Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    A2 Flash Hider vs. BattleComp 2.0
    by esrice

1300995650340-903208202.jpeg

During this past weekend's range outing, I enlisted the help of shooter521 and troy_mp to help me film a comparison of the new BattleComp 2.0 to the standard A2 flash hider. This particular test compared the BattleComp's muzzle rise eliminating capabilities. I will do a flash hiding comparison at a later date.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc5sjVDQGnEhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zc5sjVDQGnE

Here were my impressions:

First, I think we may have used an inappropriate host. Allow me to clarify. . .

This was my first time firing my Noveske 10.5" upper. I was VERY surprised at how little muzzle rise it had in the first place, regardless of the fact that it utilized a standard A2 flash hider-- especially since it has a 10.5" barrel and I'm used to shooting 16" guns. Because of this, I don't think the felt difference (which was considerable) translated as well on film.

So keeping that in mind, allow me to attempt to quantify the differences I felt between the standard A2 and the BattleComp 2.0.

Shooting with the BC2 was very different than shooting with the A2. It made the recoil impulse feel light and "hollow" (if that makes any sense). When a round would go off, it was almost as if the gun became momentarily lighter. There is a clear yet noticeable gas "cloud" that comes out the front in an up and out direction.

When looking through an optic, such as my Aimpoint H1, I noticed a shrinking of my typical "wobble zone" during strings of fire. I was able to keep the dot on target and spend less time bringing it back down to point-of-impact.

Shooting was slightly more "blasty" with the BC2, but not anything like a traditional compensator. Shooters on my left and right could feel some concussion, but it wasn't uncomfortable and they both reported that they would be able to sustain an entire training class next to the gun without issue.

I've asked my partners-in-crime to respond here with their impressions, as everyone's shooting experience is unique.

Hey folks ... troy_mp here. esrice and shooter521 were gracious in letting me shoot the aforementioned configuration(s), (i.e.), a.) the carbine with just the BattleComp 2.0 compensator/flash hider and b.) the carbine with both the BattleComp 2.0 and the GEMTECH HALO 5.56 suppressor.

"Wobble zone", good phrase esrice, (i.e.), since we're mostly made out of water imagine a kind of circle typical for you, (anyone), when you hold, aim and fire a weapon. When shooting supported, one's "wobble zone" is small. When standing unsupported, one's "wobble zone" is comparatively larger.

First, configuration "a.) the carbine with just the BattleComp 2.0 compensator/flash hider": A pronounced diminution in recoil and "wobble zone" when compared with most OEM compensator/flash hiders like my S&W MP 15 AR's A2 "birdcage". In the way of reference, my "wobble zone" went from something like a grapefruit with my A2 to something more akin to a baseball.

Second, configuration "b.) the carbine with both the BattleComp 2.0 and the GEMTECH HALO 5.56 suppressor": Same reduction in recoil as per "a.) ..." but an even greater reduction in "wobble zone", (i.e.), went from a baseball to a golf ball. Quite amazing really. My anecdotal hunch as to why? The added weight of the GEMTECH HALO 5.56 suppressor more perfectly weighted the weapon so that under fire, muzzle rise was even more completely mitigated. Additionally, the off-gassing properties of both the suppressor and the compensator.

shooter521 and esrice can go more into the perfection that is the mating combo. between this particular compensator/flash hider and suppressor. The brief conversation that the three of us had educated me to the fact that such pairings are not often as seamless and ideal as this specific joining.

We were able to shoot/witness the suppresed configuration without any ear protection whatsoever. In the 15 to 20 mph avg. wind speed we were experiencing, the downwind noise from ~20 yds. away was basically akin to a hands clap. On the upwind side, same distance ... the whisper of an ardent lover.

This latter configuration is enough to make a man think about raiding the offertory plate at Sunday morning services. Shameful I know. And yet as "sins" go ... wholly understandable.

Guard your wallets boys. In the words of Tina Fey, "I want to go to there."

Two comments I made to esrice upon shooting his Mk18/BC2.0 combo:

1) "The noise and blast don't match the recoil"
    I think this is what Evan is trying to get at when he describes the feeling as "hollow" and "the gun getting momentarily lighter". The report and muzzle blast/gas cloud are indicative of a much larger-caliber weapon, yet the red dot doesn't move off target hardly at all, even under rapid fire.

2) "I think I might be more impressed [by the BC2.0] than you are!"
    Evan hasn't had as much trigger time on SBRs or comped rifles as I have, and as such may not be the best judge of character, so to speak. As a spectator, I found the muzzle report from the BC to be only a little louder than the A2, but noticeably sharper or more concussive. There was also a significant amount of outgassing, as one would expect from any compensator worth its salt. As a shooter, I found the BC to be an excellent compensator. I wouldn't characterize its effect as reducing the wobble zone (a movement caused by the shooter) as much as reducing the muzzle lift (a movement caused by the gun). However you want to describe it, the net effect was that followup shots came much faster in rapid fire. Couple the BC with a naturally soft shooting caliber/platform and good technique, and you have the potential to become a "frickin' laser". ;)

I would like to shoot the BC against my VLTOR VC1 and Smith Enterprises DC on the same gun, with the same ammo, in order to better evaluate characteristics like sound, blast, flash, compensation and accuracy compared to other systems. In the meantime, I'm saving my pennies, as I think I will need a few of these. :)

Installation is the same as every other muzzle device for your AR. BattleComp Enterprises includes a shim kit of various sized shims to ensure a proper alignment. Simply unscrew your A2, remove the crush washer, slip on the correct combo of shims, and screw on the BattleComp such that the company logo is facing straight down.

The BC2 is a nice looking brake. It resembles a KAC Triple Tap brake, but for considerably less $$. At $165, however, its still more expensive than most popular flash hiders and brakes currently on the market.

4fwbdj.jpg

It is dimensionally the exact same size as the standard A2 which means it has the added benefit of being compatible with the GEMTECH HALO 5.56 suppressor.

2e0odar.jpg

You can purchase the BattleComp 2.0 direct from BattleComp Enterprises, or from a few select online vendors. I'm not aware of anyone that carries them locally.

Battle Comp Enterprises, LLC

Feel free to ask questions and I'll attempt to answer them. Bear in mind that you really do need to shoot one to understand it, but I'll do my best to answer your questions. As always, anyone is welcome to shoot it on my SBR if you're interested.

:ingo:

Original thread here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ear/144217-review_a2_vs_battlecomp_2_0_a.html

Last edited:
    Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom