• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    i am consitering a trade for an x leo gun. does anybody have any reasons why this would be a good or a bad idea?

the trade is my xd .40 compact for a glock22

bronson3304

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    kokomo
    i have a g19 gen 3 and i love it. but i want a full size .40 glock to match. just a little worried about a retiered police gun. how it looks and operates. it is a gen 3 as well

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    All of the police trade in Glocks I have seen are good to go. Most times they see the holster much more than the range. I have a police trade in G22 coming in this week for myself.
    As long as you do not mind a little holster wear you shouldn't have any problems.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have a retired Sig P226. No problems with the gun. Many le guns have a lot of holster wear but are otherwise mechanically sound.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I've seen a number of Ex-LEO G-22s that were in great shape and at $400 or less with night sights and 3 mags. I don't think there is a better deal out there on Glocks, especially if you want a G-22. Just MHO
    [FONT=&quot]NRA Life member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Gunsite graduate Certified Glock armorer[/FONT]

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I own several G-19/23/22/26/27 all LEO trade ins, I have one Sheriffs Dept marked that was/is 173 serial numbers above the one I was issued and turned in. I like 2nd Gen Glocks and most of the above are 2nd Gen trade ins. My EDC G-23 is very slide worn, I dont worry about it. If you get one take it to Mark (shooter 521) at Bradis, for a good Glock going over.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I know that I'd much rather have a Glock than an XD. :D

(Coming from a guy who only carries S&W products...)

-J-

mcolford

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 8, 2010
    Its a Glock, no questions asked you are good to go! Like mentioned it MAY have 2k rounds through it, which aint nothing really...

Llamaguy

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Arkadelphia, AR
    My Beretta was a police trade in, doesn't look to be shot much. They probably will have excessive holster wear though from being carriedand drawn so much. Shouldn't be much of a problem to get a Flock deviated to look brand new though.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I own more than several police trade ins--Smith and Ruger revovlers and Glocks mostly. I believe that they are a sound investment, carried a lot and shot not.

I bourght a Ruger Police Service Six for $175 in '96 or so and gave it to my father. He STILL shoots and carries it to this day.

1. Learn the basics on how to give used revovlers and pistols the once over. American Rifleman had a great article on this back in the early '90s and it may still be available.

2. Have a gunsmith take it to the screws to clean and inspect it after you bring it home.

357 Terms

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    Between SB and FT.W
    A few years ago my ex-wife and I bought 2 G-22's through the sheriff's dept. she works at for $285 each. One was carried (sights were dinged up a bit) and shot some. The other was like new.
    After the first range trip the visible wear was obvious, neither had been shot much at all.
    I would recomend one in a heartbeat.
    Then again I would keep the XD if it was good to ya.

Tactical Flannel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    West Central Indiana
    Most LE Glocks are in better mechanical condition than cosmetic.
    They generally are just as already stated, carried a lot, shot little.
    The two general things to be concerned with are:
    1) You get the one of a small percentage of weapons that was issued to a serious professional who shot every oppurtunity he/she got. Even at that your looking at roughly 10-15K rounds through it. New springs (recoil, etc...) and some other internals and should be good to go. A serious professional would have taken care of his life saving tool.
    2) You get one of the small percentage of weapons issued to a self proclaimed armorer and commando. Just like their non-leo conter-parts, they try to disassemble the weapon beyond their training or abilities. damaging it in one or several ways.

The odds are you'll get a cometically worn weapon that will serve you well for a very long time.
    Just have a qualified armorer inspect it first to be sure you didn't get a 'damaged' one.

Stay safe

Last edited:

cartmanfan15

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Sep 23, 2010
    Seymour, IN
    Have a Beretta 92G police trade in that shoots great. Cosmetically worn down, but shoots well and is in great shape internally. Paid a little over $400 for the gun and 2 15 round mags from Bradis. Would recommend them in a heartbeat.

Top Bottom