• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    anybody tell them we have a black president? There's no higher job in the world. No more excuses, no need for affirmative action.

ride22

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 2, 2009
    I'm sorry, but there is no such thing as reverse racism. Racism is Racism no matter what the color.

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    Sorry but this is BS. I don't care if you're the big green purple people eater. If you can watch my 6 competently, it shouldn't matter what color God made you.

I think a lot of the people at the NAACP miss this point.

Especially in a job such as Emergency Services (Fire, Police, EMT), you should be qualified and or promoted/hired based on your skills and your ability, not your color.

Minority? Who's the minority now? Seriously.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I think a lot of the people at the NAACP miss this point.

We can't be equal, the NAACP, Jesse Jackson, Sharpton and Rev Wright would be out of a job, because they'd have nothing to talk about, nor sheep to lead.

Now worries though, Holder is going to "right those racial wrongs"....

WASHINGTON - For decades, the face of the criminal justice system in this country has been black and male: hundreds of thousands locked behind bars, arrested in disproportionate numbers and facing execution at rates far greater than those for the general population.

This week, Eric H. Holder Jr.'s swearing-in as the nation's first black attorney general and its top law enforcement official came weighted with heavy expectation that the system could change.

Heavy expectations for Holder - Washington Post- msnbc.com

IUGradStudent

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 1, 2008
    Bloomington, IN
    We can't be equal, the NAACP, Jesse Jackson, Sharpton and Rev Wright would be out of a job, because they'd have nothing to talk about, nor sheep to lead.

This is exactly right. There are whole departments of academia, also, whose only purpose is to try to study and counteract "oppression." Their livelihood depends upon there being a problem which need attention. If that problem were to accidentally get fixed, they'd be out of a job.

It's just like someone who gets paid by the hour instead of the job and so drags things out longer than necessary (unlike the guy who gets paid by the job who blows through it too quickly and cuts corners :D). Think of these academics as people who get paid by the year. They need their problem to stretch out over decades and generations, not just weeks and months.

:chillout:

Paul

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Brownsburg
    In todays world, a white male is screwed the most trying to get a job. Just look at IUPUI, the have Society of Black Engineers and Society of Women Engineers. What if I started the Society of White Engineers? I would be a racist....wtf...i just dont get it.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    The funny thing is that academia is one of the most segregated areas of society. It's another of the liberal "do as I say, not as I do" soapboxes.

This is exactly right. There are whole departments of academia, also, whose only purpose is to try to study and counteract "oppression." Their livelihood depends upon there being a problem which need attention. If that problem were to accidentally get fixed, they'd be out of a job.

It's just like someone who gets paid by the hour instead of the job and so drags things out longer than necessary (unlike the guy who gets paid by the job who blows through it too quickly and cuts corners :D). Think of these academics as people who get paid by the year. They need their problem to stretch out over decades and generations, not just weeks and months.

:chillout:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008

Now worries though, Holder is going to "right those racial wrongs"....

Heavy expectations for Holder - Washington Post- msnbc.com

From memory so I may have the details off (but the gist is here):
    Woman at party: "He's racist, you know. He kills more blacks than whites."
    Man at party: "That's because there are more black muggers than white muggers. Should we increase the proportion of white muggers so that there's racial equality among muggers?"
    Paul Kersey (overhearing conversation) to friend: "Racial equality among muggers. That's good."

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    The NAACP is grasping at straws here. Doesn't this crap ever get old???
    beatdeadhorse.gif

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    anybody tell them we have a black president? There's no higher job in the world. No more excuses, no need for affirmative action.
    A ( Historic Time ) just because he's black? Sounds racist to me and WTH is Afro-American,Hispanic-American,Latin-Americans,etc? Are they not all just Americans?:dunno:

