Restaurant asks you to leave mid meal. Refund?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Yes, I get that the facility cost is built into the price of the steak, but that doesn't change the fact that the price is for a steak, not a steak and X amount of time at the table. Yes, I get that the environment helps justify the prices, but again, that doesn't mean they are included in the price in this context. You did not become a tenant by buying a steak, they are under no legal obligation to let you sit there as long as it takes for you to eat. You, however, are under a legal obligation to pay for the items you have consumed. You cannot steal "ambiance", but you can steal food.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Their electric bill is included in the price.
    Their rent is included in the price.
    their entire overhead is included in the price.

You are off your rocker if you think st Elmo's can set up a 10x10 tent on the street and get $100 a person for a takeout dinner.

:rolleyes:

What they pass through to the consumer as built into their pricing is not the same as what you are buying when you pay their prices. You're buying the meal. That doesn't give you any contractual rights to the table or chair anymore than it gives you the right to turn off their lights and demand they deduct it from your bill.

Honestly. ..you guys need to move into the real world.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    :rolleyes:

What they pass through to the consumer as built into their pricing is not the same as what you are buying when you pay their prices. You're buying the meal. That doesn't give you any contractual rights to the table or chair anymore than it gives you the right to turn off their lights and demand they deduct it from your bill.

Honestly. ..you guys need to move into the real world.

ok

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So all those that said "have them put what's left in a to go box and I'll pay and leave. I'm ok with it." I ask this...

So what if you were at a super busy establishment like Cheesecake Factory where it takes >90 minutes to get a table. You place your order and about 15-20 mins later your food arrives. In to go boxes with the check on top. The manager says " sorry, we are too busy and need your table. Your food is already boxed up. You can pay the server and be on your way. "

So that's OK? You got what you paid for so it's all good, right?

Or you bought a charcoal grill from a store that charges a bit more than others. But they come pre-assembled. This time the clerk brings your prepaid order out and it's still in the box. "Sorry, we didn't feel like assembling this one. " still ok with getting JUST the consumable product?

sorry, but paying for a meal in a restaurant is more than just paying for the food you eat.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    The owner asked you to leave, so the owner is breaking the contract. You don't owe for the food, IMHO. I would comply with the owner's wish and leave immediately. The loss of tip for the server isn't on me, it is on the owner.

Fortunately, I'm not sloppy with cc, and I prefer not to OC, so it would be highly unusual for this to happen to me.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    So all those that said "have them put what's left in a to go box and I'll pay and leave. I'm ok with it." I ask this...

So what if you were at a super busy establishment like Cheesecake Factory where it takes >90 minutes to get a table. You place your order and about 15-20 mins later your food arrives. In to go boxes with the check on top. The manager says " sorry, we are too busy and need your table. Your food is already boxed up. You can pay the server and be on your way. "

So that's OK? You got what you paid for so it's all good, right?

Or you bought a charcoal grill from a store that charges a bit more than others. But they come pre-assembled. This time the clerk brings your prepaid order out and it's still in the box. "Sorry, we didn't feel like assembling this one. " still ok with getting JUST the consumable product?

sorry, but paying for a meal in a restaurant is more than just paying for the food you eat.

You could buy a movie ticket, walk into the theatre and they say all the seats are taken, just stand off to the side - enjoy your movie!

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Some of you guys need to point out where it says on the menu that seating is included in the price. Here's a hint: it's not.

My way is this...

I have to ask you to leave...

What...right now?

Yes...

Okay.

Then I get up and leave without paying. They specified right now, which means right now. If they ask me to pay for my meal first I'll ask them to box it up for me and pay. But they choose. I just put it in such a way that they will probably voluntarily refuse payment by asking me to leave immediately.

I have yet to be kicked out of any place though.

Easiest way to explain that you are paying for food and not a seat is this.

You go to Applebee's or whatever, and order your favorite meal. Total comes to $27.34 as always. Next time you go, you decide you want to grab it to go and eat it at home with your honey bear while watching her favorite romantic comedy. Total comes to $27.34 again. Why is this? You aren't eating inside, so you should save money on the seating cost. Right? Wrong. You paid for food, not seating.

