• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    I think the man may have been justified when the facts do come out, a teen in the car may have threatened to shoot him or something although I would think one of them would have had to either exited the vehicle for it to be considered or pointed what he thought was a weapon at him.

Him leaving the scene after firing at the car 8 or 9 times though is just ridiculous. If you shot and damaged something you should contact the authorities after. The only reason he should have fired is if he felt his life was in danger, but if he felt that after shooting their car 8 times, and none of them being incapacitated to his knowledge, that he could simply drive away then there is no way he is going to win "self-defense" on this trial.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    You can never really tell from the sensationalized garbage you get from the media but, as reported, the guy made several mistakes.

"Police allege that while the girlfriend was in the store, Dunn told Jordan Russell Davis, 17, and his three friends to turn down their music." Not his place. They were not on his property. The only one who had cause to complain was the gas station owner/employee. Dunn should have kept his mouth shut. Responsible gun owners do not provoke trouble in this manner.

He left the scene. Nothing SCREAMS "I know I'm guilty" more than leaving. This couldn't have been more irresponsible.

Again, we don't have all the info but.....it did apparently start when Dunn opened his mouth in a situation where he had no cause to do so. Gun carriers....keep your mouth shut and don't go looking for trouble.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Until we know the remaining details, we cannot pass judgement either way as to whether it was justified or not.

Although, the fact that he left the scene DOES seem suspicious. He should have placed a call to the authorities and stayed on scene IMO.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    it did apparently start when Dunn opened his mouth in a situation where he had no cause to do so. Gun carriers....keep your mouth shut and don't go looking for trouble.

"Excuse me sir, but would you mind turning that down please?"

How could this be construed as "looking for trouble?"

I don't see a problem with asking someone for a common courtesy..

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    "Excuse me sir, but would you mind turning that down please?"

How could this be construed as "looking for trouble?"

I don't see a problem with asking someone for a common courtesy..

Then you're a fool in 2012 America. It wasn't his place. His interaction with these kids was going to last 5 minutes. It wasn't his problem.

If you're going to carry a gun, THINK. If you find initiating conversation with these kids appropriate, in this environment, you have no business carrying a firearm.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    Then you're a fool in 2012 America. It wasn't his place. His interaction with these kids was going to last 5 minutes. It wasn't his problem.

If you're going to carry a gun, THINK. If you find initiating conversation with these kids appropriate, in this environment, you have no business carrying a firearm.

"Excuse me sir, may I please sneak in here to grab a soda?" if you're in line and there's a guy next to the little fridge w/ cold beverages and you would like a soda that's next to the 'guy'.. You're telling me there's no reason for me to ask for common courtesy ?

The guy next to the fridge could snap in an instant and begin telling you off. Or he could move.. it's up to you to decide how you would like to react.

Same thing w/ the kids and their loud music. If I have a child sleeping in my vehicle, you're telling me that I have no right to ask the teens to turn the music down? It's up to me to determine how I would respond to their answer. If they give me a bunch of lip, it's my duty to not escalate things and simply walk away. If they are reasonable people, and turn the music down, where was the harm ? :dunno:

I simply refuse to walk around in fear of what people would say to reasonable requests for common courtesy. If you choose to, that's your problem.

I am responsible enough to make right choices based on others' inconsiderate responses but that's just me.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've done nothing more than frown at a person that was doing this. I never said one word. It was enough to start a fight. I wasn't armed. I'm lucky he wasn't armed either.

I think from that I've learned to just ignore the DB's. If I were to hurt him over something so trivial, what do you think would've happened? Yeah, not worth it.

Get used to the DB's. They're going to be around us the rest of our lives.

jgreiner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 13, 2011
    Lafayette, IN

Sigh...there is nothing wrong with common courtesy and asking someone politely to turn their music down. Or to not swear in front of your young kids.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort

Sorry I 100% disagree with Pinchaser, I guess that makes me a fool? To state you can't speak to anyone in fear of retaliation is ridiculous. Worst case they threaten you and it does escalate. If they point a weapon at me or jump out of the car and threaten me, THEN I can and will retaliate. If they just give me a hard time, I may call the police if their actions justify. In most cities there is a noise ordinance - most likely these "kids" were violating that ordinance. I refuse in 2012 to act any different than I did in the 1950's. Anyone that escalates a polite request to be courteous is not only a threat to me but to the general population and I will not ignore that. There may be a lot more to this story than has been printed by the liberal media although leaving the scene after discharging a firearm is stupid UNLESS he had reasonable cause to feel his or his family's life was in danger. In any case the police should have been called. However I will withhold judgement until the whole story is told in court.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Sigh and sigh again.

As jgreiner said............."Sigh". Sigh for what was probably a totally avoidable shooting incident and sigh again for people who are incapable of discussing anything without insulting those who disagree with them. :(

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Florida....why am I not surprised.

What's up with the denizens of that state? 80% of the F'ed up stories in the news are based in Florida.

Ash

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2010
    Bartholomew County
    r0AYH.gif

I kid, of course.

But, Bugs doesn't fool around though.

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    Him leaving the scene after firing at the car 8 or 9 times though is just ridiculous.

That fact might be what destroys his case. With the Florida laws, he's allowed the right to defend his life with lethal force if he's threatened with it. So if one of the kids said, "I'm gonna kill you" he wouldn't need to wait to see a gun before he defended his life.

BUT... taking off like that? *tsk*tsk*
    That seems like fear/guilt to me. If he knew he was in the right, he would have stayed on scene and lent police his cooperation.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Greenwood
    If it was self defense then he acted suspiciously by driving off and looks guilty in doing so. But, as others have said, I wont say anything until I hear the facts.

6mm Shoot

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2012
    The facts? We will never know the facts. Each side will tell there truth and pray that the powers that be believe them and punish the other side.

Generally the one with the best legal eagle will win. Not always but most of the time.

As far as what happened? Either side could have walked away till the gun was fired and that is how the law will look at it.

The guys playing the radio I would say gave the guy with the gun a hard time and he got even buy shooting him.

Top Bottom