• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Arthur Dent

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Everything about this gun is manly. Loading the magazine is a Herculean task. Once you get to the fifth round it requires Herculean strength or a speed loader-type device to get the last two rounds in.

Once the magazine is in it's fairly well balanced, weight-wise. The grip is rather large, not quite Beretta 32 large, but large enough to let you know your best bet will be a two handed grip. Plus the weight of the gun screams "You're gonna need two hands on this one."

Pulling the slide back to chamber the first round is quite a challenge. Two recoil springs are fighting you the whole way. Plus the mechanical noise is very satisfying when you do so. Quite possibly the best home defense should you happen to find yourself without ammo as just the near car crash sound of just pulling and releasing the slide will let any home intruders know exactly what you are doing and they'll make a hasty exit.

Aiming is pretty straight forward and relatively easy. The safety is stiff and requires a firm push. Trigger pull is the easiest part of firing. But be ready for the massive recoil and colossal boom. Ear-ringing boom if you don't have ear protection. Made the mistake of firing with a loose earplug that fell out at just the right time.

Anyway, recoil makes rapid fire an exercise in futility unless your target can fly. Reacquiring your target isn't easy as it's like aiming fresh with each trigger pull.

The only real fly in the ointment is the shell casings ejecting up rather than to the side. So wear eye protection and a cap of some sort.

All in all the .50 Desert Eagle could basically be called a toy. At best it would be a back-up gun when hunting in the woods and there's a chance of an encounter with a bear, but then you'd probably want the reliability of a revolver. It's fun to shoot, but really isn't practical. From the effort to load, the recoil and shell casings bouncing off your forehead it isn't something you'd want to shoot on a regular basis. Plus it's expensive to shoot. From $1.50 to $2 a round expensive. It would be nice just to have one for the sake of having it.

remymartin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I had the joy of CC ing one of these at a night out with friends. My buddy was still waiting on his LTCH, I had mine, so I asked if I could carry it for the evening. All I have to say, is at 3 o'clock IWB.... it makes a pretty decent armrest.

Top Bottom