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    I agree that Affirmative Action is morally objectionable when examined at an individual level, but think of the big picture:
    - 72.1% of whites own their own home opposed to 48.1% for African Americans
    - 46% of whites had help from their family in making down payments on homes compared to 12% for African Americans
    - Whites are half as likely to be turned down for a mortgage or home improvement loan
    - Whites pay on average a 8.12% interest rate on their mortgage, lower than the 8.44% African Americans pay on average
    - The median home equity for whites is $58,000 compared to $40,000 for African Americans
    - In 1980, black males on average were over 60% more likely to endure unemployment than whites. Also, their time in unemployment is 30% longer than that of white males.
    - As of 1978, black males on average receive 40% lower wages a week than that of whites, even if they have the same schooling and job experience.
    - In 2005, homicide victimization rates for blacks were 6 times higher than the rates for whites.
    - In 2005, offending rates for blacks were more than 7 times higher than the rates for whites

Affirmative action is intended to correct a "sickness" in our society. I can't think of an alternative to it....

Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    I agree that Affirmative Action is morally objectionable when examined at an individual level, but think of the big picture:
    - 72.1% of whites own their own home opposed to 48.1% for African Americans
    - 46% of whites had help from their family in making down payments on homes compared to 12% for African Americans
    - Whites are half as likely to be turned down for a mortgage or home improvement loan
    - Whites pay on average a 8.12% interest rate on their mortgage, lower than the 8.44% African Americans pay on average
    - The median home equity for whites is $58,000 compared to $40,000 for African Americans
    - In 1980, black males on average were over 60% more likely to endure unemployment than whites. Also, their time in unemployment is 30% longer than that of white males.
    - As of 1978, black males on average receive 40% lower wages a week than that of whites, even if they have the same schooling and job experience.
    - In 2005, homicide victimization rates for blacks were 6 times higher than the rates for whites.
    - In 2005, offending rates for blacks were more than 7 times higher than the rates for whites

Affirmative action is intended to correct a "sickness" in our society. I can't think of an alternative to it....
    You call it "sickness". That's funny,you quote statistics that are 30 years old,crime stats that are more black on black crimes and you say it"s everyone elses fault,so we should have laws to make us give people jobs they don't deserve just because of their color or race,now that is sick. You want alternative -work for it like everyone else has to.In case you didn't know it,it is a dog eat dog world.

m_deaner

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 1, 2008
    Eastside Indy
    Two of my statistics are old. The rest are modern.

So what's your solution to fix racial inequalities? Many of which are rooted in racially discriminatory policies in the past?

Last edited:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Two of my statistics are old. The rest are modern.

So what's your solution to fix racial inequalities? Many of which are rooted in racially discriminatory policies in the past?

"Physician heal thyself."

A lot of those problems you list have nothing to do with racism.

Consider: the best way to escape or avoid poverty is to complete school, get a job, get married, and have kids. In. That. Order. Some slack is allowed for part time jobs during school, but those jobs must not be allowed to interfere with the primary duty of completing school. As much as the Al Sharptons of the world would like you to believe, it's not racism, at least not racism by "whites," that causes more black youths to drop out of school.

Consider: one of the best predictors of whether children born "poor" will continue poor as adults is if they are growing up in single-parent homes. It's not racism, again, at least not racism by whites, more children in single-parent homes to be black then white.

Consider: Children in single-parent families, by Race - Comparisons by Topic

The success or not (financially, in business, etc.) of the groups maps pretty well to the rates where kids are growing up in single parent homes.

It's easy to cry "racism" and try to apply a bandaid of "affirmative action." It requires a little more effort to actually address the root causes of the problems. These "black community leaders" should be pushing for strong black families--families where there there are both parents in a stable relationship. That would do far more for furthering "equality" than any affirmative action ever could.

Once upon a time, one of the highest forms of praise that could be given to a man was that he was a "good family man." As a culture as a whole, we've been drifting entirely too far from that for entirely too long. And simply looking at the results in various subcultures in the US should show us the pitfalls of continuing down that road. I'm not just talking about race and affirmative action here now, but about everyone. The "playa" who never settles down is too much venerated these days and the cost to society is serious.

Top Bottom