• GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    “However, these stores should also remember that this isn’t a universal solution.

Private, armed security is a good thing, don’t get me wrong, but they’re not going to necessarily be able to stop all such violent crimes. After all, look at Buffalo. That store had armed security. The guard was killed early in the attack.

A uniformed, armed guard is a deterrent, but also a target for those who truly want to unleash horrors upon the world. What we need is more than justarmed guards.

We need good guys with guns across the board.

We need average Americans to be not just allowed to carry but encouraged to do so. We need a legion of armed citizens–good guys with guns–who can go about their lives and, in the process, provide herd immunity from violence.”

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    “However, these stores should also remember that this isn’t a universal solution.

Private, armed security is a good thing, don’t get me wrong, but they’re not going to necessarily be able to stop all such violent crimes. After all, look at Buffalo. That store had armed security. The guard was killed early in the attack.

A uniformed, armed guard is a deterrent, but also a target for those who truly want to unleash horrors upon the world. What we need is more than justarmed guards.

We need good guys with guns across the board.

We need average Americans to be not just allowed to carry but encouraged to do so. We need a legion of armed citizens–good guys with guns–who can go about their lives and, in the process, provide herd immunity from violence.”

I'm not sure that a uniformed armed guard is much of a deterrent in today's world and they are certainly a target. Good guys with guns are imperative but without some level of training they don't stand much of a chance. I'm all for everyone being armed but armed good guys are just the first step in solving the serious problem we are facing.. Training classes with great instructors are being ignored by 90% of the people carrying firearms. It costs too much and I don't have time are the two reasons I hear most. We are talking about having the knowledge and skills to defend your own life or those you love. Carrying a gun is as serious a responsibility you will undertake in your lifetime that requires sacrifices. Everyone should keep that in mind when walking out your front door with a gun in a holster.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Seems cyclical. The pharmacies started hiring guards for a bit then dropped them pretty quickly. One guard will dissuade the strong armed robbers (generally) and the not very dedicated. A lone guard is a target for the dedicated, and I've seen multiple instances of them dead/disabled/disarmed/taken hostage over my career. Multiple guards is a stronger deterrent, particularly if not allowed to be in one cluster but within view where one ambush style assault can't immediately target them all.

The biggest barrier to state side security is pay. It's tough to recruit and retain highly qualified candidates for the wages they tend to offer and there is no budget or will to train up new hires who didn't bring their own skills. Higher wage jobs are often hiring off duty sworn law enforcement, require a security clearance, or are longer term .gov gigs.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Part of the Concealed Handgun License in Texas is a responsibility to engage when you see a Peace Officer's life in danger. When I got mine, I believe the number was over 300 CHL licensed citizens that had been decorated for protecting an officers life in the course of his duty.

Like said above, it is pretty hard for one man to effectively protect a store if there are multiple criminals. However, in the last two weeks we have seen several instances where an armed good guy could have saved the life of another citizen in a few WalMart lots.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I'm not sure that a uniformed armed guard is much of a deterrent in today's world and they are certainly a target. Good guys with guns are imperative but without some level of training they don't stand much of a chance. I'm all for everyone being armed but armed good guys are just the first step in solving the serious problem we are facing.. Training classes with great instructors are being ignored but 90% of the people carrying firearms. It costs too much and I don't have time are the two reasons I hear most. We are talking about having the knowledge and skills to defend your own life or those you love. Carrying a gun is as serious a responsibility you will undertake in your lifetime that requires sacrifices. Everyone should keep that in mind when walking out your front door with a gun in a holster.

Abso-freakin'-lutely...and well said too!
    Carrying a firearm is a responsibility that far too many do not take seriously enough, such that they go out and actually obtain training, so that being both knowledgeable and prudent in one's daily carry is closer to 'ideal' verses not obtaining training.
    Developing a mindset for one's personal defense and situational awareness is a leaned or developed way of doing things!

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Seems cyclical. The pharmacies started hiring guards for a bit then dropped them pretty quickly. One guard will dissuade the strong armed robbers (generally) and the not very dedicated. A lone guard is a target for the dedicated, and I've seen multiple instances of them dead/disabled/disarmed/taken hostage over my career. Multiple guards is a stronger deterrent, particularly if not allowed to be in one cluster but within view where one ambush style assault can't immediately target them all.

The biggest barrier to state side security is pay. It's tough to recruit and retain highly qualified candidates for the wages they tend to offer and there is no budget or will to train up new hires who didn't bring their own skills. Higher wage jobs are often hiring off duty sworn law enforcement, require a security clearance, or are longer term .gov gigs.

I was in Iowa this past weekend, attending the funeral of my youngest cousin, and another cousin's son is a deputy in their county Sheriff Department, and he said that the current rate for 'contracted' law enforcement officers, who're providing security services, is $50 per hour, standard rate in their county and are usually considered at a 4 hour minimum to request an officer.
    With all the small town rodeos, motocross and other large gathering events in their county, he said he could work 20-24 hours extra per week x 48 weekends per year!

