• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Our lockdown drills at the high school are "hide and turn off the lights". Not sure how the elementary does it now, but when I was there we would all crowd into the little coat rooms. One entrance, one exit, no doors. Would hate to think how many kids could be hit by a wide buckshot spread in that position.

I've had a few high school teachers who follow the lockdown drills in practice, but have told us if something actually happens just to book it for the doors. Sound advice if you ask me.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    "Mom's" will be against this kind of thinking. a "No Firearm" sign will stop any killer entering school and that is good enough.

PRasko

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Amish country
    I don't get it.

When I went to high school, there were armed police at each entrance.

This was...**** im old.....14 years ago.

Why all of the sudden is this an epiphany?

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    When I was in school, quite a few teachers were WWII, Korea, and Viet Nam vets. Bull**** was not tolerated, I suspect that if we still had that mindset, we wouldn't be talking much about it today. Until we loose the passive "oh **** I hope I don't become a victim" attitude, were screwed, no matter what.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I am on the emergency response team at my workplace which is a public space. Our protocol for an active shooter is to 1. Call the emergency code on the radio. 2. Turn off the radio and immediately head to the nearest exit, warning anyone enroute to leave now. 3. If exit is not possible, barricade and be prepared to fight with whatever weapons are at hand. Of course, said workplace is theoretically a GFZ. But at least that last "be prepared to fight" is better than "cower there and prepare to die" which would have been the protocol a decade previous.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Government creates the problem and then demands more tax money to "fix" the problem they created.

Eliminate GFZs and you will eliminate the school shootings.

I partially agree with this, but you're giving .gov too much credit in this case.

My company makes safety and security products, including a remote lockdown solution that uses a key fob to allow teachers to remotely lock down a classroom door with the push of a button. It's not a mom and pop shop either, but a well known brand that's already in use on campuses across the country.

Some reps from our company were on Capitol hill a few weeks ago talking to members of Congress and most of them were blissfully unaware that these products even existed. They sure aren't pushing for any type of federal funding for schools to install them.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Kirk F. has the only viable solution to this issue. Arming teachers and other selected volunteers is the only answer to this problem. Locking classrooms or herding children into "safe" area's sounds good, -- until some maniac decides to set the school on fire with gasoline or set off a bomb!! As the NRA stated the only defense against a BG with a gun is Good guys with guns.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Kirk F. has the only viable solution to this issue. Arming teachers and other selected volunteers is the only answer to this problem. Locking classrooms or herding children into "safe" area's sounds good, -- until some maniac decides to set the school on fire with gasoline or set off a bomb!! As the NRA stated the only defense against a BG with a gun is Good guys with guns.

I agree with you overall, but I doubt a good guy with a gun will do much to stop a bomb blast or put out a fire.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    With the way modern schools are built, 'fleeing' a classroom may be very difficult. If the door or doors are locked, there usually is no other way out. Windows are shatter proof and don't open. With plastic chairs the norm I'm not sure if an elementary school class room has anything stout enough to break those window. And those doors aren't bullet proof and most have glass window slits in them. Lots of things would have to be changed.

Top Bottom