmgewehre and tnoutdoors9. These are a few of my favorites and NO, it is not a suitable replacement for real hands on training, practice and education. But there is a wealth of knowledge and experience only a few clicks and some bandwidth away.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Midge,
    To help better direct peoples suggestions I have a couple of questions.
    What do you want to do with firearms? (defense, just for fun, ...)
    What type of firearms? (rifle, pistol, shotgun)
    Thanks, Dave

Midge

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2012
    jeffersonville
    sorry for the incredibly slow reply. My main reason for wanting information is safety. My fiancée owns several guns (mostly hand guns, a few long guns), and I feel that for personal safety or if we have children, the best way to keep the safe is to have knowledge of the gun myself, that and someday they may come in handy (hopefully not).

I suppose I am also seeking knowledge to support my sweetie who loves them ;-)

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    Midge,

IMO, the absolute best website to give an overview of firearm, self-defense, and safety is http://www.corneredcat.com/. The site was written for women by a woman. When I first became interested in owning a gun about 6 years ago I ran across that site and read it. I found it to be well written, practical, and factual. The information isn't filled with a lot of testosterone B.S. that usually gets spewed out on the internet. Give it a read and then use that information as a baseline to further your firearm education. The author also has the same information in a book available on Amazon, B & N, etc. Well worth the money.

I've referred several friends, both women and men to the site and they have found it very helpful. Unfortunately, I don't think the site is taken as serious as it deserves by the shooting community because it was written by a woman and is directed towards women.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Pitmaster is right. Kathy Jackson's web site is excellent. Her book is worth having. The Personal Defense Network site is good as well.

Midge,
    Since you seem to desire understanding of guns in general more than pure defensive training this might be one of the rare times I would recommend the NRA basic courses. These classes spend a lot of time hands on learning how different types of guns work. with very little range time.
    If you wanted a more defensive focus I would recommend James Ashby and the Combat Focus Shooting program.

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    You can read about it and watch it on video... OR COME AND DO IT! We have NRA Basic Pistol and Rifle courses, as well as more advanced training for home defense and concealed carry. The courses go in a natural progression and give you plenty of hands on experience. We even provide the guns and ammo at no extra cost! Check out our website: www.IndyGunSafety.com.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    +1 for IndyGunSafety! I took their Basic Pistol class a few weeks ago and really enjoyed it. You would gain a wealth of information from a comprehensive class like that.

I came to INGO with essentially no knowledge and have learned a great deal simply from reading the forums and asking questions. I agree, YouTube is a great resource as well.

Top Bottom