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    While in theory good idea, in practice not so much. As stated upstream. Honestly so yeah a threat is identified seriously do you think an underpaid unappreciated retail employee is really going to put it all on the line when the moment of need comes?

Honestly I would think retail chains are more interested in protecting their leakage versus customers.

There are far better ways, including supporting the 2nd amendment stop putting up criminal empowerment signs.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Part of the Concealed Handgun License in Texas is a responsibility to engage when you see a Peace Officer's life in danger. When I got mine, I believe the number was over 300 CHL licensed citizens that had been decorated for protecting an officers life in the course of his duty.

Like said above, it is pretty hard for one man to effectively protect a store if there are multiple criminals. However, in the last two weeks we have seen several instances where an armed good guy could have saved the life of another citizen in a few WalMart lots.
    Is this enumerated in the application process?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Is this enumerated in the application process?
    It is in the mandatory classroom section before the mandatory live fire skill proficiency test.

One thing about the skill test was strange, if you qualified with a revolver, you could only carry a revolver. If you qualified with a semi auto, you could carry anything. With all the easy to shoot 9mm pistols, that seems backwards. I'll bet very few who qualified with a semi auto could do well with the rapid fire double tap section of the test. By the time you add double action trigger pull to recoil, time and accuracy would be a lot tougher.

Last edited:

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Slight tangent...

And whats the point of unarmed security? Especially out of shape guys of retirement age? What are they going to do when the armed robber walks in? PNC loves to hire guys like that to stand around like a walmart greeter, except in a polyester uniform with a badge. That'll stop them.

Reactions: wcd

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    So there is a statutory requirement? Not being sarcastic but I am curious. Are Texans afforded the ability to carry in areas that would otherwise be off limits?
    There are the Title 30-06 laws. Any establishment is allowed to forbid an armed citizen IF they spell out the entire 30-06 rule paragraph in letters no less than 1 inch high on the entrance doors. (it is strange to see an entire paragraph of legal jargon on a door.) You are not allowed to carry in a restaurant that serves alcohol if they have a "51" posted on the entry which certifies over 1/2 of their income is alcohol. Federal buildings are the same as anywhere else.

It was 2009 when I took my exam. The public assistance section is not about kicking in doors to make arrests. It is about being willing to save an officer's life if you can. The culture in Texas, except maybe the liberal mecca of Austin, is that defending what is right is primary. Going soft on criminals is not an objective anyone would admit to in public.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    30-06 law:

The sign must:

1. Say the following exactly, in both English and Spanish:
    “Pursuant to Section 30.06, Penal Code (trespass by a license holder with a concealed handgun), a person licensed under Subchapter H, Chapter 411, Government Code (handgun licensing law), may not enter this property with a concealed handgun.”
    1. Be posted on the property and be displayed conspicuously, clearly visible to the public. Business owners should post 30.07 signs at each entrance, but at this time is not a requirement of 30.06 signs.
    2. The signs must appear in contrasting colors with block letters at least one inch in height.

Now there is also a 30-07 rule that allows concealed carry but forbids open carry except for Police business.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Nothing to do with mass shootings. This is about literally billions and billions of dollars walking out the door because of organized shoplifters.

Said shoplifters will quickly learn that, in the jurisdictions where the most shoplifting happens, these guards aren't actually empowered to do anything about it. The DA will ignore tens of millions of dollars in retail theft, then blitz you with everything he has because you raised a gun to a "nonviolent" shoplifter.

This is meaningless without a legal system willing to back it up.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Slight tangent...

And whats the point of unarmed security? Especially out of shape guys of retirement age? What are they going to do when the armed robber walks in? PNC loves to hire guys like that to stand around like a walmart greeter, except in a polyester uniform with a badge. That'll stop them.
    Our local Kroger had a guy for the past couple of years that looked like the little old man character that Tim Conway used to play on the Carol Burnett show. No gun, just a snappy looking uniform and a shiny badge.

I felt bad for the guy, but I also seriously questioned the wisdom of hiring unarmed, elderly guys that might weigh a buck and a quarter soaking wet.

I know some of the employees at Kroger, and asked one of the older ladies why corporate would put that guy in harms way like that, and she nodded in agreement and said it was absolutely ridiculous.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I would love to take some training but $375 is very prohibitive and it shouldn’t cost that much for a couple hours.
    I don't know of any class that charges $375 for 2 hours? The first serious class I took was a 3 day Gunsite class. I also assisted Coach for a couple of years with his advanced handgun classes at Parabellum as well as attending a couple of classes that BBIs and Coach collaborated on. IMHO 2 hours will not scratch the surface for most people to be somewhat proficient in defending yourself and others..
    I don't mind admitting that for the most part, the first training experience taught me how lacking I was in knowledge AND skills :ugh:
    For me training was enjoyable but not easy or cheap and you must park your ego at the door ( almost impossible for some) if you want the full benefit of the class.

Top Bottom