• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Not going into details but say someone who goes to live in another state (has lived in IN for many years) and this person puts a pre court restraining order on you in that state even though IN has jurisdiction regardless of the legal outcome can that restraining order be enforced in IN? It's all a long story... No I am not the bad guy in this. Guns were removed from home.... If it can't be enforced then one would assume they could get the guns back?

Cant go into details due to multiple court dates but will say that the one who has the order on him is NOT the bad guy. Said person is talking to his attorney but would like LEO opinion also.

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    Lawyer is involved obviously was just curious if someone had encounterd someone with a restraining order from a different state.... IMPD told said person one thing on a somewhat related matter and attorney said something different..... So said person wants to make sure he will not have s lot of explains to do if he gets stoped and is carrying.... Guess said prison could ask s cop friend run his ID and see if it comes up???

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Lawyer is involved obviously was just curious if someone had encounterd someone with a restraining order from a different state.... IMPD told said person one thing on a somewhat related matter and attorney said something different..... So said person wants to make sure he will not have s lot of explains to do if he gets stoped and is carrying.... Guess said prison could ask s cop friend run his ID and see if it comes up???

IC code says any valid protection order is given full faith in Indiana regardless of state of issue.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    On my phone but just Google indiana code protection order.
    PURSUANT TO 18 U.S.C. 2265, THIS ORDER FOR PROTECTION SHALL BE GIVEN FULL FAITH AND CREDIT IN ANY OTHER STATE OR TRIBAL LAND AND SHALL BE ENFORCED AS IF IT WERE AN ORDER ISSUED IN THAT STATE OR TRIBAL LAND. PURSUANT TO 18 U.S.C. 922(g), ONCE A RESPONDENT HAS RECEIVED NOTICE OF THIS ORDER AND AN OPPORTUNITY TO BE HEARD, IT IS A FEDERAL VIOLATION TO PURCHASE, RECEIVE, OR POSSESS A FIREARM WHILE SUBJECT TO THIS ORDER IF THE PROTECTED PERSON IS:
    (A) THE RESPONDENT'S CURRENT OR FORMER SPOUSE;
    (B) A CURRENT OR FORMER PERSON WITH WHOM THE RESPONDENT RESIDED WHILE IN AN INTIMATE RELATIONSHIP; OR
    (C) A PERSON WITH WHOM....

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    When I went threw a divorce with my first wife she put a restraining order on me. It would appear to be SOP. The judge dropped it on the first court date. Best of luck to who ever has this issue. If there are no issues the problem will resolve itself with some time.

Top Bottom