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    Easiest way to explain that you are paying for food and not a seat is this.

You go to Applebee's or whatever, and order your favorite meal. Total comes to $27.34 as always. Next time you go, you decide you want to grab it to go and eat it at home with your honey bear while watching her favorite romantic comedy. Total comes to $27.34 again. Why is this? You aren't eating inside, so you should save money on the seating cost. Right? Wrong. You paid for food, not seating.

You are paying for food and service. They offer two different service options for the same price, because their price is a calculation of their complete overhead to make sure they can still make a profit.

No where in the "you need to leave now" argument is that a level of service that is offered as a convenience to the customer.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    This has been discussed many times. The norm in America is that you are paying for the entire dining experience, not just for the food you ordered. If the restaurant chooses to interrupt that experience, for whatever reason, you don't owe anything. They're completely within their right to ask you to leave at any time. They also accept the loss as a consequence of doing so.

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    This has been discussed many times. The norm in America is that you are paying for the entire dining experience, not just for the food you ordered. If the restaurant chooses to interrupt that experience, for whatever reason, you don't owe anything. They're completely within their right to ask you to leave at any time. They also accept the loss as a consequence of doing so.

By not leaving immediately and waiting for your bill, arent you technically committing a crime of trespass?

Good points:rockwoot:
    If they did try to stop me from"leaving immediately"and pay for something I didn't get to finish they would come out to my car, after I moved it off their property so I'm not trespassing, then take my cash back in and bring me my change and receipt back out. Guaranteed they will be just fine with leaving and accepting the loss. I would explain this as I was walking out with the manager. You'd find out real quick if they wanted to feed their ego or their family. You can't do both!
    Also it would be interesting if they had an officer come up to you. Changes a lot obviously but, there would still be discussion on paying for food I was not permitted to eat. I'm not getting in a potential legal situation to prove a point but not a stinking door mat either.
    Lastly, don't "sloppy CC". Sloppy with firearms isn't worth the trouble:twocents:

Last edited:

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Good points:rockwoot:
    If they did try to stop me from"leaving immediately"and pay for something I didn't get to finish they would come out to my car, after I moved it off their property so I'm not trespassing, then take my cash back in and bring me my change and receipt back out. Guaranteed they will be just fine with leaving and accepting the loss. I would explain this as I was walking out with the manager. You'd find out real quick if they wanted to feed their ego or their family. You can't do both!
    Also it would be interesting if they had an officer come up to you. Changes a lot obviously but, there would still be discussion on paying for food I was not permitted to eat. I'm not getting in a potential legal situation to prove a point but not a stinking door mat either.
    Lastly, don't "sloppy CC". Sloppy with firearms isn't worth the trouble:twocents:
    Sloppy CC? What about those that OC all the time, no sloppy involved

Last edited:

dmarsh8

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    Katmandu
    Sloppy CC? What about those that OC all the time, no sloppy involved
    Agreed. But I don't oc.
    so, I don't have to deal with it.
    Nothing wrong with oc I just can't stand how people act stupid on occasion when they see a gun.
    I'd just rather make sure I can carry as much as possible with as little potential stupidity happening.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I've never heard of anyone not expecting a chair and table space with their food for a dine-in meal. Telling anyone not to expect a place to sit at a restaurant that has places to sit is crazy. When the house is full, people wait or leave, not eat on the floor. Places to sit aren't just a convenience, it's part of the restaurant business.

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I've never heard of anyone not expecting a chair and table space with their food for a dine-in meal. Telling anyone not to expect a place to sit at a restaurant that has places to sit is crazy. When the house is full, people wait or leave, not eat on the floor. Places to sit aren't just a convenience, it's part of the restaurant business.

I would tend to agree with that, but to say that you are paying for a place to sit when you eat somewhere is incorrect, in my opinion. If that were true, they would offer the to-go at a different, lower price. You are paying for food, not service/place to sit.

Top Bottom