Retro-grouches, step forward... Let's talk J-frames!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I have a Model 40 (the old hammerless with the grip safety) that I got in the early 70's and carried as a bug for awhile as a LEO. I had a post-retirement job at one of the big box hardware stores and carried it in a belly band rig since they prohibited guns. That was a dozen or so years ago and I haven't packed it since.

If you want a belly-sized wheelgun it's hard to beat Smith's j-frame hammerless models.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Well, the hammer bobbing problem got solved. I hit a deer on the way in to work this morning and I needed some quick cash for the decuctable. So goodbye model 36. I swear my luck has to change at some point, or not.

Bosshoss

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 11, 2009
    MADISON
    Well, the hammer bobbing problem got solved. I hit a deer on the way in to work this morning and I needed some quick cash for the decuctable. So goodbye model 36. I swear my luck has to change at some point, or not.

Ouch sorry about your luck.
    If you ever get another J frame bobbing the hammer has NO affect on the timing of the gun.
    Bobbing the hammer actually has several benefits it decreases the lock time and that in turn helps accuracy. It also actually makes the revolver MORE reliable in setting off primers than a full weight hammer. This will allow the use of a lighter mainspring and still keep the revolver 100%. This only apply's to centerfire guns as the rimfires needs the hammer mass to crush the rim of the .22.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I used to pocket carry a S&W 442. I kicked it to the curb in favor of a Ruger LCR. Same concept, though.

RetDep310

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Columbus
    Pocket carry an M&P340 about 95% of the time. Had several j-frames during my early LEO career, but got swayed when we transitioned to semi-autos. Fell in love again after I retired. Qualify LEOSA/retired with it yearly, along with my M&P9c. Mostly concentrate on close-in to 15 yards when practicing. I stick with +P's instead of the magnums. Like the light weight and Big Dot sights on it. AngryRooster hit it on the head with his post. Not a beginner's gun for anyone, but once you try one, it will become an obsession.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I have the S&W Mod 40 listed above and also 2 Colt Detective Specials and a Colt Magnum Carry. I haven't shot the Smith but have shot the Det Specials and I like the way they shoot and also the fact that they carry 6 vs 5 rounds. I have shot the Magnum Carry since it was returned from Colt to correct a timing issue. But for the prices I've seen them going for on line I might not shoot it anymore. I'd like to have an early Smith Model 60 for pocket carry. The ex got my last one.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    It's hard to beat a J frame In the pocket. My most often carried is a 442 with Crimson Trace grips. I carry it in a home made leather pocket holster.

Its not not the most fun to shoot, but I make sure to put a few cylinders through it every range trip. It point shoots pretty well for mean d the laser helps out if it's too dark to see the sights well.

Vanguard.45

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    May 3, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Smith and Wesson Model 60 in .357 Magnum.

Almost sold it here, but luckily there were no takers. Great little gun with plenty of juice if needed in the .357 flavor.

I like the weight of the Model 60 and it is a joy to shoot. Trigger is amazing, especially in single action.

stevee

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2013
    Avon
    The wife has a nice Chiefs Special, Model 36, 2" barrel, nickel finish. She bought it new in the mid-seventies. She still has the box and literature.

Hoosier Gal

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 21, 2013
    NE
    I have a s&w 351pd airlite 22 mag and just picked up a s&W 36LS 38 special (that's definitely retro), but looks brand new! I haven't been able to try out the 36LS yet due to the weather, but I have no problem with the 351pd. I might not be dead on center mass, but I can get a nice grouping in the target.

I didn't know jframe owners were grouchy though, but hey I have my moments. ;)

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I don't look at the J-frame as being retro. It is the best solution to my needs for a carry pistol. I have not ridden without one on the bicycle for over 5 years and I have carried it in a jersey pocket, belly band holster and currently in a Survival Sheath Systems chest holster. I originally liked to carry CCI shotshells as the first two shots and then some type of personal defense rounds for dogs, now I consider the two legged and four wheeled predators more of my primary threat so it is straight hard cast lead WFN bullets.

Top Bottom